Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: World edge mountainīs earthquakes

World edge mountainīs earthquakes

I was wondering which version is now the "canon" of why the world ege mountains were adjusted and the karaz ankor (empire of the dwarves) shattered.

In the lizardmen book (and until recently) the explanation was due to the readjustment of the continents made by a mage Slaan. But recently in the skaven army book it says that what caused it was a skaven device that caused a very big explosion.

I am more inclined to believe the older (i think it have been like that since 5th edition) theory of the Slaan moving the continents. But i am wondering if the skaven book contradicts this theory, or if when it talks about the skaven device they refer to something else, like some local collapse of certain area, and not the whole world edge mountains.

Re: World edge mountainīs earthquakes

I thought it was the skaven but the slaan, not knowing about the skaven at that point, believed it was due to one of their spells going a wee bit wrong.

Assuming it's the slaan, kindda amusing how the biggest grudge of all isn't even known to the dwarfs

I prefer it being the Slann's fault. It makes them seem less "good", which they need to avoid becoming Warhammer's shining lizard templars of order and justice.
    I roll Boxcars 40k and Fantasy blog ( and sometimes Warmachine) Hobby articles, battle reports and more!

Enter the Dark City, the only Dark Eldar exclusive forum!

Chapter Master

Shattering an entire mountain range, nearly extinguishing a race in fire and war is pretty ridiculous. If it has to happen I prefer insanely powerful magic over a bunch of rats building a bomb big enough to blow up a sizeable part of the continent. (and then apparently never managing it again)

At least with magic you can roll your eyes and go meh it's magic.

Well it appears the latest fluff blames Slaan Mage Lord Quex. Perhaps his spell also caused the Skaven machine to explode, and the rats just assumed they rolled a misfire. Then took the credit for the havoc.
    Last edited by RealMikeBob; 02-01-2011 at 23:27.

Banned

I read it as the Slaan first so will go with that.

First of all, I believe the skaven causing the earthquakes was the original version, and they changed it with the release of Lizardmen in 5th edition. So it's really retconning a retcon

Anyways, I've always assumed it was a combination of both factors that broke the World's Edge mountains, and either alone wouldn't have caused the same amount of devastation. The Lizardmen book mentions the Slann have performed other re-alignments since that didn't have the same impact, so I view this as evidence of my theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by spetswalshe View Post
    R-Love got it right (while unconsciously betraying his obvious desire for a harem of Beastman sex-slaves in the process)

The Skaven claim credit, but then they are rather good at that (When things go well)
    Pre Heresy Alpha Legion
    29/11/13 Odds and sods since Betrayal
    Nietzsche is dead.
    -God

Chaplain

I'm pretty sure it's still the Slann, although the Skaven's wmd sure didn't help. There's no way a big explosion could do the vast amount of damage that brought down the dwarven underempire.

The Lizardmen book mentions the Slann have performed other re-alignments since that didn't have the same impact, so I view this as evidence of my theory.
    It's unlikely that realignments since that one have been on the same scale as the one that ruined the dwarves. It only makes sense that shifting an entire mountain range filled with tunnels and underground cities would be devastating for those places. One localized explosion though, would never have that kind of wide-ranging impact. So, while it's still plausible that the combination of Skaven and Slann interventions caused the destruction, I would say that the Slann contribution significantly overshadowed that of the Skaven.

Chapter Master

Skaven were the "first" to destroy the WEM. Long before the lizardmen emerged from the designer studios the skavens built a big mother of all machines. A giant drilling machine, which went mad and caused the havoc.

personally: I don't care who it was. The important thing is that the dwarf empire were torn apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    You just destroyed my dreams. Are you happy now? :cries:

The lands of the nether, where the dutch roam free in the fields of Holland

Quote Originally Posted by kramplarv View Post
    personally: I don't care who it was. The important thing is that the dwarf empire were torn apart.
    You sadistic bastard!

You wouldn't happen to play elves, would you?

You better reach a conclusion in this thread, guys. I want to know who's head to bash in to settle this grudge!
    It seems mildly odd that the Slann wobble the world's edge mountains around like a plate of pudding but their core believe ( mazdamundi in particular ) is the dwarfs should stay in the mountains. "You buggers should stay in the mountains. Do as we tell y - PUDDING WOBBLE ATTACK!" I guess they really are coldblooded that they don't really care.
    They should do these magic tricks to the actual bad guys ;0 ( Or to the elves. Would be funny.. )

Currently the official canon is that the Slann or Lord quex specifically, wobbled about the continents with their realignment. The Skaven fired their magical machine which used as much warpstone as they could find IIRC. It misfired ( wouldn't be the last time skaven tech went wrong ) although partially worked. This magical blast through the roots of the mountains worsened the effect the slann realignment had on the worlds' edge mountains. They had already undergone mystical upheaval so this blast of magic made it all go screwey.

Personally I finnd the time of woes and resulting goblin wars to be the biggest shame to fall upon warhammer history.
    Last edited by The bearded one; 03-01-2011 at 09:20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    TBO is the only person I know who can take an absurdly oversized and expensive model, give him bright purple armor and a turquoise codpiece, and leave me feeling like I have to have one.
    Painting logs: - Dwarfs -Lizardmen -Skaven -Beastmen -Tau -NMM knights of the white wolf - Commissions - BURNING WOOD ELVES (also NMM)
    ---> Newest: 15-11-2015; Flaming wood elves (burning treemen and dryads etc) - army complete! ---> New: 18-5-2014; 2 prizes at Throne of Skulls!!!!!

They were following the notes left by the old ones. It said that the continents had to be shifted at that time. Also isn't Mazdamundi the only one who is ardent in the 'stay still' theory ?

The lands of the nether, where the dutch roam free in the fields of Holland

Quote Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
    They were following the notes left by the old ones. It said that the continents had to be shifted at that time. Also isn't Mazdamundi the only one who is ardent in the 'stay still' theory ?
    Mazdamundi is the proponent of the 'stay in your corner' theory. The elves got Ulthuan and should stay the hell there. The dwarfs got the mountains and humies got pretty much the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    TBO is the only person I know who can take an absurdly oversized and expensive model, give him bright purple armor and a turquoise codpiece, and leave me feeling like I have to have one.
    Painting logs: - Dwarfs -Lizardmen -Skaven -Beastmen -Tau -NMM knights of the white wolf - Commissions - BURNING WOOD ELVES (also NMM)
    ---> Newest: 15-11-2015; Flaming wood elves (burning treemen and dryads etc) - army complete! ---> New: 18-5-2014; 2 prizes at Throne of Skulls!!!!!

Well I wouldn't say the rest, then again you would think they'd be more active against Ogres then dwarfs, Ogres are a thriving species , Dwarfs are dying out.

The 5th ed Skaven armybook, released in 1996, say that they were responsible for the earthquakes.
    mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    You sadistic bastard!

You wouldn't happen to play elves, would you?
    DoC, BoC, WoC, Dwarfs, Empire, Skaven, Lizardmen, Bretonnia, VC, DoW are my main armies. I really really dislike elves of any kind in any game. I doesn't like the "ancient and slowly dying, but better than anyone else on anything" -approach at all. Not in tolkien, warhammer, or any other fantasy-setting

so, on topic. What I meant is that the important part of the fluff is that something happened that made the WME to collapse, and starting the time of Woe and goblin wars. I'm not interested in knowing it for a fact since that would partially diminish the "completeness" of the warhammer world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    You just destroyed my dreams. Are you happy now? :cries:

All right, so there is really nothing saying that both things could not happen. IIRC the skaven book was published later than the lizardmen one, so technically as of now, the skavens are the responsible.

I personally also like more the lizardmen justification, not only it makes for a ironic turn of events (good guys hitting on good guys), but it makes a lot more of sense in explaining all the destruction that went on, rather than simply be because of skaven technology. I donīt think any normal magic (no matter if combined with tech) is big enough to bring down an entire mountain range. From what i read on the lizardmen book, the power draw from the geomantic web (i donīt remember the exact name) is not from the Slaan itself, but from accumulated power of the own planet.

The old ones used that energy acumulated to move the continents, this lord Quex tried to do the same but caused a great pitfall, then destroyed one temple city killing another Slaan in the process (casually the one that was agaisnt him), and found a tablille in the ruins. Then it goes into saying that the tablille said everything was right according to the old ones. I found it funny because to me it sounded like a load of justifications for covering up his mistake, and it is interesting because it shows how the Slaan are not perfect and when they make a mistake they try to cover it instead of recognising they are wrong

I'm going with the ''Skaven made it worse, but it wouldn't have been possible without the Slann messing it up in the first place''-version. We don't know who did the worst of it but we do know that both races consider it to have caused the devastation, hence they can both be said to be serious offenders. Just a magical explosion or some slight magical upheaval wouldn't be enough and neither race knows that the other was up to something as well. It's not a case of ''I was just playing in the box and then Quexy came and realigned my sand empire!'' or vice versa.

It wouldn't go down well with me if one race had done it, particularily if it was the Skaven, and the Slann should only be able to do that kind of damage through long and exhausting concentration. This because I dislike ''we could win if we wanted to but *plot reason here/willing suspension of disbelief* prevents us''-situations.
    Last edited by Jack of Blades; 03-01-2011 at 15:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTwentythree View Post
    I just wish skaven had something "heavy hitter"-ish.

1000 year-old lords of the walking dead? Chosen avatars of the dark gods leading horrible creatures from another dimension? Ancient members of the civilization who created the very world upon which we wage our wars? Bah! We're skittish mutant rats. We've got a bell. And we're going to ring it till your ears hurt bleed. Bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    This because I dislike ''we could win if we wanted to but *plot reason here/willing suspension of disbelief* prevents us''-situations.
    Isn't that sort of how every army book is presented now (especially the bad guys)? Except for the Dwarves where the story ends on the high note of them not being completely eradicated yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast