Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 40K Daycare?

40K Daycare?

Hi,

I was wondering how many of you who game at your local store have found that in recent months/years the average age has dropped by 10 years and there is more need to watch where you step to avoid all the runts and little gretchin that are running around, unsupervised with no parents in sight.

For me it cheapens the whole day as I often have to wait for a free table and then get hassled by swarms of kids about weather or not his brown and green marine commander can actually tear his friends raveners limbs off?

Are game stores becoming creches? I really hope not. Sure the kids can have fun and learn a bit about the hobby, but under age 10 to me is pointless. They have a very limited attention span and tend to run around, eat and drink, then put their sticky paws on everything.

Do you have this problem?

Re: 40K Daycare?

Uh-oh, looks like your game store has started catering to the yugioh, pokemon crowed. what that happens, look for a gaming group.
    Kabal of the Shattered Blade underway, where are my grotesque...

In the darkest nightmares of anybody who grew up in the eighties

alphastealer, why not tap the wheels of the people there you enjoy playing against to see if you can set up games without relying on the store sometimes?

Sunny Leeds, where the sun doesn't actually shine

I remember when it was me that was at GW as a youngster, but rather then be a menace i used the time to get as much help with things from the staff and regulars, painting, army choices etc, if the youngsters were doing that now then i'm sure people wouldn't mind the kids being there all day.
    Ned's slow painting log
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Your right, and Abaddon really just wants to return the Emperors wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green-is-best View Post
    If Under Siege has taught us anything, and I think it has, it's that the cook is always the deadliest member of any military organization.

Hell (also known as Selby, North Yorkshire)

I've not experienced it as a gamer, but I certainly have as a customer.

Many a time I've had to fight my way through the kiddy hoardes just to get anywhere near the shelves, and you always get at least one idiot who adopts the 'you shall not pass' mentality' (a well filled rucksack 'accidentlally' in the head works well).

The oddest situation was when one of the little 'darlings' decided I'd make a good substitute parent, and wanted to borrow money from me (I had no idea who this kid was & he certainly didn't get my cash).

The only good part, is that it really reinforces my resolve never, ever to have kids.
    War does not determine who is right - only who is left (Bertrand Russell).

War is a continuation of politics by other means (Karl von Clausewitz)

In the darkest nightmares of anybody who grew up in the eighties

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Mortal View Post
    The only good part, is that it really reinforces my resolve never, ever to have kids.
    I dunno, kids are like farts.

You can't stand other people's, but you quite like your own.

Chapter Master

TBH the age of the customers in store has tended to put me off going there ever - I play games with my friends and order minis online. Maybe I'm just getting old and miserable...

Mark.

(edit) - also the staff get so used to talking to kids they seem to talk to me like I was 12 - it all just seems a little wierd.

I never had this problem at my last gaming place since the kids were there with their dads because it was a father/son(sometimes daugther) activity and therefore the dads kept a good watch on thier kids. They also had very good manners even if dad wasn't around.
    The 450th Vietnamese Imperial Guard Regiment, Battlefleet Tonkin and the Ultramarines 5th Company
    DSA' Talabecland Empire Army
    Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo Vegas View Post
    This thread is like watching a train wreck. Its happening slowly and we can't do anything but watch. But we are also dispatching more an more trains to the site of the crash, creating a progressively bigger and more horrific train crash in the process.

The limiting factor for me is space. If I or my friends had more space to setup proper game tables at home then we would. So due to the space contraint we are forced to play at the shop.

Sometimes it is fine but if you catch it on a bad day...then it is like a schoolyard.

I am also one of those players who likes to use a few choice words when the dice fail me at critical moments. Nothing directed at the other player..just to the dice gods.

I also like a cold beer between turns to calm the nerves and help me relax before my next movement phase.

The store is usually happy with both, unless of course the young mob are there.

Veteran Sergeant

Ironically enough my partner and I refer to the GW stores as Creche. When planning a shopping trip I'm asked if I want to be dropped off at Creche.

Recently though I can't set foot in a GW store. Far too many kids. That and the smell....

It's much the same in Northern Germany. The average age has dropped significantly, and I feel that was a choice GW deliberately made. As recently as five years ago, staff wouldn't recommend the hobby for ages under 12 and would tell parents exactly that.

GW seems to think that they'll make more money in the long run by having a highly fluctuating, young customer base than with an older group that typically sticks around for longer (but is arguably smaller). I don't know what's best here.

For the hobby itself though, I think it's not the greatest thing to have too many young "gamers" compared to older, more informed ones.
    My local store rarely sees large events with lots of armies now, as it did back when. Since GW dropped the "three-colour-rule", we rarely see well-painted or even fully painted armies either.
    It's becoming like a school with too many students and too few teachers. The kids have next to no one to teach them how to paint ("splash on Foundation paints and dip in Foundation wash" is not painting in my books), to play properly or to stick with an army until it's big enough to actually use the rules that come with the game.

I'm ranting, sorry. I often run the painting lessons and it's poor sport when they barely reaach the top of the table.

Back when I worked at GW parents used to drop their kids off all the time before opening and then pick them up at close, so yeah it was free day care.

My favourite is when they would stop by and say things like "where's my kid? Shouldnt you be watching them?"
    Commission Painting and Airbrushing PM Me
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

I have noticed a significant drop in age in GW stores. However, the kids were (remarkably) quite well behaved, and didn't actually run around screaming and throwing stuff everywhere.

Mind you, I very rarely visit GW. The last time I walked into a GW on a regular basis was months ago, and I've rarely visited since. However, when I was scouting around universities a few weeks ago (which was during the half-term), there wasn't very many children about, and they were supervised by parents. Plus the staff actually talked to me like an adult, not as a 10 year old.

I guess it depends on where you go.
    My Imperial project log: - (On hiatus)
    Nomrana Est's Imperial Escapade

Quote Originally Posted by Arthanor View Post
    ...[snip]...which goes with what Nomrana Est suggested.

The one change I've noticed about the age kids in my local store is in the last six months is that the age has dropped by about two years. The kids are now ten years old and below, rather than twelve when they start playing, which does affect the atmosphere in the store. Plus they take an age to finish their games because of not even having a basic grasp of the rules.

Banned

home is the better place to play. always. ^_^

We just play in my garage, it's unfortunate not everyone can. All gamers need a place to play, our LGS isn't really big enough to host more than one game, even then all the magic players cry because we are using "their tables" to play with our toys.

In my garage there are no kids allowed, my little brother is the only exception, he is 18. Warhammer for me is more fun when I can drink, smoke and swear at my dice.
    The older I get, the better I was.

When I first started, I was one of those little kids. I was eight when I got my first mini and I'd been dying to start collecting since I was five or six. I've now been playing Warhammer for almost thirteen years and I can't imagine life without it.
    I think next time you start whining about kids playing your sport (which, I hope you realise is a board game using model soldiers set in a science fantasy universe) you should remember that one day that kid is going to be better than you at every aspect of the hobby.

I agree 10 and under are annoying, but they are small enough to man handle. the ones i worry about are the 300lbs 22 year olds who bring fake swords and "battle" with other naruto kids".

Quote Originally Posted by Godzooky View Post
    I dunno, kids are like farts.

You can't stand other people's, but you quite like your own.
    Thats brilliant, lol. I quite agree

Heh. Happens at my LGS to a small degree on card gaming days. They sure love their pokemon. Otherwise we never really see any young kids running around.
    I roll Boxcars 40k and Fantasy blog ( and sometimes Warmachine) Hobby articles, battle reports and more!

Enter the Dark City, the only Dark Eldar exclusive forum!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast