Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42

Thread: 1500pt Converted Marine Tournie Force

Re: 1500pt Converted Marine Tournie Force

from start to finish this army looks incredible indeed my friend the attention to detail on each model is astounding, how did you do the flames on the dread? keep up the good work

............I don't know where to start, I just went through your log. I became a little upset that I have not seen this log sooner. Everything in here is nothing short of spectacular, this is now one of my favorite logs. It's a true inspiration, I currently have terminator that I'm converting to make each one unique, but it's proving more difficult. I'm interested in trying your methods, if your ok with that. I'm also new to green stuff and was wondering if you had any pointers.

Now I must say I'm a loyalist 100% and those chaos terminators are so tempting, I may actually by chaos....your talent is amazing. Did you sculpt everything on them or is some of it molded. Thanks again for posting progress it's really inspiring to say the least

Cheers, sincerely Gearhart
    FOR THE GLORY OF DORN, AND THE GLORY OF TERRA!
    GEARHART
    Imperial fists apocalypse log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312080
    facebook if interested:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000074234592
    photobucket http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k520/GEARHART21/

Thanks for looking Sartarious! I appreciate it! I'm not sure you'll like the answer about the dreads destroyed arm much:

I just kind of sculpted the flames by eye. With things like this always get reference material, in this case I got some stock images of flames as well as references for sculpted examples of flames i liked the style of.

Once I'd got a feel for this and having hacked a hole int he side of a missile launcher I rolled a cornet shape from a large lump of GreenStuff and shoved it in the hole. Once it had 10 minutes or so to get slightly more pliable I used used a sculpting tool rather than a clay shaper to make 'firey' groves in it. Unlike with something like hair I started sculpting this from the top. I'm sure there are unpainted pictures of this weapon somewhere around this log.

Thanks a lot Gearheart! My mistake was the first squad I converted for this army was a tactical squad - that kind of set the bar really and it was just uphill/downhill (depending on point of view) from there. There are a few tips with GreenStuff just above but my biggest recommendation has to be not to get intimidated and to start small. At the beginning of this project log I was a lot worse at both sculpting and painting.

Here's probably my top 3:
    Always make sure anything that you will use to touch the GreenStuff is wet. Some recommend you use oil but I prefer water, it leaves no residue and most importantly in my opinion is it does stay slippery like oil, which will make you wait for it to cure to apply any more, with water its workable for just about as long as you want to be working the GreenStuff.

Tools. I have a set of metal sculpting tools which are very handy but the one I use the most is, I believe, the same as the one GW do and is very flexible. Also get a couple of different clay shapers which are much better for burnishing surfaces and doing smooth shapes. They come in different degrees of firmness and I have a variety of brush shaped ones from soft to hard a chisel tipped one which is great. And always keep your tools clean a dirty or damaged tool won't leave a smooth surface.

And lastly, these are the people that actually make GreenStuff Sylmasta, it's much cheaper than messing about with the tiny bits GW sell. I normally buy it in stick form, that way the blue and yellow aren't touching so there is no wastage. For about 10 that's a 4 inch by 3/4 inch stick of each part and that lasts me about a year.

Oh you should, messing about with the possibilities of chaos has been fun and I'm looking forward to getting my teeth in properly. These are really my test bed minis to figure out how to do them all and they all need a lot of detail work still to do. Everything is sculpted on them, I rarely mould anything. They are all a combination of all the different plastic terminator kits really. The legs are cut in the shin and filled with 1mm sheet plasticard and another layer is added on the soles of the shoes to increase the height. There is a spacer at the hip and thighs and legs all bulked up in width a lot, the shins shave all been made much bigger. The torso has the arm attachments cut off and about 2mm of plasticard fitted and cut to shape both sides. I recreate the arm attachments and sculpt a new chest plate to the width of the body and that has seemed to really bulk them up a lot so far.

Wow, rambled on a bit there sorry. I have the new terminator ready for paint having done a bit of GreenStuff touchup so with any luck I;ll get cracking on that tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks,
    Dxicky
    My Marine Project now finally with 1750pts completed... and I'm going to put this force to bed for the time being.
    My next project Khornate Gorewing - a converted all terminator Khornate warband!
    Other things I have messed about with a little are Adeptus Mechanicus and a foray in to WFB with Night Goblins that are a lot harder than you'd think for an obsessive compulsive converter!
    Lastly, my Photobucket Gallery

thanks mate! im glad you rambled, gave me great information. after im done with my imperial fist i certainly will have to give chaos a try but only a small army haha, i already have far too many space marines xD and ill be waiting for your terminator
    i wish i was able to convert mine the way you do but honestly making 85 terminators unique is a lot more difficult. xD WELL IF I SURVIVE THIS ENDEVOR, i shall be here for each update haha thanks again for all the information
    FOR THE GLORY OF DORN, AND THE GLORY OF TERRA!
    GEARHART
    Imperial fists apocalypse log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312080
    facebook if interested:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000074234592
    photobucket http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k520/GEARHART21/

Hello one and all.

Well, I've been a bit lax in updating this log but work combined with needing to get things finished for the Carnage tournament meant i had to prioritse!

The resurrected Carnage tournament was this last weekend. It's a really laid back tournie and is always a hoot and I had some great games against some great guys (I even won one of them which is an achievement for me!)

I actually got a full 1750 points completed for the tournie but I wasn't even shortlisted for best army, which was a little disappointing, but then these marines have won a Carnage best army award before.

Firstly here are some quick pics I took on the day itself:

And now here are some close ups of new (and finally finished) additions.

The additional guy needed without an assault cannon finally got done shown with his brothers. Also the sergeant has got a back banner that I have meant to do for years! A large image can be found here

And individual pics:

And much as I have had a devastator squad painted for ages Carnage also made me finally finish of the conversion of their sergeant. Here's the full squad:

And a close up of the sergeant:

Personally I like how the stone effect on the numerals on his left shoulder pad turned out.

Finally I really needed an objective marker so I painted up the conversion I had laying around at the same time as the additional terminator.

Now, if any of you have recently looked at the date on the first post in the log you'll appreciate that this has been one long slog for me!

This was quite an undertaking for someone like me that approaches projects in the way that I do! I still have another scout squad and their LS Storm to finish painting and I'd like to get a Contemptor at some point but I think I'm going to actually park this lot for a while now and start on a much smaller, but still over complicated, undertaking!

I'm making serious plans to get the World Eater army off the ground now. I showed some very WIP pics of 3 terminators earlier on and I'd like to get an army together before the next Carnage tournie lined up, but with an exceptionally low headcount I should be able to do it! I also have a FW Achilles and a Pormetheus conversion kit on it's way as the basis for a bit of a different take on a counts-as LR Crusader.

Thanks for looking and especially thank you to all of you who have followed this - both new and old time veterans of this thread (you know who you are!) - youyr support and encouragement has been so important to getting this done! I'm sure I will post a couple of pics of the Khornate terminators here to ease the transition from one log to another - I am currently working on something that should be a pretty cool Logan Grimnar counts-as - he'll have dog legs with hooves and mega sized terminator armour!

Cheers,
    Dicky
    My Marine Project now finally with 1750pts completed... and I'm going to put this force to bed for the time being.
    My next project Khornate Gorewing - a converted all terminator Khornate warband!
    Other things I have messed about with a little are Adeptus Mechanicus and a foray in to WFB with Night Goblins that are a lot harder than you'd think for an obsessive compulsive converter!

Congrats on getting everything done. Took a long time but it was certainly worth the effort.

Give us a link when you start up the new log.

Yea love these topic it inspires me to to the same on my grey knight

Thanks for the comments, glad to have finally or to a point where I can put this force to bed for a while guilt free!

All I can say blekeboy is to keep on cracking away at it and you'll improve in time only if you try new things. Good luck with you Grey Knights and if you start small you'll steadily get more confidence!

Just to let you all know I'll now regularly be working ina different log as I get started on a Khornate all terminator force that I'm affectionately referring to as a Gorewing. You can find it here and its be great if some of you, my long time followers, can pop your heads in to say hi!

Happy modelling and gaming one and all, cheers
    Dicky

Hello there one and all!

Total necromancy on this but it’s my thread so I can do what I want!

I’ve been going through sorting my studio space in preparation for a move and found this old army all boxed up, what a blast from the past!

Much since then these are now the baby brother marines, my painting has developed a lot since these guys were finished and they’re just taking up space by this point.

So would anyone like to buy this very tiny slice of Warseer history? Make me an offer!

They’ll all get shipped in custom foam trays that they’ve been stored in all the while. If anyone’s interested I can review what’s there and post a full list of it all.

And I really should get back to posting my current stuff on Warseer again!

Cheers, Dicky

Rich 123,

Start a thread is the Trading Forum for Sale Ads https://www.warseer.com/forums/forum...3-For-Sale-Ads that is the best place to sell items.

Sincerely,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Necromunda figures - Selling Painted Elysian Army, and other bits for 40K and terrain

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42