Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wolf model coming.

Brother Sergeant

New Wolf model coming.

New Wolf model coming.

Not sure if this is news or if it's already come up before but one of the Forgeworld guys let it slip to me that they won't be doing wolves with the new hobgoblins because they will be using new plastic ones from GW.

One kit will build 5 wolves I think thats bad for O&G because I think they get 8 in a box now but the wolves sound cool and they are apparently big enough for a space marine.

I don't play 40k so I don't care but I think that makes them bigger then the current wolf.

Commander

Re: New Wolf model coming.

they cant be too much bigger or they will need a bigger base.

sounds cool though, this may indicate new wolf riders and wolf chariot in the foreseeable future
    they're dalek bumps

Eddies Blue Ogres
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316474

i cant see a plastic box of wolves coming out in their own. if it was a new kit realese , such as re-doing goblin wolf riders or plastic thunderwolf cav , then sure .

i can see it being 2 wolves for 10 in finecast as a new realease, if anything.
    fenrisian wolves size.

Brother Sergeant

The guy told me that the plastic sprue makes 5 wolves and that you will GW and Forgeworld will use them for everything that needs a wolf.

The wolves are clean so anyone can use them as packs so any model that goes on them will need to have the saddle on them as the wolf model is just a wolf.

Not sure how this works with the goblin chariot as don't you need 3 wolves to make a chariot I really didn't think to ask about that but then again not sure he would know as he doesn't work for GW.

Banned

New wolves seems likely, as the old model has been in use for 20+ years by now... and the current goblin riders themselves were released 99-00 or so.

Five in a box (even if gobbo wolfriders are cheap pointswise) looks realistic, although not ideal, but the beancounters that decides often seems not to be totally in phase with their calculations shelfspace/income per volume sold, and armylists requirements.

Making them big enough not to look silly* used as thunderwolves cavalry for Space Wolves? Colour me sceptical...

As for the chariot thing; You don't need three wolves for a chariot, it is an option. At +5 points for a single WS&S3 attack, not a lot of people take it, it is mostly one of those instances where the writers of armybooks are throwing a bone to players and collectors with legacy models.

* YMMV on whether Thunderwolf cavalry is silly to start with, buy hey...
    Last edited by Scalebug; 05-09-2011 at 14:09.

Can't say this would surprise me, boars got new sculpts after twenty years recently so wolves would make sense.
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only British.
    Actual (alleged) girl. Alpha Female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jes Goodwin
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.

Commander

yeah I really cant see them being used for thunderwolves, I mean look at the size of the only current thunderwolf fig and compare it to a plastic wolf. its about twice the size.

I'm guessing dire wolf/chaos hound style kit with the same mini's used for the goblin stuff

also 100posts!
    they're dalek bumps

Eddies Blue Ogres
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316474

Happyland, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Chaos View Post
    sounds cool though, this may indicate new wolf riders and wolf chariot in the foreseeable future
    The current wolf chariot model is, like, 15 years old. What's the rush? :

Seriously, I'm terribly happy to read this news.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by drear View Post
    i cant see a plastic box of wolves coming out in their own.
    Releasing riders in separate boxes from their mounts sounds like the logical next step to GW's accountants.

This fits very well with the rumours about new wolve riders from right before the new O&G book. It was said that wolve riders (and the respective special character) would be redone, but at a later point in time, possible within a years time.

Yeah this rumour has been around for a while. It makes a lot of sense though, these wolvies are one of the oldest models in the current GW range.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0604854 View Post
    the future is another question

Some hobgoblin riders from FW sound good The old wolves really do show their age now I think.

Although I would be sceptical of the wolves being used for both thunderwolves and goblins.

Some concept art for the hobgoblins I've seen somewhere had them riding a wolf 2 up, could this be the way they go?
    Stuff I'm working on:
    40k - Pre Badab Astral Claws - Hive Fleet Phobos - *New* Imperial Fists / Blood Angels Heresy Era
    Fantasy - One nation under Hashut

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Can't say this would surprise me, boars got new sculpts after twenty years recently so wolves would make sense.
    Hopefully the new wolves will turn out better than the boars though …

Yes, I absolutely had to whine.
    Last edited by Sgt John Keel; 05-09-2011 at 16:35.
    WHEN captaines couragious, whom death cold not daunt;
    Did march to the siege of the citty of Gaunt,
    They mustred their souldiers by two and by three,
    And the formost in battle was Mary Ambree.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Chaos View Post
    yeah I really cant see them being used for thunderwolves, I mean look at the size of the only current thunderwolf fig and compare it to a plastic wolf. its about twice the size.
    I'm pretty sure that wolf is supposed to be a particularly big and nasty one. That's why Wolfson McWolfy Wolf himself is riding it. It would be pretty neat to release a kit with optional saddles and legs on the sprue, seems awkward though. Would a chariot be like an add-on pack? Sounds expensive o.O

Chapter Master

Very cool, the wolves will maybe get also an SoM entry, as with the Cold One's.

I think if they make them somewhere between the size of the current wolves, and Canis Wolfborn's Thunderwolf then you could reasonably use the same models for both Fantasy and 40k.

I just hope they don't have squirrel tails.
    When the God-Emperor gives you lemons, shout "Blood for the Blood God!!"

Quote Originally Posted by All Cing Eye View Post
    I think if they make them somewhere between the size of the current wolves, and Canis Wolfborn's Thunderwolf then you could reasonably use the same models for both Fantasy and 40k.

I just hope they don't have squirrel tails.
    That would be way too big for fantasy. Thunderwolfs should get their own models, not piggyback on another release.

man... they need to do it pretty quickly.. i was fixing to place an order for 12 gamezone wolves!!! the models are much better, but it would hurt spending 30 for 2 vs. 30 for 10... the goblin wolves should have been redone at least 5 years ago.
    A shake of this and a sprinkle of that, then BAM!!!! It's my PLOG! (contains dark elf, dwarf, lizards and more)
    Dark Elf revamp in progress...

"There's a difference between finely hand-crafting warmachine parts and whacking a piece of magic with a hammer." -scammel

Chapter Master

The current wolves already are pretty big compared to a goblin. Increasing it by 50% or so run a very real risk of making the whole thing look ridicules (assuming that goblins on wolves doesn't already ) with a massive mount and a tiny rider. And similar it might look a bit tiny for a Space Marine. The size difference between goblins and marines are really too big to make a comfortably looking bridging mount.

Are they going to be packaged separately from the riders though? I could see a box done for say SoM and Fenrisian wolves, but then Riders kits as a sprue of wolves and a sprue of riders in one box, sold together.

Who knows, maybe they will do this with horses as well, say for Brettonia and Empire?
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast