Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ace XT's Catachans (not really a log)

Re: Ace XT's Catachans (not really a log)

have the second guy stood up casually leaning on the bolter, and i wouldn't worry about not matching the paint as IRL the forces have loads of old and new paint hanging about so its often vehicles dont match perfectly
    Flashheart: Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves. I wouldn't want them on my conscience, not when they ought to be on my face!

Nice work on the conversion AceXT.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Metal Bretonnians, Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Thank you guys! The issue with another crew interacting with the heavy bolter is that the bolter is magnetized and would only be used for the Salamander. If I add another guy, I need to leave space for the gun somehow. I have more bitz coming in from Victoria and maxmini, then I'll see what I can add.

Like many Catachan players, I've struggled to reconcile that a) Catachans are obviously the most awesome regiment, while b) the GW Catachan plastic range is only decent (HW squad) to very bad (Infantry squad). Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of viable alternatives, but here's an Infantry squad assembled from various bitz manufacturers:

Using bits from Victoria (most legs, torso, arms), Maxmini (most torsos, arms, sadly OOP), Anvil (heads, arms), Puppetswar (heads), Mad Robot (torso), and GW (heads, guns). Painted mostly with Contrast.

Very impressive stuff, I like 'em

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

Look still look's awesome. Great IG squad mate.
    Last edited by Colonel Jacka; 08-05-2020 at 21:36.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

AceXT,

The style and quality of the Catachans was the reason I ended up selling both my painted armies of jungle fighters.

The squad you have assembled looks very nice.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Metal Bretonnians, Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Yeah, the plastic Catachans haven't aged well and they were bad to begin with. The core of my infantry are three squads of 2e metal Catachans, which are still great sculpts. I built another squad from command squad and heavy weapon squad parts, and now this one from third party bitz. Given that Catachan are one of the main Guard regiments, I'm still puzzled that there's so few good bitz for them. All you need is heads with bandanas, torsos with vests or undershirts, and bare arms (preferably muscular).

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, you guys.

Since my FLGS is awesome, I now have this guy:

And to my surprise, he comes with a fabulous beardy mohawk head as well, which makes for a challenging decision: cap/'stache or 'hawk/beard? I never liked the cap for Catachans, but I love Predator, so the Carl Weathers tribute should be a lock. However, the mohawk fits better with my existing dudes, and the beard is pretty cool.

Sweet, I look forward to seeing what you do with him. For what it's worth I vote for Carl . Having said that I bet it'd be a cinch to turn the hawk head into Mr T

You know I thought I knew every guard figure, but I have no memory of this guy. Is he an individual figure or one that was produced only for an Army box?
    Colonel Jacka

Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

He's a brand new limited figure that GW just sent out to stores as a giveaway. There was a whole kerfuffle on the internet about people wanting him and having to spend hundreds on ebay and so forth. I just asked my FLGS, and they gave me one of their two. I hope he and the limited Sarge are signs of new plastic Catachans to come.

He's new? Wait what limited Sgt???????????
    Colonel Jacka

The Veteran Sergeant was announced two months ago, and you can only get her at new store openings. It's a bit of a bummer, because I really like her, but I shouldn't complain with my shiny new Colonel.

Bugger you COVID-19! I feel shame I have lost touch on all things IG! Well just a little.
    Colonel Jacka

Just blame the whims of warp travel if you find yourself behind the times.

Both are great looking miniatures. I wish they had not made them so laid back. A little more aggressive posture would have been good. I know be kind.
    Colonel Jacka

Here's something more unusual:

Model kit company Meng makes cute deformed versions of WW2 tanks under the label "World War Toons." I got some to turn into Grot Tanks, and figured their French Char 2b might actually make a decent Imperial vehicle. I decided to turn it into a Hellhound, since it's the closest match for the Char's shape. The size is close, but not perfect - length and height are fine, but the hull is not wide enough.

Here's a WiP update for a change. As this thread has doubtlessly established, I have a certain weakness for Guard tanks and conversions, so when Blood & Skulls Industry came out with a kit that basically turns a Chimera into a Leman Russ ("Scorpio"), I had to get one. It's not cheap, especially when you make a complete tank with side armor, sponsons, weapons, and tracks, but the design and cast quality are great. There was some bending on the larger parts, which I was able to fix with a hair dryer. Here's a WiP shot:

With all the resin extras, I used only a small part of the base vehicle, so I figured I could complete the rest with some plasticard. I had picked a Wyvern as a base, since it comes with its own front piece. Using the original parts as templates, I cut out 1mm and 2mm plasticard and arranged them using the original parts as guides.

It all worked out rather well, so I now have two tanks for the price of... three, probably.

Painting will take a while.

Love the colours and the painting AceXT- really rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast