Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pit Fights And Pit Fighters in the old world?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Veteran Sergeant

Pit Fights And Pit Fighters in the old world?

Hey all besides the little parts said about them in mordheim rescources does anyone know anything about pit fights in warhammer background? Also are they legal now in the empire? And if so what races would be forced to participate in them? Thanks in advance

Chapter Master

Re: Pit Fights And Pit Fighters in the old world?

According to the war hammer quest fluff for the pit fighter they're a fairly common form of entertainment in the empire. Including human pit fighters fighting a variety of captured creatures, whatever they can catch that promises a good fight I guess.

Chaplain

I always thought they were widespread but officially illegal. I can't imagine dwarfs, elves or halflings being involved, but ogres for sure (I think there's an ogre pitfighter in Mordheim anyway...). For the most part I'm pretty sure they just fight other pitfighters, although some probably end up against monsters in some cases, like griffons with clipped (i.e. amputated) wings, boars, maybe the odd orc or beastman even, in the shadier arenas?

Quote Originally Posted by asphodel View Post
    I can't imagine dwarfs, elves or halflings being involved
    Why ?

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    Why ?
    Because "Iiiiiiiiin the left corner, weighing in at 60 pounds, the beast of breakfast, the devourer of danishes, the earl of elevensies... BEEEERIAC BUMBLEFOOT!" does not exactly cause the crowd to go running for the bookies.

I think the audience would go nuts if they get the chance to see an actual Elf fighting, and the arena offers the perfect chance for any Slayer to die a glorious death in battle. As for Halflings, well, they're excellent marksmen and could use this to their advantage to fell enemies far bigger and stronger than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by snottlebocket View Post
    Because "Iiiiiiiiin the left corner, weighing in at 60 pounds, the beast of breakfast, the devourer of danishes, the earl of elevensies... BEEEERIAC BUMBLEFOOT!" does not exactly cause the crowd to go running for the bookies.
    No but a hafling thief with some custom daggers could make the fights 'short' but sweet .

Quote Originally Posted by snottlebocket View Post
    Well maybe not Beriac Bumblefoot, but Belkar Bitterleaf would definitely bring in the crowds:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0439.html

and I quote "I am a SEXY, SHOELESS, GOD OF WAR"

I imagine the owners of the pits probably search high and low to find exotic fighters and monsters to bring in more spectators and increase their potential profits.

Pitfighting may even be popular outside the empire (possibly even legal in some places); maybe not in Bretonnia, as the kingdom lacks a large number of larger settlements, but it could be quite popular in the Border Princes and possibly Tilea based on the somewhat chaotic nature of the regions. I would not be surprised if Sartosa had a few pits as well.

Of course this is all complete speculation though there might be some details in Sigmar's Heirs or some of the adventures in second edition WFRP. I think there is a brief description in the section on Altdorf in one of the book but I do not have the sources on hand.

regards,
    IT

edit: link should work now... maybe...
    Last edited by Idle Thought; 07-03-2011 at 21:59.

The Ogres have a strong tradition of pit fighting. The description of the Pit Fighter class in the second edition WHFB says that the tradition of pit fighting in the Old World may even have been introduced by the Ogres. I don't know if it's legal in the Empire or not, but I would guess a place like Marienburg would have it. And it probably exists in the Empire to, legal or not.

Chapter Master Hrokka `Eadsplitter's Avatar

I got into my head that they were illegal due to it being a form of Khorne-worshipping.
    Dogfights however, is legal.
    Ogres are of course selfwritten participants, but captured Norse should probably do it gladly to(Like the gauls captured by the romans was sent to the arena to amuse the roman people).
    "If we don't end war, war will end us."
    -H.G. Wells

Actually in the pit fighter warband you could have a slayer pit fighter. The dwarf book mentioned that dwarves don't mind a scrap and do find fighting enjoyable. Just they don't have a taste for bloodshed. So they don't mind brawling at times or the like, the sure don't look down on it.

Slayers on the other hand can be far traveled individuals, even into the empire. And even slayers need money for beer and food. So what is a good side job for a slayer, Why not a few rounds in the pits to get the blood pumping, show the manlings some true grit, and have money in your pocket afterwards for a night of drinking what ever beer you can find? It does not always have to be to the death with slayers, a good fight and pocket money goes a long way to easing your travel as you look for the death you want.

As the legity of pit fighting I imagine it has chanced often enough. I would say rather than the emperor it falls to the individual elector counts. I imagine in most places it is illegal... but not necessarily enforced to well. I imagine the range and manners of the pit fights vary greatly. Perhaps Middenheim there is not alot of non-human fight, or they perfer no weapons and only strait brawl matches. I imagine the tastes of the population change how they are ran and the level of pressure from authorities dictates just how underground the matches have to be.

Though I doubt you will have many elves as there is not alot of them roaming the empire and many that do have their own objectives to why. Not saying it is impossible but they would be quite a rarity.
    Last edited by EnternalVoid; 06-03-2011 at 22:28.

Thread Necro because of new info

Quote Originally Posted by Middenmordheimer View Post
    Hey all besides the little parts said about them in mordheim rescources does anyone know anything about pit fights in warhammer background?
    Accidentally stumbled across this article:
    Pit Fighting, White Wolf Inphobia #57, August 1995 expanded rules and skills. By Graeme Davis, aka the WFRP designer.

I just bought a copy of the magazine via eBay & it'll be here this weekend. I'll report back about it.

Re: Thread Necro because of new info

Quote Originally Posted by MythicParty View Post
    Pit Fighting, White Wolf Inphobia #57, August 1995 expanded rules and skills. By Graeme Davis, aka the WFRP designer.

I just bought a copy of the magazine via eBay & it'll be here this weekend. I'll report back about it.
    Also worth looking at for a description of pit fighting society and culture is Thomas Oesterlie's "A Day at the Fights." You can find it here: http://www.snotling.org/whfrp/Career...tTheFights.txt

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeDavis View Post
    Also worth looking at for a description of pit fighting society and culture is Thomas Oesterlie's "A Day at the Fights." You can find it here: http://www.snotling.org/whfrp/Career...tTheFights.txt
    Welcome to Warseer Name:  biggrin.gif
Views: 107
Size:  244 Bytes
    And thanks for that link!
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

This might also be useful: http://www.snotling.org/whfrp/Career...tTheFights.txt

Welcome to Warseer, hope you enjoy the discussion. Top tip, You wanna check the date of the last post on a thread before replying to it, this is known as 'necromancy'. Cheers
    "Philosophy is the battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of our language." -Wittgenstein.

"They are the words that rob all others of their meaning, the only words we shall ever need.. Blood for the Blood God."

:chrome:Clan Morragul, Legion X Iron Hands:chrome:

Quote Originally Posted by Gdolkin View Post
    Top tip, You wanna check the date of the last post on a thread before replying to it, this is known as 'necromancy'.
    Yeah man, I realized that- & if you go back to look you can see that actually made it a point to include 'Necromancy' in the subject of my original reply. But since what I was posting was only relevant to this specific thread, old or not that made more sense that starting a new thread.

But mainly the logic in resurrecting this topic was to help those who subscribed to the thread & auto update them as to a good answer for what the OP was looking for.

Yeah man, I realized that- & if you go back to look you can see that actually made it a point to include 'Necromancy' in the subject of my original reply. But since what I was posting was only relevant to this specific thread, old or not that made more sense that starting a new thread.

But mainly the logic in resurrecting this topic was to help those who subscribed to the thread & auto update them as to a good answer for what the OP was looking for.
    Aha, fair play, I hadn't noticed you'd changed the thread title for your posts, and your vile necromancy seems to have borne fruit My mistake, good warseering after all
    "Philosophy is the battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of our language." -Wittgenstein.

"They are the words that rob all others of their meaning, the only words we shall ever need.. Blood for the Blood God."

:chrome:Clan Morragul, Legion X Iron Hands:chrome:

Quote Originally Posted by Hragnar Goreskull View Post
    There is this link to a Pit Fighter game which was written by Jervis Johnson:
    http://tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/...ighterGame.pdf
    Link seems broken; any one know of a mirror?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast