Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chaos dwarfs as Dwarfs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chaos dwarfs as Dwarfs?

After listening to the latest garagehammer episode I really fancy making a chaos dwarf army.

Now I know there is the Indy gt list and the 2 page ravening hordes list but what about using them as normal dwarfs? Which would you rather see a chaos dwarf player use?

The reason I ask is I don't want to build a list for one type and then not be able to use it at tournaments. I know my local group wouldn't care much.

Thank in advance.

Chapter Master

Re: Chaos dwarfs as Dwarfs?

Normal dwarfs would lose pretty much all of the theme of the army.

The ravening hordes list isn't half bad in 8th edition. Plenty of artillery, access to both cheap and elite infantry blocks, good magic and really easy to get ld 10.

I use the ravening Hordes list, you really lose a lot of flavor if you use the vanilla dwarfs book.
    I roll Boxcars 40k and Fantasy blog ( and sometimes Warmachine) Hobby articles, battle reports and more!

Enter the Dark City, the only Dark Eldar exclusive forum!

Go ravening hordes! thats what I do and the Chaos dwarfs are great in 8th.
    Chaos Dwarfs Exist.

Visit my Chaos Dwarfs

And I'll add a voice for "use the ravening hordes". The nature of the army itself is about the hobby approach. If you want to go to a tournament, just use your regular armies, don't spoil the "hobby army" by restricting your theme to competitive play. An army like CD is about converting and having fun, not about digging out the ancient artifact of power to crush all the opposition, right?

Any self-respecting Chaos Dwarf would rather die than use the Dwarf book and thus resorts to Ravening Hordes.

Chapter Master

indeed.. Ravening hordes..

Chapter Master Commodus Leitdorf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nkari View Post
    indeed.. Ravening hordes..

That needed to be limed for effect.

Use the Ravening Hordes list, The Dwarf list just makes them...boring.
    "The Breaking of the Averholme" -- League of the Lion (Empire - Retired)
    Commodus Leitdorf Paints all the Things!
    Warhammer Montreal

If the ravening hordes list was not availabe, then I would say use dwarfs for lack of a better option. But if you have the list, then it is best to use that. Pretty hard to shoe horn bull centaurs and hob gobs into regular dwarfs.
    People who think there's no good way to die have obviously never heard the phrase 'Drug-fuelled-sex-heart attack'.

My norse dwarfs
    Hive Fleet Colossus (zoats!)

Now there is a good list of common magic items, Ravening Hordes is a good solid option.

As Odin says, the new items in the BRB means that the Ravening Hordes list is a lot better. And the latest FAQ for that list advises you to use whichever OnG book is current for rules/ prices for any Greenskins in the army. So that means ITP Black Orcs with Choppa great weapons for you.

I still use the Ravening Hordes list, I had a look though the Indy book that was produced but didn't like it. Too many units "spoiled the broth" for me...
    Mat Ward Fact#82- Mat Ward once paddled down the Thames using himself as a canoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSte View Post
    You are Bigby- Monkeybane, Devourer of All Things, Purifer of Genners, Noobslayer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzooky View Post
    Did you punch him in the solar plexus while bellowing "50mm base? You stupid ****! Try not caring now! I win, mother*******! I win!!! Hahahaha!!!" ?

Yeah I know that it does kill some of the options and flavour playing them as dwarfs but the reason I ask is the GW tournaments such as 'Ard boyz do not allow Chaos Dwarfs at all.

Maybe I should play safe and build the army with the Ravening Hordes as the mainstay but with the capability to transfer tehm to a chaotic Dwarf Army should I need to.

I also notice no love for the Indy GT list?

Quote Originally Posted by RTGamer View Post
    I also notice no love for the Indy GT list?
    Whilst I approve of anyone who puts the time and effort into writing a proper fandex (I know how difficult it is- I've been working on an Estalian one for over a year now...and am nowhere near finished!), there just seemed to be too many things in it that felt like they were included simply because the creators thought "Ooh...that's a cool idea, lets bang them in!"

The Ravening Hordes list is fine as it is- it contains all the things you could get in the old WD presents: Chaos Dwarfs...Chaos Dwarf warriors and blunderbuss's, Bull Centaurs, Earthshakers and Death Rockets and a goodly mix of greenskins.

The reason I'd not recommend the Dwarf book is, as others have stated, you lack the things that made it unique- slow, powerful infantry, cheap infantry, fast cavalry and magic.

As noted above, if you have all the figures and want to take them to a tourney, WoC are probably the best bet:

Warriors- Chaos Warriors
    Hobgoblins/ Wolfriders- Marauders, Marauder Horsemen
    Earthshaker- Hellcannon
    Centaurs- Knights
    Sneaky Gits- Forsaken (bit of a stretch) or AHW Marauders
    Great Taurus- Dragon
    Lamasu- Manticore

OK, so there's no blunderbuss's or bolt throwers, but you do get a decent amount of choice with the above. You could even throw some Black Orcs into the mix as warriors with a different mark.
    Mat Ward Fact#82- Mat Ward once paddled down the Thames using himself as a canoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSte View Post
    You are Bigby- Monkeybane, Devourer of All Things, Purifer of Genners, Noobslayer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzooky View Post
    Did you punch him in the solar plexus while bellowing "50mm base? You stupid ****! Try not caring now! I win, mother*******! I win!!! Hahahaha!!!" ?

Chapter Master

The indy GT list has even less tournaments that allows it.. and I didnt like the indy list that much myself..

Overall I think the hordes list is fine.. just minor tweaks here and there.. and its fine.. =)

...this way... says the fox ....................

My mate is using the WoC armybook, its a good choice to bash bash CD's.
    .......... alittle more ....... a little more.

What? How? No Goblins, no Black Orcs, no shooting, no warmachines, no Bullcentaurs...

...this way... says the fox ....................

Quote Originally Posted by Korraz View Post
    What? How? No Goblins, no Black Orcs, no shooting, no warmachines, no Bullcentaurs...
    warriors warriors and more warriors + knight stats as centaurs + human stats as hobgoblins and 2 WMs

Anyone seen 'mantra's'(spelling) Abyss Dwarves BTW? They are freaking AWESOME! At about a third of the price GW models.
    Last edited by Frankly; 02-04-2011 at 09:54.
    .......... alittle more ....... a little more.

Brother Sergeant

Ravening hordes list is the one with op hobgoblins at 2points?

Brother Sergeant

Definitely ravening hordes.

Chapter Master Zanzibarthefirst's Avatar

I havent seen any Chaos Dwarf lists in a while. When talking bout ravening hordes, are you talking about the little booklet with night goblins on the front produced about 10 years ago or is there an updated version?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast