Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: In Midnight Clad - A Night Lord's Log

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Re: In Midnight Clad - A Night Lord's Log

Thanks!

Phew. Done with the command units! VIII Legion Standard Bearer complete.

Some background... "While just as bloodthirsty and cruel as their Nostraman brothers, the VIII Legion Terran companies maintained more of the trappings of formal legion warfare, such as fabric standards, over the flayed skin banners of other companies."

This decal is a bit weird. It's WAY larger than any of the standards I have, so trimming it down was very necessary. I also had to do layers of the same decal as the first was just wayyyy too dark. Luckily I had two sheets!

While the back of the pole isn't the greatest (structural integrity is more important than perfect lines in the bock.

I am VERY pleased with the blending and highlight on the cape though. So much glazing.

The command of the Legion all together!

I think I'm off to do a couple of Custodes and Imperial Fists before I dive in on the Night Lords Leviathan. Maybe.

Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 03-06-2019 at 02:05.

Bringing a little more REFINED weaponry to the old elites of Nostramo... Sharp blades for better skin slicing... Happy with how the first VIII Legion Raptor is turning out.

Prince of Croooows! Garanaul the Black's Avatar

Great work on that command squad!

Is the Raptor stock Forge World or is it a conversion?
    Hey Twin Peaks fans! Check out my podcast, It's Happy Hour in France on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, and RadioPublic!

It's on Random: A mostly Chaos Space Marine PLOG.

++Veteran of the Long Painting War++

Quote Originally Posted by Garanaul the Black View Post
    Great work on that command squad!
    Thanks! They're my favourites. It is interesting to see how much lighter my blue has gotten since my early models though. More confident with the zenithal I guess.

Is the Raptor stock Forge World or is it a conversion?
    The body is Forge World Night Raptor as you'd expect. The sword is from a FW Emperor's Children Palatine Blade, and the helmet is from an old metal Iron Warriors conversion kit that I just liked the aggressive look of.

Speaking of which, another one down! I'll go and do all of their backpacks when I'm done. Really pleased with this guy's skull helm. He also has just one flayed-skin glove. He's like the Michael Jackson of murder.

Choosing reason weapons before adding BFTBG was... a bad choice in retrospect.

Took a break from Raptors and did a Moritat instead...

I was planning on wearing-and-tearing the armour like I did with the Destroyer squad, but decided against it as in my head this guy is higher-ranked, and has more legion serfs to polish his armour after every battle, but he's still rocking the red gauntlets... Also I didn't feel like it. I also have no idea where the shall casing came from, but oh well.

I alternated the angle of the "spotter" to cover the opposite of where he's looking, and also changed the colour of the indicators on the back of the Volkites. Green for good to go, yellow and red for the one that overheated.

Sweet brushwork as always and love the idea with the indicators

Thanks Nitromors!

Last post for the year before a break! I told myself I would finish these Night Raptors before I left for my holidays, and so I did.

Trying something different for showcasing things with this collage below. These are a lot lighter than a lot of my early Night Lords, but as I've grown in confidence I've grown more willing to lighten up details and whatnot. Lots of blends of regular Citadel Paint and Constrast paint all over. The toolbox is so huge now, I don't think I could have gotten these results even a year ago. The red on the legion icon really pops for me now.

For specifics...

In hindsight, painting the glaives red before adding BFTBG was a mistake, but you get the idea.

Love this "leering" pose. Unlike the sergeant, this one's mask really is part of a skull! Sword from the Palatine Blade kit, as I feel like it has a very sinister vibe to it.

I wish the Night Lords decal sheet had smaller Nostraman runes, but adding them either side of the lightning-bolt-coffin icon worked well for the squad marking.

There's SO much detail on these models, including the strands of leather holding the bones and skin flaps in place.

Even in Nostraman tarot decks, the Ace of Spades is of prime importance...

This guy turned out well. Slicing the decal on the leg, making the lighting arc behind the cords. Very pleased with his overall look.

And that's me done for 2020. I might post a wrap-up post from my holidays with a collage of everything I've done this year... Maybe. I'm very slow, so it's not a lot, but hey, never hurts to try. Have a Happy Holidays everyone! I'll be leaving my brushes at home and have loaded my iPad with all sorts of Black Library goodness. See you next year!

I'm loving those Raptors, the character just drips off of them
    Hey Twin Peaks fans! Check out my podcast, It's Happy Hour in France on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, and RadioPublic!

I'm loving those Raptors, the character just drips off of them
    Well good news... THERE ARE MORE OF THEM!

Also, apparently this is officially the most active thread in this subform. Makes me a bit depressed.

Some quarantine Raptors WIP. Just need to add the backpacks. 30K Night Lords Night Raptors doubling as 40K Warp Talons! Mostly done. Using the warp talon claws on the 30K raptor bodies was not super fun, as the shoulder pads on the Raptors are fixed, so there's less flexibility in poses. Still, pleased with the result.

Backpacks to come this week.

I love them! Great work, looking forward to seeing them with their jump packs!

Stay safe!

I love them! Great work, looking forward to seeing them with their jump packs!

Stay safe!
    It's just you and me here man...

But yeah, the Night Raptors / Warp Talons are DONE! If not for Citadel Contrast, these probably would still be unpainted. Being able to do Wraithbone > 50/50 Guilliman Flesh/Contrast Medium layer > Reikland Fleshshade > Highlight with Flayed One Flesh > liberal Blood for the Blood God I think I'd have gone made and given up.

Blue is the normal (VMA Imperial Blue > Zenithal VMA Magic Blue > Drakenhoff Nightshade) and so is the metal. Not much experimentation otherwise.

I'm trying out the black background on these guys. I think it looks pretty darn good! Really digging the look and vibe it gives. Nice colour balance. I might stick with this for the duration.

It took a while to get the claws working with the bodies. I'm pretty pleased with the guy on the left, swooping in. Popped a Nostraman rune on his head and really happy with it. The guy in the middle has a legion of damned helmet which I thought looked appropriately creepy, floating slowly forward. The sergeant is a good looking generic pose.

Left hang guy was a bit of a stretch post with what I had available, but it works okay. Guy on the right got a nice ominous pose as an Imperial Fist head at his feet. As a unit they're nice and cohesive.

That's a shame, hopefully the site will get more traffic as the quarantine wears on.

I really like those poses, especially the sargeant coming at you. Nice mix of Forge World and plastic kits.
    Last edited by Garanaul the Black; 09-04-2020 at 02:49.

Looking aces mate

Wonderful work Engel.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP Sisters of Battle with Standards - Selling loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Talos Valcoran of First Claw, VIII Legion, 10th Company, Successor to the Throne of the Warband of the Exalted, Captain of the Echo of Damnation, called "Soul Hunter."

Just having some fun with various bits and discovered I could make a good Talos. I like him with a cape though. For 30K I guess he can be a Consul of some kind.

I see metal, plastic and resin in that model Engel. Am I right?

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP Sisters of Battle with Standards - Selling loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

SWEET conversion there!

Much thanks! The Night Lords are next up — Lord Executioner, Decimus/Talos, and Praetor in PA and in Tartaros armour are all primed and pre-shaded.

I did do a little warmup with a Legion Warmonger Centurion! (And Legion Vigilator for my Imperial Fists over in the other thread)

Fun inclusion of a bunch of random parts! Tyberos the Red Wake's body that rescued from my friend's old bitz box. A Night Lords MKIV head for flavour, some fun Tartaros termie arms, shoulder pads, and storm bolter (one of the best out there!) as well as Alexis Pollux's power fist.

I'm actually not sure where I got the cape from to be honest...

looks really nice, going to dip into 30k and do a white scars army as a mate at work has world eaters and now started a night lords army. will have to see if his is up to scratch and matches yours
    Flashheart: Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves. I wouldn't want them on my conscience, not when they ought to be on my face!

Looks great! Conversion, sense of movement, and paint job are all top notch

You mentioned the bolter being one of the best out there, what kit is it from?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast