Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bretonnian's and Dragons.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bretonnian's and Dragons.

Hey guys I've not long started Bretonnia and was wondering about their relationship with Dragons. Have they ever trained and used Dragons for war? Or are they typically save the Damsel and slay the evil fire breathing Dragon that lives in a dark cave? I did note in the heraldly about Gilles Le Brenton slew an ancient Dragon called Smearghus.

PS I want a Dragon mount in the next Bretonnia book.

Re: Bretonnian's and Dragons.

I think they focus on the "SLAY THE DRAGON" mentality. Dragons are more of an Elvish thing.
    I roll Boxcars 40k and Fantasy blog ( and sometimes Warmachine) Hobby articles, battle reports and more!

Enter the Dark City, the only Dark Eldar exclusive forum!

That's what I thought. Empire do have access to Dragons so there's hope.

Banned

I don't think there are many dragons around Brettonia, the ones you do see will be from the Mountains between them and the Empire, the Grey Mountains, where pegasus and Dwarves live.

As most dragons are ancient beings that sleep for long periods I doubt there has been many instances where getting one has been available. Let alone a young one, more likely when one wakes up it goes for a snack, the peasents cry out in fear and the knights chase after it for a new gatepost.

Hippogryph eggs are stolen from the highest peaks of the Grey Mountains so I see stealing a Dragon egg from those same mountains would be feasable. Twice the amount of Peasants would have to be sent to fetch them though, since there will be a very angry momma Dragon to contend with.

I've always wondered about this. Part of bretonian fluff is dragon killing and i've wondered how this affects their relationship with highelves. Considering the ancient link between dragons and HEs you would think they would view a race that activly kills dragons up there with chaos and DEs in evilness.
    Maybe its not so much high elf dragons they kill (i would like to see a knight take on a star dragon which fluff wise are a match for even the greater deamons) but a different kind? I know the oldest chaos dragon destroyed a bret town as it had the heads of 2 of her children haniging from its walls...

Hey Bret's can take Greater Daemons too. I point you to:
    http://www.extremewargaming.co.za/ca...ages/WD372.jpg

Bretonnians do supposedly worship the Wood Elf (Queen?) as to their relationship with High elves I'd assume it would be fairly similar to that of the Empire's and the High Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Crusher View Post
    Hey Bret's can take Greater Daemons too. I point you to:
    http://www.extremewargaming.co.za/ca...ages/WD372.jpg
    Picture taken just before he gets brained by deamon. If Aenarion with the Sword of Khaine and the greatest dragon ever to have lived only just managed to kill 4 deamons i refuse to believe some bretonian lord could survive one.

Quote Originally Posted by trotsky View Post
    Maybe its not so much high elf dragons they kill... but a different kind? I know the oldest chaos dragon destroyed a bret town as it had the heads of 2 of her children haniging from its walls...
    This. Hard to imagine how an Ulthuan dragon that only wakes up for a little while so an elf can ride it into battle, would somehow get misplaced. I say they fight more Chaos dragons than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by trotsky View Post
    i refuse to believe some bretonian lord could survive one.
    And you were doing so well.

Im sorry if that is a stupid question, but do the Warhammer Dragons still lay eggs?
    The ones on Ulthuan maybe, as they are the most frequently "active" and can be called by the High elves.
    But the others? As Sorrow Seer said, most dragons sleep for decades or centuries, I can hardly imagine that there are many (if any) younger dragons flying around and scaring the rabble. Is this covered somewhere in the fluff?
    Look upon us and Despair, for we are the End, the Decay of all things, the horror of rot and the blessing of plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    There's your problem. One person's 'sensible and popular' is another person's Codex: Grey Knights.

Actually that rings a bell. I need to go read up on Dragons in Warhammer. I'll post my findings tomorrow probably as it's 2:45am for me.

Brets relationship to dragons is the same as dwarfs's. During 5th ed, iirc, they were one of the only armybook not allowed dragons (along with dwarfs, lizardmen and skavens if I'm not mistaken).
    All the dragons in Bretonnia seem to be the evil kind that hoard treasures and kidnap princesses

High Elves shouldn't care, they got links with Ulthuan dragons, not with dragons from all over the world, right?

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Brets relationship to dragons is the same as dwarfs's. During 5th ed, iirc, they were one of the only armybook not allowed dragons (along with dwarfs, lizardmen and skavens if I'm not mistaken).
    All the dragons in Bretonnia seem to be the evil kind that hoard treasures and kidnap princesses

High Elves shouldn't care, they got links with Ulthuan dragons, not with dragons from all over the world, right?
    Hey I can imagine some Bretonian loon raising a baby dragon, nurturing it, loving it, caring for it.

And then when it's big enough punt it out the house and chase it with a lance.

You are mistaken, 5th edition Bretoninans did have option of riden dragon *pats ten years old conversion*.
    I thought I was elitist. Then my wife said she's willing to enter 40k, but she wants a Squat army .

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Turalyon View Post
    You are mistaken, 5th edition Bretoninans did have option of riden dragon *pats ten years old conversion*.
    Ah well, can't always be right So much for trusting my memory
    Last edited by Urgat; 04-01-2011 at 08:11.

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

Personally, I'd say that it would be extremely uncommon but a Grail Knight with a dragon companion is a pill that I could potentially swallow. The warhammer world is chalk-full of all manner of magical beasts and supernatural beings, and while dragons are incredibly powerful and probably quite rare, I don't think it's so far-fetched that a powerful Grail Knight would become companions with one that I'd rule it out.

During 5th ed, iirc, they were one of the only armybook not allowed dragons (along with dwarfs, lizardmen and skavens if I'm not mistaken).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Turalyon View Post
    Actually 5th ed. Dwarfs could take dragons, too (they're listed with the other monsters in the "Monsters" section, anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Whitwort Stormbringer View Post
    Actually 5th ed. Dwarfs could take dragons, too (they're listed with the other monsters in the "Monsters" section, anyways).
    Damn... I only started playing fantasy in 6th ed... look at all the fun I missed out on
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by Malorian View Post
    Damn... I only started playing fantasy in 6th ed... look at all the fun I missed out on
    You miss the ultimate dragon slayer. Jasperre le Beau. When he charge a dragon his lance grants him strength +4 and inflict D3 wounds. When the number of wounds is clear you add a D6 and if the total 6 or more the lance run through the heart of the dragon killing it

Ok it's from a time where dragons were way more powerful but still fun.
    He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flatfoot, who'll never flinch from a fray

Dragons are never fully tamed, each army that uses them have more of an alliance between mount and rider than a master and mount relation. This makes the Bretonnians who see dragons as monsters and would slay any adult dragon they encounter unlikely to be able to tame them from birth, lifespan is probably an issue too as a knight acquiring a dragon egg will probably be quite likely to die of old age (or in battle) before the dragon is big enough to be ridden in war (Dark Elfs have the lifespans to do it).

I can still imagine knights trying though, they tame Hippogryphs because they are very wild and dangerous and therefore extremely hard to tame (a worthy challenge).
    There aint nowt a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer can´t achive.-Old Redmane

Visit my dwarfs at http://kazad-grund.webs.com/

How long do Grail Knights live? Depending on their lifespan I could see one of those possibly have one, provided he isn't too engrossed in "PROTECT THE LADY!" Maybe they would ask the Lady for one as a Christmas present.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast