Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bretonnian's and Dragons.

Re: Bretonnian's and Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Alathir View Post
    Keep in mind that the Demons that Aenarion contended with were of a higher caliber (If I remember correctly, that is) than the Greater Demons that the Warhammer world would contend with today - as the magic draining effects of the vortex had yet to come into play I believe demons were stronger back in those times.

And I can see a Bretonnian taking out a greater demon, he would have to be a grail knight of the highest skill though and be toting some pretty hefty magic artifacts.
    Yes you are correct good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    I know I keep using that exemple, but Grom owned a HE lord in about two seconds. Nothing says that tromll meat made him stronger either.
    Wait a minute! What is this!?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonet111 View Post
    I don't want a dragon mount. I don't like it for the Bretonnian. For Elves and other races I have no problem with the dragon mounts but for Bretonnians I prefer something like different breeds of Hippogryphs, for instance the city of Bordeleaux could have a "water" Hippogryph.
    Not sure I like the idea of a "water" Hippogryph but I wouldn't want to see a Dragon either because what is the point in taking a Hippogryph? And I don't like the idea of anyone riding "Feral" Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixguard09 View Post
    Not sure I like the idea of a "water" Hippogryph but I wouldn't want to see a Dragon either because what is the point in taking a Hippogryph? And I don't like the idea of anyone riding "Feral" Dragons.
    It's a silly example but I was a little short on good idea. In game it will be useless.
    He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flatfoot, who'll never flinch from a fray

Wait a minute! What is this!?
    You mean Grom owning a HE lord? Gosh, I keep repeating that exemple on every thread I can like a broken record, I'd thought by now everybody would know it and be sick of it .
    It's in the 5th ed HE armybook
    So I read it again, and find out he in facts possibly beats three!:

1) Moranion, father of Eltahrion and lord of Athel Tamarha
    Grom is challenged by him, he blocks the magic sword with his axe and downs Moranion with a fist in the face (as it appears, Grom's fist either gives D3 wounds or has killing blow ). He gets humiliated for a while, then some elves rescue him but they all die while fleeing (Moranion included).

2) Ferghal of the Iron spear, commander of the army of Tor Yvresse (also an arrogant phat who gets totally outwited by Grom):
    This one goes very fast, not even a description of the fight: Grom comes, and "his axe parted Ferghal's head from his shoulders". Follows the massacre of Tor Yvresse army. (p78, btw, if you got the book)

( and then a possible 3) Argalen, son of Moranion (and therefore Eltharion's little bro). Nothing says he's a lord though, hence why the parenthesis). That being said, like any other HE hero, he goes unstoppable until he reaches Grom. Anyway, he's mad because of Grom wearing his father's cloak -red with Moranion's blood- rushes in stupidely, jumps in Grom's charriot (ninja!), gets battered, killed, and used as a projectile, making the elfs rout.)

Voila, Grom OWNS.
    Last edited by Urgat; 07-01-2011 at 12:20.

Wow. I haven't read the 5th ed book in years. Must go find it. Or maybe not. I don't actually want to read it by the sound of it.

I call shenanigans.

Come on, that's when Eltharion gets his "the grim" nickname, you have to If you want to add insult to injury, Blacktooth, Grom's shaman, almost manages what demons and DE always fail to do, disrupting the vortex (though unknowingly )

I knew that and I can almost forgive the dastardly greenskins for it. Almost.

But Grom killing those Elves so easily has got my blood boiling. I think Raethelas is going to go and bash some Gobbos, just cause.

(Just thinking about the carnage a Moon Dragon can cause in a large regiment of Goblins makes me happy. )

But Grom killing those Elves so easily has got my blood boiling.
    What's got my blood boiling is his lame ingame profile to represent that :/

I may be a bit off from the true but aren´t Dragons at least half sentient? They speak and stuff. So having a Dragon as a mount (as was mentioned inthis topic) is kinda like a bond between the Dragon and the one he carries.

With that in mind, Dragons have passed from active to passive background in Bretonnian Lore, acting as beings of mythology and past epochs that are sung across Bretonnian dining tables, etc.

They don't have access to many living Dragons also, so far as I know, being Karl Franz's the only one near. And assuming the Dragons of Loren don't really leave the forest.

@ Urgat: That's part of my gripe too. The other is the sheer implausibility () of a Goblin (a Goblin!!!) killing all those Elves.

I'm a bit of an arrogant sod.

@ Grunge: Yes which is why a Bretonnian Dragon wouldn't fit, aside from what has already been said. Why would a Dragon from a species that has been around since the beginning of the world bond itself to well, a human? At least Elves are quasi-immortal.

@ Urgat: That's part of my gripe too. The other is the sheer implausibility () of a Goblin (a Goblin!!!) killing all those Elves.
    Implausible? You're talking about elves. A stiff breeze is enough to kill one . A clever, obese goblin with a big axe is significantly more dangerous than a stiff breeze.
    O&G: 5000 points
    Dark Eldar:2500 points [Fluff]
    World Eaters: 2000 points [Fluff]
    Imperial Fists: 2500 points

If you don't like the idea of Imperials and Eldar summoning daemons... don't have your Imperials and Eldar use Malefic Daemonology.

Chapter Master

@OP

Only dragons i know of remotely near Bretonnia are the Forest Dragons in Athel Loren. The Brets have this thing about slaying dragons to prove how butch they are so you won't see a dragon as a mount unless they change the rules for the next book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazbad_Facestompa View Post
    A clever, obese goblin with a big axe is significantly more dangerous than a stiff breeze.
    Meh, debatable.

Swerving back on topic:

Saying "Bretonnians wouldn't have dragon mounts because Bretonnians kill dragons" is far too simplistic (even ignoring how rare dragons are in that part of the world). They kill monsters in general after all, not just dragons, and they're quite happy to ride hippogryphs apparently. So it's not a racist thing, they don't automatically kill dragons because they just do; they kill dragons because dragons burninate the countryside and burninate all the peoples. It's symbolic of conquering strife. The imagery there does not contradict that of raising a dragon as a mount.

There's no particular reason that Bretonnians should have dragons as mounts, but there's no background argument for precluding them either. Given GW's depressing 'kitchen sink' approach to army list design at the moment, I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see a dragon option in a future Bret army list. Theme be damned, why charge people 20 quid for their Lord when you could charge them 30?

And directly regarding the original post, I doubt killing a dragon that's eating all your peasants and livestock would get on their nerves that much. Dragons have varied personalities, they can be noble or they can be dicks.
    Idiots... nothing can live forever.

They can also be mutated 2 headed monstrosities spitting flames and mutations

I hope Bretonnian will keep their Arthurian/legendary medieval theme with no dragon mounts.

For me bretonnian should deal with dragons like that http://www.linternaute.com/musee/dia...ant-le-dragon/
    He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flatfoot, who'll never flinch from a fray

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3