Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Druchii corsairs, are they sexist?

Re: Druchii corsairs, are they sexist?

Plus, tradition. Isn't the black guard basically the grimdark dark elf-version of the phoenix guard that Malekith set up because he couldn't get the original?

Quote Originally Posted by Korraz View Post
    Plus, tradition. Isn't the black guard basically the grimdark dark elf-version of the phoenix guard that Malekith set up because he couldn't get the original?
    They're children taken and raised to be loyal because Mally doesn't want a biting blade in the back from using some normal untrustworthy Elves as his bodyguard.

No real connection to the PG other than the superficial 'halberd elite' look of them. If he'd wanted a dark parody of the PG, he would have used halberd swinging Khainite temple guards.
    Druchii.net for all your Dark Elf needs

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw

∞+1 (just because I can).
    Curses! You found me!

I don't know. As an outsider, I think it would fit Ol' Malice to kill two great eagles with one stone. Getting a loyal guard and a dark version of the PG, cementing his claim further.

Quote Originally Posted by Korraz View Post
    I don't know. As an outsider, I think it would fit Ol' Malice to kill two great eagles with one stone. Getting a loyal guard and a dark version of the PG, cementing his claim further.
    You got the roles reversed, they are only similar in the aesthethic sense (both are elves, borth are armed with halberds, both are called "guard") but their roles are very different. If anything the black guards have the same role as the white lions have in the high elf army, that is, protecting the person of the king.

The phoenix guards have instead a more ceremonial role, they are similar to a knight order of clustered monks, the closest analogue in the dark elf army would be the witch elves, because even if they don´t fit the "monk" part, they are organised in covens and also have a ceremonial role.

I know that, I know. But since there are no WLs in the dark side and there are some very striking similarities...I'm just theorizing.

But enough talk about that. This is about corsairs.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drasanil View Post
    I beg to differ, the Malus series are probably the absolute worse reference you could imagine for an actual understanding of druchii society. I got way too many Drow vibes, the manner in which their society is portrayed makes seem completely unsustainable at even the basest level.
    I dunno... his comment *could* be accurate. After all, how many OTHER sources from BL are there to help flesh out Druuchi society? It's not that the Malus books are necessarily a good reference (they're not). It's just that there aren't any other novels to work with.

So the worst is also the best.

from what i hear from malus, i'll never consider it as canon. why? moustaches, man. that's all the reason i need

i'm pretty sure there would be female corsairs, why not, but the new models kind of suck compared to the older ones anyway. and i think it's pretty ironic that one of the more noble races segregates its soldiers while it's obviously evil counterpart doesn't.
    “Do I preach to you while you're lying stoned in the gutter? No."-Bender

"What kind of arrogant, self-centered jerk quotes himself?" -Proctorkorps

Please do not ride the Triceratops.

Quote Originally Posted by Proctorkorps View Post
    and i think it's pretty ironic that one of the more noble races segregates its soldiers while it's obviously evil counterpart doesn't.
    What does sexism have to do with evil or nobility? The Druchii press their females into service because they need more warm bodies cranking crossbows and hurling dark magic. The Asur, on the other hand, probably take a protective attitude toward their females.
    For random (yet stimulating) fantasy-related posts on my blog, please visit: http://the-silver-flame.blogspot.com/

That is true, Gimilzor, i figured the DE females chose to serve, while the HE blocked the females that wanted to
    now that i think it through, that's obviously not the case
    “Do I preach to you while you're lying stoned in the gutter? No."-Bender

"What kind of arrogant, self-centered jerk quotes himself?" -Proctorkorps

Please do not ride the Triceratops.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar-Gimilzor View Post
    What does sexism have to do with evil or nobility? The Druchii press their females into service because they need more warm bodies cranking crossbows and hurling dark magic. The Asur, on the other hand, probably take a protective attitude toward their females.
    But once they are there, there are no constraints on how high a woman can rise in the service of Malekith. Yopu can't say the same about the Asur.

Oh, and their troops being citizen-levy tends to point towards HE pressing troops into service too.
    Druchii.net for all your Dark Elf needs

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw

∞+1 (just because I can).
    Curses! You found me!

Quote Originally Posted by sulla View Post
    But once they are there, there are no constraints on how high a woman can rise in the service of Malekith. Yopu can't say the same about the Asur.

Oh, and their troops being citizen-levy tends to point towards HE pressing troops into service too.
    There most certainly are limits--it's still a male-dominated, violent society when all is said and done. Women can rise in the temple of Khaine and the convents, but that's about it.
    For random (yet stimulating) fantasy-related posts on my blog, please visit: http://the-silver-flame.blogspot.com/

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

That's still about 50% of the powerbases in the kingdom.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Quote Originally Posted by Ar-Gimilzor View Post
    There most certainly are limits--it's still a male-dominated, violent society when all is said and done. Women can rise in the temple of Khaine and the convents, but that's about it.
    Women can most certainly rise to high positions in the military as well. They might have a harder time than their male counterparts due to physical differences (though we don't know how big the difference is amongst elves) but there is nothing preventing a strong and skilled woman from becoming a dreadlord.
    There aint nowt a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer can´t achive.-Old Redmane

Visit my dwarfs at http://kazad-grund.webs.com/

In addition isnt one of the most powerful noble family in the kingdom ( Hellgalves or something like that from the new DE booK) ruled by a Female ?

If i remember it correctly then we know they can also rise to the highest positions of the nobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Leogun_91 View Post
    Women can most certainly rise to high positions in the military as well. They might have a harder time than their male counterparts due to physical differences (though we don't know how big the difference is amongst elves) but there is nothing preventing a strong and skilled woman from becoming a dreadlord.
    Actually I'd forgotten about the female dreadlord model, so you may be right.
    Last edited by Ar-Gimilzor; 15-01-2011 at 15:04.

Chapter Master Palatine Katinka's Avatar

I'm pretty sure there is little to no difference in physical build between male and female elves so there would be no reason for the women not to be as successful warriors as the men. However, some of them may prefer to pursue their desire for power through political rather than military paths.

As an aside, I don't see the Dark Elf women as being pressed into service. Not in physically forced manner anyway. I find it more likely that they enlist because they know how much their society needs garrisons in the north and because of their deep seated hatred of the elves still on Ulthuan. Also, there may be the lure of looting and pillaging but that desire would be more likely to lead to becoming a Corsair.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    In addition isnt one of the most powerful noble family in the kingdom ( Hellgalves or something like that from the new DE booK) ruled by a Female ?

If i remember it correctly then we know they can also rise to the highest positions of the nobility.
    That's the Helbanes. Anethra (the matriarch of the family) rules Clar Karond IIRC, and uses the "renegade" Khelthrai to instill fear in dissenters. In the most recent Druchii book somewhere, I think near the Cold One section?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo-Jo View Post
    You, good sir, win.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandQueen, on my immense lack of sleep View Post
    I will construct a vast stick that goes beyond the curve of the horizon and prod you whilst you nap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakkagor View Post
    yes, please. Something about your whole conversation is scaring the *&%$ out of me.

Chapter Master Palatine Katinka's Avatar

Kelthrai is on the Executioners page. He was inducted as an Executioner by Anethra's granddaughter, Ylandria, at Anethra's behest. Anethra herself is on p.6. She has been around since before the Sundering. At that time she was already in charge of a fortress (which became a Black Ark) after the death of her husband and the framing of her brother-in-law. She now resides in Clar Karond with her only son while her Black Ark (Temple of Spite) is now commanded by Duriath Helbane (p.16).

Quote Originally Posted by Palatine Katinka View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is little to no difference in physical build between male and female elves so there would be no reason for the women not to be as successful warriors as the men.
    Elves are much like humans in this regard, so I'd disagree completely. The males are generally stronger.

As an aside, I don't see the Dark Elf women as being pressed into service. Not in physically forced manner anyway. I find it more likely that they enlist because they know how much their society needs garrisons in the north and because of their deep seated hatred of the elves still on Ulthuan. Also, there may be the lure of looting and pillaging but that desire would be more likely to lead to becoming a Corsair.
    Citizen militias use conscripts iirc. Furthermore, Druchii are incredibly selfish--duty and honour don't mean much to them, while personal enrichment does. They become corsairs for the money, or they join the military because the other option is death.

Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    That's the Helbanes. Anethra (the matriarch of the family) rules Clar Karond IIRC, and uses the "renegade" Khelthrai to instill fear in dissenters. In the most recent Druchii book somewhere, I think near the Cold One section?
    Thank you, i thought as much i simply dont have the book with me at uni to check.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2