Thread: Lizardmen Daily Life

Lizardmen Daily Life

I'm a complete newb at Lizardmen background, I never payed them much heed untill recently I started collecting them.

I have skimmed past the fluff of the army book, I read about the battles and the appearance and the Temple cities and all that but I have yet to get a grasp on what they do while they are not fighting off stuff from their lands.

Skinks and Saurus and Slann speak some for of language, right?

Do they have some form os civilization going on or do they spawn forth, kill whoever needs to be killed and crawl back to a hole or something like that?

Commander

Re: Lizardmen Daily Life

Well they must have some sort of dwellings in thier massive cities, otherwsie they wouldnt be that big if they were only filled with temples/stables and other essentials.

Skinks busy themselves with translating the slanns words to figure out what to do next. And the saurus must train to make themselves better fighters. Construction must be a common occurance, as thats what the kroxigor are for, while the skinks instruct them where stuff goes. Animals need training too, like the cold ones, carnosaurs, stegadons, terradons etc, so skinks need to do that too.

I am guessing that theres always jobs to do in big cities, no matter what your species.
    My Slann has killed in combat:
    1 Vampire lord on steed
    1 Vampire Lord on foot

Skinks seem to have a relatively normal life, for a cold-blood; living in barrios, hunting, gathering food, making weapons and jewellery, carving idols, tending to the spawning pools, repairing the cities, attending to the Slaan's every whim. They probably have things like friends, marketplaces, and fermented-sap-beer to drink at the gecko-pit-fights. They certainly have things like religion.

Saurus are a different matter; we're led to believe that they are only semi-sentient, and utterly useless outside of combat. I imagine peacetime Saurus are entirely devoted to training, standing guard, eating and sleeping. It's hard to imagine them sitting down of an evening with a stone tablet to go through the day's headlines.

Kroxigor probably fall between the two, given that they aren't limited to combat but are very stupid; work will involve helping Skink work gangs with the construction and repair of buildings and plazas, clearing the ever-encroaching vegetation from paths and sacred sites, all the heavy stuff that a Saurus is too important (or too small) to do. I could see their downtime consisting of sleeping and eating, and perhaps clapping their hands when the rest of the audience do at the gecko-pit just so they can feel like regular people. Think of what a slightly-intelligent beast of burden might do. A Skink with a particularly unpopular job - a Priest chosen to shut down that gecko-pit - would probably take up some of that time by convincing/bribing the Kroxigor to follow him and mash anyone who pulls a shiv. It's a Skink-eat-Skink barrio out there, sometimes literally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    You never go full Corax.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
    Skinks and Saurus and Slann speak some for of language, right?
    The Lizardmen speak Saurian, There's a little bit of information on page 38 of the army book. Basically, the Skinks have a wide range of vocabulary which can change meanings based on crest colour, etc, , and the Kroxigor are limited to grunts and a few words, though they understand orders fairly well. The Saurus' dialect would have a large variety of words revolving around warfare, but very few else. There's a guide to pronunciation in the 6th edition book I can post if you're interested, as well.

Other than that, I'd say that Spetswalshe (really odd name, by the way) pretty much nailed it (though I don't really see Skinks attacking a Priest).
    Quote Originally Posted by spetswalshe View Post
    R-Love got it right (while unconsciously betraying his obvious desire for a harem of Beastman sex-slaves in the process)

I've read through the Temple Guard fluff and they seem to be half-sentient aswell. They seem to serve guarding purposes only, the older the spawning, the holier the place they guard, beeing the more important Temple Guard the ones that guard the Slann himself (even more important than the ones guarding the relic priests?!)

In Mazdamundi's entrance it mentions he's in a state of slumber, meditating on the infinities of the Cosmos or something similarly Carl Sagan-ish, he "woke" up to beat some Spanish guy's encampment and went back to his meditations.

Could it be that some of them (saurus, etc) lie in a dormant state until there's some more beating to do?

Entering a Temple city, would one be confronted right away or are the Lizardmen residents elusive kinda like the Tomb Kings? What I mean is, are temple cities really populated or are they some kind of ancient hideout, their denizens dwelling in deep tunnels or recesses of the old building ruins?

Entering a Temple city, would one be confronted right away or are the Lizardmen residents elusive kinda like the Tomb Kings? What I mean is, are temple cities really populated or are they some kind of ancient hideout, their denizens dwelling in deep tunnels or recesses of the old building ruins?
    The temple cities are populated, at least those that are not in ruins (there are more temple cities in ruinous state that there are preserved and functioning with slaan and all that).

Now, in ruined temple cities, what you may found are groups of lizardmen that are patrolling the area, because if they cannot claim the city as their own (even if they wanted, they may not have the manpower or capacity at that moment to rebuild it) they may be protecting the sacred artefacts that may still lay inside.

Or, they are just guarding it, while some skink priest is trying to get around the wards to pick the artefacts and send them somewhere safe.

Could it be that some of them (saurus, etc) lie in a dormant state until there's some more beating to do?

Seems fair that they'd be mostly dormant. 'Active' Saurus would likely be quite a strain on resources in terms of food, and frankly most of the time there just wouldn't be enough to do. I figure it would be either this or just having very few actual Saurus, with 'reinforcements' spawning a short time before they become needed. They don't exactly need training up, after all.

I imagine the confrontation aspect would depend on the city. Some would have you met by Saurus at the gate - or before - while others (one with no or few Saurus or a remit not to engage unless necessary) might have the Skinks hide away when strangers are near to give the 'abandoned city' vibe, surprise-attacking (by pouring from assumed-empty passageways like in an Indiana Jones film) if the interlopers desecrate something sufficiently sacred or try to steal something sufficiently shiny. It's for the Lizardmen's benefit if adventurers return with stories of how there was absolutely nothing worth looting, especially because there was no one left guarding it.

One thing I would certainly expect, is that interlopers have no chance of getting near a city or settlement without their presence being advertised long in advance. In Athel-Loren you're always being watched; in Lustria you're always being watched and you also have to deal with spiders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    You never go full Corax.

Veteran Sergeant

Well, the saurus, and especially the temple gaurds, do a lot of "non-sleeping" by just standing and guard things. I remember somewhere i read that som e temple guards had guarded some other thing for so long time, that the skinks didn't know if they were statues, as th temple guards don't move a muscle.

Also, I don't think suarus train that much. Saurus are born for war, and the older they get the stronger they get, it's in their nature. Just as no saurus has ever died due to being too old.

Chapter Master

I have never gotten the impression that Saurus are semi-intelligent. Even kroxes seem to have the intelligence of roughly an ogre. I think the distinction is Sauruses really dont do anything except military stuff. They eat breath and sleep military, think an entire army of Gunnies( the drill sergeant guy on TV) 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Their discussions and daily life most likely consist of military theory, which method of sharpening their blades work best, the best way to form a shield wall, and non-stop training with siesta time to pull off their armor and soak up some UV rays. Do remember they do get older and take leadership positions which involves coherant thought and thought processes to make commands and adapt to ever changing battlefield conditions.

Temple guard are likely very much like the Queens guard in London. They stand there and guard, probably have longer shifts, much longer shifts.

Ever see a lizard in the wild (or zoo)?

Basically just lays around right?

Well slap on a shield and an obsidian blade and there you have a saurus warrior
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum