Yea, I think we all agree about how magic in Tolkien is fundamentally different from other settings, in that itīs not just another form of cause-effect technology, but really something intrinsic to the natural world. That magical world, in the sense that mountains and rivers, beasts and plants all are alive and interlinked with themselves and the powers is something that I really love about his work and that sets it apart from most other fantasy stories, in that it really creates a feeling of being in a different world, not just our current mentality tranported to a medieval/fantasy surrounding.

There were several really good posts explaining it better and I wonīt dwell too much on it again. I only commented because, even so, there is also every so often more explicit magic, particularly when the big guys, like Mayas and Istari, do it. Morgothīs creation of the orcs by twisting the elves and Sauronīs necromancy is pretty "high" magical too.

As to the games, I guess I never perceived the possibility of too explicit magic in lotr/wotr because the way my gaming group plays these systems is quite fluff and background focused. Still, despite some possible exaggerations in WOTR, both systems are clearly different to other "high magic" systems.

PS. Yes, the Tupinamba and the whole history of Brazilian colonizations and its wars are quite interesting and could give good tabletop inspiration. Someday Iīll build my "Bandeirantes" themed Empire force for WHFB, with Tupis as free company and flagellants.