Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sudenland? That's Preposterous!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chapter Master

Sudenland? That's Preposterous!!

Hello again, my fellow empire players. I am making a campaign for Fantasy. The place has changed, though as alot of my friends dropped out of the game altogether (quiters!) and it is down to me, my friend Doug, and my little brother. I will be playing Empire, considering that anything Zombie-related in warhammer is now Nerfed. Its not that I don't like Empire, I just like Zombies alot more.

Either way, my friend Doug is playing skaven, and we have been thinking up ways to play a campaign on a smaller scale. The inspiration finally came to me when Doug showed me a page in his Skaven army book where there was an empire town with a huge network of Skaven mines and cities right beneath it. We decided it would be a cool way to A) motivate us to collect at least one full army and B) create some characterful backround for our armies.

I left Doug with the task of naming his skaven leader, while I picked a city from somewhere in the Empire to field my army from. I was looking at the different provinces and what information I could find on their time in the Skaven Wars, when I found this little nugget on Lexicanum:

[link]http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Empire_(outdated)[/link]

If you look at the list of Provinces, there is a "Grand Barony of Sudenland" whose capital is the town of pfieldorf. I looked at my copy of Uniforms and Heraldry of the Empire, and found that same city in the province of Wissenland.

So, I am basically wondering what happened to Sudenland? Is it just an outdated piece of information, or was Sudenland overrun, or did GW just change its name to Wissenland?

Thanks for any help in advance,
    Alexos

Re: Sudenland? That's Preposterous!!

Sudenland (or Solland) was overrun by an Orc Waaagh! (by Gorbad Ironclaw, I think), its elector count killed, its population decimated, its crops burned, etc. Sometime later, the remnants of Sudenland were incorporated into the neighbouring electorate of Wissenland, as it had no longer a ruling family or any population left to speak of. By now, I think Sudenland's Runefang has been rediscovered (by Gotrek and Felix?) and is now used by Kurt Helborg, Captain of the Reiksguard. I'm not sure if it's canon, but I've seen several armies on Warseer that had "Sudenland Liberation Army" as their background...
    When in deadly danger
    When beset by doubt
    Run in little circles
    Wave your arms and shout

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
    I think Sudenland's Runefang has been rediscovered (by Gotrek and Felix?) and is now used by Kurt Helborg, Captain of the Reiksguard.
    It'll be interesting to see if its still an option in the new Orc and Goblin Army Book in March.

Chapter Master

Oh. Sudenland is Solland.... Well, I already knew about solland....

Crap.

What I got from my Empire army book is that Sudenland is what former Solland nobles are calling the part of Wissenland they live in.
    O&G: 5000 points
    Dark Eldar:2500 points [Fluff]
    World Eaters: 2000 points [Fluff]
    Imperial Fists: 2500 points

If you don't like the idea of Imperials and Eldar summoning daemons... don't have your Imperials and Eldar use Malefic Daemonology.

Some Averland nobles also use the old symbols of Solland as their own heraldry, I think.
    I roll Boxcars 40k and Fantasy blog ( and sometimes Warmachine) Hobby articles, battle reports and more!

Enter the Dark City, the only Dark Eldar exclusive forum!

Yes, the problem with having characters from different ages of Warhammer means that the Solland Rnuefang is both in Kurt Helborg's hand and nailed to Gorbad's shield...
    I'm just surprised i remembered my old log in details.

Doesn't Helborg use the Drakwald Runefang (the 'spare' that's kept in the armoury in Altdorf?) Needless to say, there always seems to be at least one floating around

Quote Originally Posted by The Obdurate Bureaucrat View Post
    Doesn't Helborg use the Drakwald Runefang (the 'spare' that's kept in the armoury in Altdorf?) Needless to say, there always seems to be at least one floating around

No, he uses the Solland runefang after it was recovered, the Drakwald runefang is kept floating around for very important generals to use.
    I roll Boxcars 40k and Fantasy blog ( and sometimes Warmachine) Hobby articles, battle reports and more!

Enter the Dark City, the only Dark Eldar exclusive forum!

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi152 View Post
    Yes, the problem with having characters from different ages of Warhammer means that the Solland Rnuefang is both in Kurt Helborg's hand and nailed to Gorbad's shield...
    True, but in my opinion it is a problem worth dealing with to give warhammer a fuller timescape (is that a word?).
    Sent from my Astropath using Tele Talk

WHFB & 40k FAQ & Errata edit: oh, and Hobbit

Other weird little Empire provinces that time forgot:

Wester Mark - next to Westerland (currently Marienburg), a stretch of land on the Bretonnian side of the Grey Mountains, Imperial territory from IC500 until (sometime around IC900 when Giles le Breton reunited Bretonnia?).

Lichtenburg - Imperial province established in the Border Princes as a buffer state on the other side of the Black Fire Pass. Imperial territory from IC500 until....?

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK ( Land of sheep and cheap ale )

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingkingq View Post
    Other weird little Empire provinces that time forgot:

Wester Mark - next to Westerland (currently Marienburg), a stretch of land on the Bretonnian side of the Grey Mountains, Imperial territory from IC500 until (sometime around IC900 when Giles le Breton reunited Bretonnia?).

Lichtenburg - Imperial province established in the Border Princes as a buffer state on the other side of the Black Fire Pass. Imperial territory from IC500 until....?
    Wasn't Lichtenburg just a border prince territory with close ties and trade links with the Empire.

I believe it may of been mentioned in the blackhearts omnibus.
    I sold my soul for plastic playthings and six sided sirens.

Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    Wasn't Lichtenburg just a border prince territory with close ties and trade links with the Empire.

I believe it may of been mentioned in the blackhearts omnibus.
    It is now, but Sigmar's Heirs has it as a former Imperial province that presumably was later abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi152 View Post
    Not to mention it's an item readily available in the magic weapon list in the OnG armybook.

@Urgat - yup, that's what I was referring to. It's one of my favourites at the moment.

Dunno, runefangs are only cool for empire special characters imho, coz they get to ignore the 100pts limts. On the other hand, with orcs, you've got a green hulk (mmh, yeah...) running around wearing just underwear and a toothpick
    "My warlord looks silly, what about yours?"
    Grimgor should have this goal: collect all the runefangs, stick them all on a club, have his favourite giant get said club, and have giant hunt down most formidable foes. I tell you a "swing with a runefang-barbed club" result autokills anything I'm sure
    Ok I'm off to take my pills and get some sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Grimgor should have this goal: collect all the runefangs, stick them all on a club, have his favourite giant get said club, and have giant hunt down most formidable foes. I tell you a "swing with a runefang-barbed club" result autokills anything I'm sure
    Hahahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Dunno, runefangs are only cool for empire special characters imho, coz they get to ignore the 100pts limts..
    Since when do they ignore the 100 pt limit?

Quote Originally Posted by ooglatjama View Post
    Special Characters, ie Karl Franz of Kurt Helburg. It's still a terrible choice for an Empire Generals, for much the same reasons as Urgat pointed out for Warbosses. Though now I have the image of a Warboss and a General dueling in their skivvies.
    Quote Originally Posted by spetswalshe View Post
    R-Love got it right (while unconsciously betraying his obvious desire for a harem of Beastman sex-slaves in the process)

Quote Originally Posted by ooglatjama View Post
    Since they exist?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast