Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88
Results 1,741 to 1,759 of 1759

Thread: Tactica: Dark Elves in 8th edition

Re: Tactica: Dark Elves in 8th edition

Yes and no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf FAQ, p. 3
    Q:In combining Manbane and Rending Stars, which ability
    happens first, the +1 Strength from the Stars or the raising of the
    basic Strength to +1 above the target's Toughness? (p99)
    A: The player whose turn is taking place chooses
    So on your turn, your S will be their T+1. On their turn, they will likely choose otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNNiX
    If I wasn't completely against the lame practice of "sigging" people's comments, I would sig this one.

Thanks for the clarification!!
    -POW

"These xenos think they can prey upon mankind like sheep, I intend on showing them the error of their ways" - Bulveye Wolf Lord of the 13th Great Company
    "Though the storm rages and the foe gathers about us, we are unmoved. Let them come: we are the warriors of the First Legion, and we have never known defeat!" - Brother-Redemptor Nemiel

Last post here was written 3 months before we got a new book. In two months it's a whole year since we've had the book and no one wrote or asked?
    Look alive brothers! And lets share some true 8th ed strategies and tactics! It's time to revive this thread!
    Fantasy:
    Dark Elves - 5800pts
    Tomb Kings - 1500pts

Quote Originally Posted by 75hastings69 View Post
    RIP Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

​40k:
    Imperial Fists - 1500
    Black Templars - 1000
    IG - coming soon! Still coming! 27.7.2015.!

Commander

I think, more than anything, we need a new thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I was not poo pooing his poo poo. I was agreeing with his poo poo. everyone knows you can never poo poo a poo poo.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
    Nevermore.

Well, there's hardly any Tactica alive anymore. C'est la vue (as they say in some parts of Louisiana) when an edition is nearing its end.

Take doomfire warlocks put all your characters in them on dark steeds: smash face...

The up to date one is either ↑ or ↓. It is D.E. tactica.
    "The path we walk is not so straight and there is no end to the figure eight."

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Having recently acquired a sizeable Dark Elf army, I'd like some pointers on them for 8th edition with their last armybook.
    I've played one battle against Lizardmen so far and got thoroughly stomped.

Are bolt trowers still solid choices? I took two in my list, but they didn't really earn their points back.
    Crossbows also underperformed a bit (except on Shades - they're lethal!).
    Then again, my opponent was fielding three big blocks of Saurus...
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Bolt throwers are better choices than they were in the previous book (they got cheaper) but I've always found they struggle to hit anything unless you get their deployment spot-on. If they're behind units and not on a hill, you're probably at long range too, and then you're needing 5+ or 6+ to hit. If you can get them on a hill or staring down a corridor between scenery that your opponent wants to charge down, they'll do well, but otherwise they won't do much.

Darkshards are great, but can't hide at the back of your army like High Elf archers. They should actually work well against Saurus warriors, particularly if you're using Shadow magic with them (the Withering to reduce toughness, or Miasma to slow your opponent down so you get more shots off).

There's lots of different ways to play Dark Elves - do you have particular units or approaches you like to use, because then it's easier to suggest how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by sedgey View Post
    Bolt throwers are better choices than they were in the previous book (they got cheaper) but I've always found they struggle to hit anything unless you get their deployment spot-on. If they're behind units and not on a hill, you're probably at long range too, and then you're needing 5+ or 6+ to hit. If you can get them on a hill or staring down a corridor between scenery that your opponent wants to charge down, they'll do well, but otherwise they won't do much.
    They hit on 4+ at long range, right? Reapers don't have the multishot penalty that repeater crossbows have unless I'm mistaken.

So they hit Saurusses at long range on a 4+, wound them on a 4+ and the Saurusses still have a 6+ save after that (+5 Scaly Skin + shield).
    That's a not-so-impressive 1.5 kills for 6 bolts on average. Three turns of shooting will barely make a dent in unit of 30. Even with two of them you won't do major damage.

My brother played Dark Elves for a while during 5th and 6th edition, and according to him my problem is that I didn't take enough bolt throwers
    Why take 2 when you can take 4? They are indeed rather cheap in this edition so I've included 4 in my new list.

Darkshards are great, but can't hide at the back of your army like High Elf archers. They should actually work well against Saurus warriors, particularly if you're using Shadow magic with them (the Withering to reduce toughness, or Miasma to slow your opponent down so you get more shots off).
    I indeed read that Dark Elves work well with Shadow Magic, but I'm struggling to find points for a second spellcaster.
    Currently I field a Level 4 High Sorceress using Dark Magic (I like that lore - as my user name implies ).

There's lots of different ways to play Dark Elves - do you have particular units or approaches you like to use, because then it's easier to suggest how to use them.
    Since I prefer playing with painted models only, I'm a bit bound by what I bought.

I can field any combination of:
    10 Dark Riders with a musician and a standard
    20 Shades with a champion
    2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
    1 War Hydra with two handlers
    16 Black Guard with a champion and a musician
    17 Crossbowmen with a champion
    23 Spearmen with full command
    21 Corsairs with full command
    20 Witch Elves with champion and a standard
    10 Swordsmen with a champion and a standard
    5 Cold One Knights with a champion and a standard
    5 Cold One Knights with a champion

2 Assassins
    1 mounted Sorceress
    1 Sorceress on foot
    1 Battle Standard Bearer on a Cold One
    1 Hero/Lord on a Cold One
    1 Hero/Lord on a barded Dark Steed
    1 Hero/Lord on foot

I got my brother's Dark Elves as well but barely a third of those are painted and everything is spread out over various boxes so I'm not entirely sure what the size of his force is/was.
    There are two painted bolt throwers that I will be fielding next time for a total of 4.

The list I used against Lizardmen (knowing that my opponent usually fields a fully tooled up Slann with one or two Skink Priests) was this:

High Sorceress LVL4 (as my general) with a Dispell Scroll
    Master on Dark Steed with the Ring of Hotek
    9 Dark Riders with spears and crossbows (retinue for the Master)
    29 Dreadspears with full command (retinue for the sorceress)
    16 Darkshards
    20 Witch Elves with full command
    8 Shades
    5 Cold One knights with full command
    1 War Hydra
    2 Reaper Bolt Throwers

The intention was to use the Master to force Miscasts on the Slann but this proved a bit fickle.
    I had also hoped my Dreadspears would be able to hold out at least one turn against a unit of Saurus so I could flank with the Witch Elves or Cold Ones, but that proved idle hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    They hit on 4+ at long range, right? Reapers don't have the multishot penalty that repeater crossbows have unless I'm mistaken.

So they hit Saurusses at long range on a 4+, wound them on a 4+ and the Saurusses still have a 6+ save after that (+5 Scaly Skin + shield).
    That's a not-so-impressive 1.5 kills for 6 bolts on average. Three turns of shooting will barely make a dent in unit of 30. Even with two of them you won't do major damage.

My brother played Dark Elves for a while during 5th and 6th edition, and according to him my problem is that I didn't take enough bolt throwers
    Why take 2 when you can take 4? They are indeed rather cheap in this edition so I've included 4 in my new list.
    I guess they're better for the threat of what they could do than what they actually reliably deliver. The single-shot mode can potentially skewer a rank of cavalry or monster, so your opponent might feel the need to stay out of their line of sight, even if the risk of being hit/wounded is low. Then when you don't have any big targets to shoot at, at least you have multi shot to take out one or two infantry models instead.

I indeed read that Dark Elves work well with Shadow Magic, but I'm struggling to find points for a second spellcaster.
    Currently I field a Level 4 High Sorceress using Dark Magic (I like that lore - as my user name implies ).

Shadow has relatively high casting values for the good spells, and a couple of weaker ones (pendulum, steed of shadows), so to reliably get and use the better spells, you'd need a level 4. If you'd prefer to keep blasting things with dark magic, then a level 1 shadow sorceress (usually with dispel scroll) can still be useful, as the signature spell miasma is a reliable choice with a great range and casting value, that you can always find a use for.

The list I used against Lizardmen (knowing that my opponent usually fields a fully tooled up Slann with one or two Skink Priests) was this:

High Sorceress LVL4 (as my general) with a Dispell Scroll
    Master on Dark Steed with the Ring of Hotek
    9 Dark Riders with spears and crossbows (retinue for the Master)
    29 Dreadspears with full command (retinue for the sorceress)
    16 Darkshards
    20 Witch Elves with full command
    8 Shades
    5 Cold One knights with full command
    1 War Hydra
    2 Reaper Bolt Throwers

The intention was to use the Master to force Miscasts on the Slann but this proved a bit fickle.
    I had also hoped my Dreadspears would be able to hold out at least one turn against a unit of Saurus so I could flank with the Witch Elves or Cold Ones, but that proved idle hope.
    Spears sadly are almost always inferior to hand weapon + shield, and the parry save it brings - spear elves look great, but just aren't very durable or good at killing things for their cost. 10 bleakswords isn't really enough to do anything, so the Corsairs would have been more useful. I'd recommend also putting your foot sorceress in the darkshards - like them, she wants to be out of combat, blasting things from medium range. Dreadspears/Bleakswords are for holding units in combat, and you don't want a sorceress in a fight like that.

The dark rider experiment looks like a fun thing to try, even if it isn't the strongest option. Substituting the master and 5 of the dark riders out for the black guard would give you another infantry unit like the witch elves who could murder saurus in combat - and get slaughtered in turn when they strike back - but at least they'd hold their ground, potentially allowing that flank charge.

My other armies are Orcs & Goblins (who can't take college magic) and Vampire Counts (who need Lore of Vampires to keep the army up and running) so I never gave the other lores a real good look.
    Having done so now I'm temped to switch to Lore of Shadow. Everything except the first two spells is VERY useful

Since I prefer playing with painted models only, I'm a bit bound by what I bought.

I can field any combination of:
    10 Dark Riders with a musician and a standard
    20 Shades with a champion
    2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
    1 War Hydra with two handlers
    16 Black Guard with a champion and a musician
    17 Crossbowmen with a champion
    23 Spearmen with full command
    21 Corsairs with full command
    20 Witch Elves with champion and a standard
    10 Swordsmen with a champion and a standard
    5 Cold One Knights with a champion and a standard
    5 Cold One Knights with a champion

2 Assassins
    1 mounted Sorceress
    1 Sorceress on foot
    1 Battle Standard Bearer on a Cold One
    1 Hero/Lord on a Cold One
    1 Hero/Lord on a barded Dark Steed
    1 Hero/Lord on foot
    And they have such great paint jobs.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Interested in buying Kasrkin Special Weapon Trooper, OOP Sisters of Battle with Standard, OOP Dark Reaper weapons

Made me all the more guilty about losing

Second game went a lot smoother.
    Four reapers is indeed better than two

Game three was a massive win for me. Only lost my Shades.
    I think I may have put my opponent off his all-Skink list though

Nice work.
    I haven’t touched fantasy since I lost my passion for it.
    Used to love doing the morathii tour Le dark magic in a turn.
    No idea what peeps do now days.
    I’ll keep an eye on here for future stuff, it’s always fun.

I have two unassembled Morathi's at the moment.
    One bought second-hand (metal and plastic, partly painted but needs some work) and the other from the GW sale a few months ago (finecast *shudders*).

Was thinking of converting one of them to a hero(in) on pegasus but I don't know how difficult this well be... Morathi's legs are part of the pegasus :-/

Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88