Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ace XT's Catachans (not really a log)

Re: Ace XT's Catachans (not really a log)

Sharp work on the latest troops and that Meng toon tank is spot on for a Hellhound... good choice .
    Another day older; another day closer to the grave.

I have a blog here: http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

and a Grymn blog here: http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

The Char 2b is giving me some vietnam sheridan vibes, very cool! Your tank cost efficiencies are worth it

Thank you guys! Assembly is now complete, just waiting for better weather to begin basecoating and camo:

Despite my tank affinity, I've never actually built the Wyvern/Hydra kit, and I'm surprised by how poorly thought out it is. The mortars can't elevate, and while the gun platform is pretty neat, the shield stops it from rotating. Between this and the Taurox, 2014 wasn't exactly a great year for Guard vehicles. It's odd, given how good the 2009 Russ and Chimera makeovers were.

The Chimera Russ / Scorpio is done. First, in Punisher configuration:

It can also do classic LRBT:

As well as slim Demolisher:

It's a cool kit, and the system for magnetization is pretty solid. The dimensions don't match a Russ, of course, but I don't know if anyone will take serious issue withthis one.

Nice tank - I usually find that third party producers have much better modular options. I'm going to start magnetizing my Russes using Victoria Miniatures Matilda turrets. I feel like it's necessary to do this as the meta seems to change weekly when it comes to 40k!!

Thanks! Magnetizing your tanks has been a good idea for many editions now, and ease of magnetization is definitely a plus for many bitz manufacturers. In this case, all the weapons and mounts came with slots for 3mm magnets (or rather the Imperial equivalent, but close enough), I just had to make my own magnet support for the hull bolter. I don't have any experience with the Victoria tanks, but their infantry are great quality.

Completed the Wyvern:

Still not fond of the whole mortar platform, but as a byproduct of the ChimeraRuss it's okay, I guess.

Also, since this is likely the last Guard vehicle for a bit, I decided to take a picture of my assembled armor:

23 vehicles over just as many years, coincidentally. Flyers and walkers not pictured.

Wonderful painting on the Wyvern. Your whole collection looks fantastic AceXT; your conversion work is top notch; all the vehicles fit together really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Very nice motor pool, the punisher looks really good!

Great work AceXT.

5/5

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Metal Bretonnians, Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Cool collection! How do you do the weathering on your tanks? The brown specs specifically.

Thank you guys! For the weathering, I use sponge technique. Take some leftover sponge/soft foam, get some brown (or grey) paint on it and carefully dab it on the model, especially along edges where you expect wear. Then do it again with metal paint, but more sparingly. GW did a pretty decent tutorial here.

In other news, I was given this as a gift today:

Well, I guess I'll be doing another tank after all! Just when I thought I was out...

Update: build almost complete.

There's been a few rough spots - some of the connections are poorly conceived, and the instructions aren't perfect either. It did go together okay in the end, though, and considering it's the first plastic tank by that company, it's pretty good.

In terms of design, it's a bit of a hybrid between Leman Russ (track profile, MBT turret) and Chimera (hull, transport capacity). I want to run it as a Chimera, so I swapped the main gun for a choice of multilaser or flamer, and added the hull weapon to the turret as well.

Looks a nice bit of kit, may take a punt in one. But I have a mountain of plastic shame to do before I would get it
    Flashheart: Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves. I wouldn't want them on my conscience, not when they ought to be on my face!

Quick pic from today's game:

Against better judgment, I ran a mechanized battalion because, duh, tanks. It went very, very poorly. Playing Blood Angels and going second didn't help, but I'm afraid there's few arguments for a transport heavy Guard list in 9e.

Ah man... I used to use a an Armoured Battlegroup list back in The Good Ol' Days; I only remember winning one game. I'm pretty sure there was never a time when a transport heavy guard list did well .

There was a time during 6e, I think, when Melta Vets in Chimeras were all the rage. Now Meltas are back, and I think Chimeras might still have a chance of working against the right opponents, at least.

Finished the Rampart Wolverine tank:

The tank commander is from Victoria miniatures. She's a bit on the small side, which makes the already huge tank look even bigger.

The large flamer is from Blood and Skulls, and might credibly stand in for a Hellhound. I also magnetized the whole deal, so it can do Multilaser and Heavy Bolter as well:

Overall, it's a huge kinda oddball tank that doesn't fit the established types perfectly, but works well enough.

As usual in this thread the painting is excellent- nice and crisp. Great looking transport.

I didnít care for the looks of those rampart tanks but the way you got it set up and the great paint job make it pretty cool!

Thank you guys! I had to think hard about the setup, and considered putting the Flamer/Bolter in the hull, replacing the superfluous central viewing port/hatch (why does it have that and Rhino-style viewing ports?). But then I'd still be left with a ginormous turret and an off-center main gun, so adding the secondary weapon to the turret helped rebalance it. I'm pretty happy with how the whole thing turned out. Now I'll just have to give the Armored Infantry another shot!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast