Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why do goblins go to war?

Why do goblins go to war?

If goblins are so affraid of pretty much everything why do they go to war?

I can understand fighting for land and to deal with a threat but alot of the time they have enough space but keep fighting. I guess common goblins would go to war if the orcs told them to, but what about night goblin tribes. They don't have any orcs in charge, they have lots of room and there arent any real threats to them.

Re: Why do goblins go to war?

They are malicious little ********. Think schoolyard bully, only these ones don't do it because they're bigger than their targets but because there are more of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTwentythree View Post
    I just wish skaven had something "heavy hitter"-ish.

1000 year-old lords of the walking dead? Chosen avatars of the dark gods leading horrible creatures from another dimension? Ancient members of the civilization who created the very world upon which we wage our wars? Bah! We're skittish mutant rats. We've got a bell. And we're going to ring it till your ears hurt bleed. Bitches.

They are basically just smaller, more devious Orcs. They enjoy a good Waaaaaaaaaagh as much as the next Greenskin, it's just a slightly higher pitch.

They are malicious, they enjoy hurting people. They are also very stupid, they don't really understand everything about it until it begins.
    There aint nowt a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer can´t achive.-Old Redmane

Visit my dwarfs at http://kazad-grund.webs.com/

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    They are malicious little ********. Think schoolyard bully, only these ones don't do it because they're bigger than their targets but because there are more of them.
    Id say that they more closly resemble the scrawny borderline psychopath kid that hangs out with the bully and cheers him on when he's beating people up, however unless he's got an advantage he's a real coward

It is a general misconception that goblins don´t like to fight, they do as much as orcs, the only difference is how. While the orcs go head on to fight, the goblins prefer to fight in such a way that they have all the advantage possible and the enemy is at the most disadvantage. This could mean striking from behind or from some hidden spot (like an ambush), or attacking the enemy while he is unprepared, or set up a trap by putting some captives and then making his friends expose themselves... typical villain behaviour you know. You can´t assume that just because they are small it means that they are weak and helpless, greenskins are not made of the same stuff than humans, a goblin can have the same physical strength than a human or even more if he is big enough. Also i don´t think goblins are as stupid as some people claim, they are definitely smarter than snotlings, orcs, trolls and giants, which is not saying much i know. They are not intelligent in the human sense (like good at maths or reasoning) but if they tend to be very cunning and also paranoid, as their own lifestyle demands it, those who are not so will end up in the pot or under the feet of some orc.
    Last edited by CrystalSphere; 17-12-2010 at 18:07.

Oh I know Goblins aren't stupid, they aren't intelligent but they are cunning. However goblins are very weak. I didn't know they like to fight as much as orcs, that explains a lot.

Banned

They do! It's good fun for them. Backstabbin', Ambushin' and generally bein' mean are things they enjoy.

Very good question though. Food for thought.

Theo

I wouldnt say goblins are really weak, they only seem weak in comparison to their larger cousins. They are probably around the same strength as your average man.

Chaplain

Stuff/Loot! Sure, those little runts like to stab folk in the back, but they love their shiny loot. I think it's in one of the older army books (maybe?) but I seem to recall that goblins love to collect valuables and show them off to their dirty rascally buddies. This, IMO, is the real reason they go to war.

Chapter Master

It's not like goblins go of to find the biggest, best scrap they can find like orcs. They're far more likely to find isolated villages and farmsteads to raid in the night. Eat the cattle, have some nasty fun with the inhabitants. Loot anything worth taking, burn what's left, be gone before resistance arrives.

Part of their vicious cowardice is also that they don't care what happens to their fellow goblins. A hundred goblins facing a vicious fight they can win are probably in a pretty decent mood. Who cares if the gobs in front of you are going to get a face full of pitchfork. While Bob has his pitchfork stuck in Nazgub, you get a chance to gut him and take his shinies. Everybody wins! Well maybe not everybody, but you do and that's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalSphere View Post
    Also i don´t think goblins are as stupid as some people claim, they are definitely smarter than snotlings, orcs, trolls and giants, which is not saying much i know.
    I beg to differ, Giants can be smart it's just that most destroy themselves with alcoholism or going into the wastes, a giant can however be negotiated with and hired and that's even the dumb ones. Orcs are not less smart then goblins, they have less need to use it, when needed orcs can make plans just as goblins but in a fight they think they'll win they'll probably just charge, and blackorcs are said to be the most intelligent greenskins able to come up with fairly advanced tactics. Trolls and snotlings are very stupid so I won't argue with that.

Both orcs and goblins have a mean cunning they use when they need to do so, both orcs and goblins chose not to use it most of the time.
    There aint nowt a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer can´t achive.-Old Redmane

Visit my dwarfs at http://kazad-grund.webs.com/

I think you can get cunning orcs but it's just not a trait that has developed in most orcs. The day to day life of an Orcs consists of just beating up things smaller than you and trying to get good enough to beat things bigger than you. In most cases an Orc will be happier and more successful if it just learns to fight better.

This isn't the case for goblins. Even if they become a good fighter (for a goblin) they will still get trodden on and abused by something bigger, trying to fight it by yourself would just get you eaten. It's a lot easier to trick it, outnumber it, stab it in the back, or a long list of other devious methods. These are a lot less damgerous and goblins have a much stronger self preservation than Orcs.

In the end I think the difference is orcs like fighting then looting what they have killed, goblins like stabbing something in the back while it's looking elsewhere then stealing it's stuff before another goblin notices.

Chapter Master

there are quite a few fluff stories when Goblin Warlords are fighting against dwarf kings to something of a stalemate. Also, there are many stories when orcs show that they are intelligent sentient being which can think in abstract ways.

the whole "orcs=dumb!" is false. or, maybe not false. But very incorrect. Thay are "limited", not "stupid". A very big difference. We, humans are intelligent. And we are also limited in our ways to think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    You just destroyed my dreams. Are you happy now? :cries:

In the particular case of my own tribe of Night Goblins, they launch a Waaaaagh because they are hopelessly drunk on fungus beer after a juicy trade ...
    My log : Fantasy ** Updated 28/07/2015** Master List updated !
    Lorcryst's Sales Thread ** Updated 19/12/2016 ** Updated

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

While 1 on 1 a goblin might fear pretty damned near everything, 20 to 1 on the other hand, now those goblins aren't afraid of most things anymore.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by kramplarv View Post

the whole "orcs=dumb!" is false. or, maybe not false. But very incorrect. Thay are "limited", not "stupid". A very big difference. We, humans are intelligent. And we are also limited in our ways to think.
    For what it's worth orcs are getting dumber with every iteration. When I started orcs could hold a full conversation. These days they have trouble grunting out their expressions of aggression.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leogun_91 View Post
    I beg to differ, Giants can be smart it's just that most destroy themselves with alcoholism or going into the wastes, a giant can however be negotiated with and hired and that's even the dumb ones. Orcs are not less smart then goblins, they have less need to use it, when needed orcs can make plans just as goblins but in a fight they think they'll win they'll probably just charge, and blackorcs are said to be the most intelligent greenskins able to come up with fairly advanced tactics. Trolls and snotlings are very stupid so I won't argue with that.

Both orcs and goblins have a mean cunning they use when they need to do so, both orcs and goblins chose not to use it most of the time.
    Orcs are routinely outsmarted by Goblins. It's the way the little greenskins get by. Goblin tribes love bartering with Orcs tribes because the Goblins always come out on top.
    Black Orcs are known to most greenskins as the most dense of their species. Psychotic and cunning yes, but not smart. I've yet so read any background to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by kramplarv View Post
    there are quite a few fluff stories when Goblin Warlords are fighting against dwarf kings to something of a stalemate.
    Was it one on one combat? I dont' recall every reading any stories like that. There was a story in the 6th edition armybook where a Goblin hero goes toe-to-toe with a powerful Elven fighter and wins because of his magical ring, but besides that I can't recall any "heroic" Goblin fights.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Brother Sergeant von Haütenmeister's Avatar

No Goblin lives to become a Warlord by fighting "one on one".

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Which was indeed my point
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast