Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Druchii corsairs, are they sexist?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Druchii corsairs, are they sexist?

Basically just wanted to know if there was any fluff basis for corsairs to be all men, or are their female corsairs as well?

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Re: Druchii corsairs, are they sexist?

Since the Dark Elf garrison forces allow mixed units I don't see why their navy would be any different.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Elves are egalitarian by and large - the only group you would (probably) not see mixed sexes would be Witch Elves and the Convents, but there are always exceptions.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vorthain View Post
    Elves are egalitarian by and large
    High Elves aren't. Their women don't fight in their armies (except when they're mages, or in rare cases Maiden Guard).
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    High Elves aren't. Their women don't fight in their armies (except when they're mages, or in rare cases Maiden Guard).
    There's a female Swordmaster in Defenders of Ulthuan...

Quote Originally Posted by Tregar View Post
    There's a female Swordmaster in Defenders of Ulthuan...
    Becoming a swordsmaster is however a choice unlike being drafted into the citizen levy so although it would be rare female swordsmasters should turn up occasionally.
    There aint nowt a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer can´t achive.-Old Redmane

Visit my dwarfs at http://kazad-grund.webs.com/

I think that corsairs are the least sexist. From what I remember from the Malus Darkblade series, becoming a corsair was one of the only ways outside of being highborn, witch or becoming a sorceress that a female could attain any kind of true wealth and power.

Yes there are definitely female corsairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeparty View Post
    I think that corsairs are the least sexist. From what I remember from the Malus Darkblade series, becoming a corsair was one of the only ways outside of being highborn, witch or becoming a sorceress that a female could attain any kind of true wealth and power.
    In fact, Malus was haunted for a while by the ghost of a female corsair who ended up dying for him (not her choice).
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifeparty View Post
    Yes there are definitely female corsairs.
    I agree w/Knifeparty. And there isn't really a better series of GW books to use as a reference for DE society IMO.
    Within the social bonds of DE culture, there are certain stations reserved for those of only one sex (witches, black guard, sorceresses, etc). Of those not restricted, the only applicable rule seems to be "the most ruthless survives, regardless of gender".

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ork_Mcgee View Post
    I agree w/Knifeparty. And there isn't really a better series of GW books to use as a reference for DE society IMO.
    I beg to differ, the Malus series are probably the absolute worse reference you could imagine for an actual understanding of druchii society. I got way too many Drow vibes, the manner in which their society is portrayed makes seem completely unsustainable at even the basest level.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-u-n-l-i-n-e-t-a-s-t-ic, stupid word filter
    And things that require tactics are BAD. The less tactics involved, the better, and it means less things can go wrong.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Drasanil View Post
    I beg to differ, the Malus series are probably the absolute worse reference you could imagine for an actual understanding of druchii society. I got way too many Drow vibes, the manner in which their society is portrayed makes seem completely unsustainable at even the basest level.
    On this point, I'd have to agree for the most part - I felt that parts of the first and second books weren't bad for illustrating elements of DE "culture", however unintentional on the authors' part. It was, overall, a somewhat disappointing read. But, given the similarities between Drow and DE, it must be difficult for an author to not drop Drow vibes when writing about DE.

@ OP:
    I'd agree with everyone else that female corsairs are a fact of life in DE society. Even the bad luck thing is a human problem that I don't see being reflected in their society. Given the gender mix in DE armies generally, I think a proportionate number of female corsairs would be reasonable. Even if they bunked with the males, these are DE not humans. The males would stand to lose a lot more than their, uh, blueballs if they tried anything. Unless of course, your corsairs are Slaaneshi.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drasanil View Post
    I dunno... his comment *could* be accurate. After all, how many OTHER sources from BL are there to help flesh out Druuchi society? It's not that the Malus books are necessarily a good reference (they're not). It's just that there aren't any other novels to work with.

So the worst is also the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainaxe07 View Post
    The only "careers" barred to girlies are assassins and executioners, not even sure about black guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ork_Mcgee View Post
    Within the social bonds of DE culture, there are certain stations reserved for those of only one sex (witches, black guard, sorceresses, etc).
    IS Black Guard stated as being gender-restricted, or is this just about the models? Do you have a literature reference?
    Orphaned grandspawn of the 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleofLund View Post
    IS Black Guard stated as being gender-restricted, or is this just about the models? Do you have a literature reference?
    I could see female corsairs because they're more about speed and shanking people on boats. I can also see them fleshing out citizen militias because of the relatively low Druchii population. When you need a big person to swing a halberd around, however, women probably wouldn't be the best choice, and the Black Guard don't need numbers.
    For random (yet stimulating) fantasy-related posts on my blog, please visit: http://the-silver-flame.blogspot.com/

i forgot her name from the series but like knifeparty said there are female corsairs. but i remember her saying something about its hard to be taken serious as a female but i think that applies to almost everything else but for a female its the best you can do unless you are a highborn
    "In the darkness, all men are equal, save those that embrace it"
    Captain Shrike - 3rd Company -Raven Guard
    "Skaven society is a tyranny moderated by assassination."
    Bagrian -Scholar

While a mixed corsair unit is fine, I always envisioned female corsairs as forming their own crews, rather than sharing quarters with the men. But of course there is nothing wrong with a mixed unit, if you imagine that each one has their own quarters or the ship has a section exclusive for them.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalSphere View Post
    While a mixed corsair unit is fine, I always envisioned female corsairs as forming their own crews, rather than sharing quarters with the men. But of course there is nothing wrong with a mixed unit, if you imagine that each one has their own quarters or the ship has a section exclusive for them.
    Consider the following: They are Dark Elves.
    Last edited by Torpedo Vegas; 15-12-2010 at 18:40.
    I roll Boxcars 40k and Fantasy blog ( and sometimes Warmachine) Hobby articles, battle reports and more!

Enter the Dark City, the only Dark Eldar exclusive forum!

Chapter Master

Women are bad luck on sailing ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Dash View Post
    Women are bad luck on sailing ships.
    Corsairs of any gender are bad luck for sailing ships.
    There aint nowt a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer can´t achive.-Old Redmane

Visit my dwarfs at http://kazad-grund.webs.com/

Commander

Interesting question.
    Well, i dont know. This most evil of race is, probably, the less sexist in the warhammer world. Around 25% of foot troops are females, plus you get all female bitch elves and sorceresses (except the odd rogue sorcerer). I'd say that female corsairs are possible, though possibly rarer (because of seafaring habits? Who knows), but definitely possible. The only "careers" barred to girlies are assassins and executioners, not even sure about black guard.

Put it down to lazy sculpters. All DE units should have a proportion of female models (except for WE, who should be all female, of course).
    Druchii.net for all your Dark Elf needs

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw

∞+1 (just because I can).
    Curses! You found me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast