Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My unimaginatively entitled terrain project log

Re: My unimaginatively entitled terrain project log

Loving the fort
    Deff Skullz lookin good to

All of your stuff is brilliant, i love the graffiti thats all over everything.

Those walls made out of the moulded cardboard is absolutely fantastic, when i first saw it i assumed you were making dragon teeth style tank traps.

What did you use to make the water pools, was it just resin with green colouring to it?

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

Good evening

thank you for all the great comments. I fully intended responding sooner but its been a while since I did any terrain! I can't quite get my head around the fact that three and a half years have gone by since I last updated this log. Bonkers.

For most of that time I've been working on my mutants and Beastmen, but this year has been mostly about Orks.

I want to take some army shots on my Realm of Battle of the two modest collections as they currently stand, but the only scenery I've got is what's in this log, which isn't very much. I bought a Basilica Administratum but before I build that I want to finish off a job I started two or three years ago....

They've been sat by my window all that time, gathering dust and becoming brittle in the daylight: branches were pinging off everywhere when I cleaned them up. This evening I glued them back together and greenstuffed the joins. Tomorrow I'm going to begin the painting. They actually look quite nice in that moody lighting, but in reality they are really lacking in definition (and obviously the greenstuff needs covering).

Hopefully I'll get another photo up soon.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the rest of your weekend folks!

A D

I painted the greenstuff white and while that was drying had a look at photos of dead trees. I found a few I liked the look of, and using those as a starting point went and tried breaking down the colours involved, matching them up with my paints

The front row has my base colour in the centre, Balor Brown, with the paints going of to the left being progressive layers, those to the right being progressive shades. The row of four in the back are snazz-up washes for the final stages. I'm winging this though so they might well change.

First off I put down a watery coat of Balor brown over the entire tree. I wanted the subtle tones of the previous off-white paintjob to come though as I think it might help make the finished job look more naturalistic (as naturalistic as a fantasy tree can)

I wondered whether to apply the next stage as a drybrush or edge highlighting, and decided on drybrushes for the highlights and wet shading for the dark tones. First highlight is a drybrush of Ogryn Camo

I pretty much applied this first highlight all the way around the tree, spending more time on the areas facing up. It's subtle so far but I can assure you there's green on there......

That's it for now. Next will be the first shade.

Thanks for looking and have a great week folks!

A D

With a green thumb like that there can be no doubt that your trees will grow!

Some awesome work in here. I especially love your Ork terrain!

Subscribed, and keep up the great work.

ModernKiwi: they died :-)

Darnok: Cheers! One more set of woods to paint then the Administratum, which I might Ork up a bit

Citadel Wood #1 complete....

More to follow......

...continued

And with various minis posing on it....

I basically just applied a highlight with a drybrush followed by a shade with a wet paint wash, and repeated going lighter/darker until it looked about right.

One more of these to do and then the Administratum.

A D

Those trees are absolutely beautiful. I'm loving the Enemy Within vibe - it looks like an early John Blanche picture come to life.

D6damage: thank you very much. Well, I'm a big fan, so maybe there's an influence or two. I'm also a fan a Ian Miller, and I was thinking some Seekers of Slaanesh with those spindly, claw and face-like trees behind might look quite nice. I've actually just started playing The Enemy Within too :-)

Here's Wood #2

I don't think its as nice as #1. The brushing isn't as subtle. This is most likely due to my drybrushes being reduced to stumps from painting the first one. Also I think I went a bit heavy with the shading. Still, I reckon it'll pass on the battlefield. Here they are both together along with a Druid and some mutant dudes

Not sure what to paint next. I've got the week off and I'm supposed to be painting the Administratum. Only thing is, that needs prepping and assembling and I don't fancy spending any of my holiday removing moldlines. I've just started working my way through the Battlegames in Middle Earth magazines. I bought the whole lot a couple of years ago (many with the miniatures still attached). My dad came round last Sunday and we played the first game: Aragorn vs Goblins. We played two games, swapping around on the second. My dad beat me 2:0. Much fun. Might paint some Tolkien :-)

Thanks for looking folks and enjoy your week :-)

A D

I started playing The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle game using the old Battle Games in Middle-Earth part works, a few weeks ago. We're on issue six this Sunday and I need some terrain.

I filled the gaps with greenstuff, applied texture paint here and there just to break up the surface a little, and to get some stony texture on there I added the odd brush of Typhus Corrosion too before undercoating

And after undercoating them white, basecoating with Skavenblight Dinge, washing with Castellan Green, drybrushing with Administratum Grey, then washing again with Balor Brown, repeating the drybrush, then adding more selective washes of The Fang/Gorthor Bown and again with The Fang/Dryad Bark, and finishing with a final drybrush of Administratum Grey, they turned out like this.........

There maybe some vandalism on the next batch :-)

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend folks!

They look awesome. I just wish the plastic walls had been a little thicker, but you take what you can get.

Seems like a lot of work reading about it, but the results are just beautiful. I've still got a couple sets of those unpainted that I will have to try your method on.

From a Galaxy far, far away...

Hello!
    It’s been a while since I did any terrain. Got stuck into painting Beastmen but now that I have enough to get a good game in I’m focusing on preparing the battlefield. There’s a piece of artwork in the new Beasts of Chaos battletomb showing Stormcast Eternals getting their heads kicked in by the Beasts, amongst the ruins of a city, and it’s got my imagination working. I’ve a game due in a couple of months with my dad, with his Stormcast funnily enough, so I’m getting as much terrain painted as I can until then.

Nothing grand so far, I finished the herdstone early last month and I’ve recently completed four objective markers. I’m in the middle of painting the Walls and Fences set and after that I’ll be doing a Deathworld Forest kit and as many Azyrite Ruins as I can.

Anyway, some pics of finished things and a bit of WiP:

I’m particularly pleased with how the Walls and Fences are coming out. I’m really enjoying painting them - I usually spend some time out hiking at the weekend but I've done something to my Achilles tendon so I'm stuck in, but I've been getting my nature fix painting the scenery, which is not THAT unlike the drystone walls and ruined fences scattered about the hills where I live (albeit with a different colour scheme). With so much on the to-do list I should be on here a fair bit over the next month or two, and if I can’t shake the terrain bug I might have a go at a big project I was supposed to have started five years ago!

Thanks for looking,
    A D

I really like the weathered wood of your fences. I am never quite satisfied with my own: it's to light, too dark too brown or too grey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Cheers Codsticker :-) I did pretty much the same recipe I use on my Beastmen shields and handles, and I've been doing those for a few years now. It's almost all washes. I do a basecoat of Celestra Grey, a wash of Nuln Oil, and then watery washes of the following (applied more selectively with each wash): Celestra Grey, The Fang, Gorthor Brown, Baneblade Brown, Tallarn Sand, Karak Stone, Russ Grey, and finally a highlight of Ulthuan Grey. Hope that helps.

There are eleven pieces in the Walls and Fences set. I've done eight :-)

Where’s that stinking Grot???????

More pics to follow.......

......continued

Quite pleased with those. I struggled taking photographs of each whole side of a wall and keeping them in focus, hence the half shots. Apologies for the repeat Beastmen pose!
    Either Deathworld Forest or Azyrite Ruins next :-)

A D

Ps, I got on the letters page of the March White Dwarf!

beautiful work and congratulations

Abraham Danglebreech,

Wonderful painting there.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Necromunda figures - Selling Painted Elysian Army, and other bits for 40K and terrain

nitromors and Captain Brown, thank you both :-)

Kill Team Deathworld Forest turned up last Friday. There's LOADS of scenery in there. I'll be using it mostly for AoS but I occasionally play 40k too. There aren't currently rules in AoS for all the scenery pieces but I reckon I'll stick all of them on the table anyway. The Eldritch ruins covered in Barbed Venomgorse are clearly for 40k but I don't think they'll look out of place on an AoS board. Anyway, I've made a start on the Shardwrack Spines. I painted them up first, splitting the models into two areas of colour: purple for the main body and blue for the sharp bits, using a combination of watery washes and drybrushing, and then gave the whole thing a wash of Nuln Oil, and a second on the spiky bits. I had originally intended to paint the globular things as red eyes but it wasn't working for me. Quite pleased with how they turned out. I've done two so far: one short section and a long one. Three left to do but so I don't get bored doing one thing I'm currently preparing some Azyrite Ruins. The pile is large :-)

I don't know what the rules for Shardwrack Spines are in 40k, but in AoS its pretty simple: get caught within reach of them and your unit suffers d3 mortal wounds. Lucky Gor above :-)

The Deathworld forest stuff seems to be disappearing from the website and I know they're not being replaced in the Manchester store. Currently you can get them in The Kill Team Kill Zone Deathworld Forest box, and there are a few smaller Kill Team kits. Other than that I think the only kit available online is Eldritch Ruins. Maybe they're being reboxed? But I reckon if you've been thinking about getting this stuff maybe now is the time.

A D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast