Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Engel's Eldar - Primary Color Army No.3

Re: Engel's Eldar - Primary Color Army No.3

Whoa...definitely a step up in pic quality there Inquisitor Lovely paint job on both these classic minis.

More nice work Inquisitor Engel.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Metal Bretonnians, Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Swooping Hawk wings in metal are maybe the most annoying thing I've ever had to paint...

But they're done!

I remember moaning about plastic being inferior but the latest plastics are just leagues above any of the metals for detail retention. Some of the joints on these guys are just... blobs.

For those wondering, the blue is:

1. Grey Seer Base
    2. Temple Guard Blue Airbrush
    3. Contrast Aethermatic Blue 50/50 with Contrast Medium all over
    4. Pin-"washed" with Terradon Turquoise 10/90 with Contrast Medium at the joints
    5. Highlight Baharoth Blue (naturally) to taste.

The white was Grey Seer with Apothecary White and edge highlights of White Scar for the Exarch, but a simple dry brush of Praxeti White for most of them.

The Green on the wings was Corax White with Warp Lightning, Biel-Tan Green wash, Nuln Oil Wash, and that's it.

Weapons are Grey Seer with Black Templar and selective Adminstratum Grey highlights.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 04-11-2019 at 22:01.

Very nice.

I still cling to my metal models as they tend to stay upright even when the table is bumped or worse there is a cat attack.

Cheers,

CB
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Metal Bretonnians, Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Lovely job. I like the freehand symbols on the helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    Lovely job. I like the freehand symbols on the helmets.
    Ha! I wish I was that good. Those are from the now sadly OOP Forge World Eldar transfer sheet.

In other news... Broke out the Contrast paints again to knock out some quarantine Dire Avengers. Trying to dive in as much as I can but... I'm still working, just working from home. I know I'm lucky and many others aren't working right now, but man... I could do with a staycation!

I still do not understand what they were trying to accomplish with the plastic Guardian waist/crotch. Every single model it's just like a bizarre smudge of plastic. He'll be getting a tabard over it at least.

Yeah I think the Dire Avengers are in need of updating. I got a box of them a couple of years ago and the quality was terrible so the molds can't have aged well.

Seems to have taken your paint job well sir.

Keep at it Inquisitor Engel.

Cheers,

CB

Well, I had the metal parts hanging around and some spare time so... Classic Dire Avenger time! 3rd Edition Dire Avengers (2nd Edition/RT Exarch!) meet Contrast paints and quarantine!

The blue is pretty basic:

1. Corax White spray
    2. Talassar Blue
    3. Drakenhoff Nightshade
    4. A couple of the lines between the armour panels got a quick fine-line wash of Nuln Oil

White helms were just Corax White spray with edge highlights of Corax White and some joint line washes of Nuln Oil with Ulthuan Grey touch ups.

Reds were also very basic:

1. Corax White Spray
    2. Fleshtearers Red
    3. Edge highlight with Evil Sunz Scarlet
    4. Wash with Agrax Earthshade

That's... pretty much it. All the golds are either Snakebike Leather or Aggaros Dunes over Ironbreaker. Gems were done pretty standard. Catapaults were just Black Templar over Corax White with an edge highlight of Administratum Grey on the very edges of the "hips" of the gun.

I did notice that three of them have red eye lenses but... eh. Seal with Munitorium Varnish. I've found my normal Krylon Matte varnish does weird stuff to the Contrast paints.

Pretty pleased for maybe 6 hours total work for the four basic dudes. The Exarch was one of my first Contrast experiments. Really pleased the recipes were so consistent.

Very well done Inquisitor Engel.

Cheers,

CB

Cheers, CB.

Quick COVID-19 Quarantine, mostly-Contrast, Saim-Hann Spirit Seer

1. Grey Seer spray undercoat.
    2. Black Templar Robes with selective edge highlights of Astronomicon Grey and lowlight of Abaddon Black.
    3. Blood Angels Red, 50/50 Nuln Oil/water mix, with Evil Sunz Scarlet Highlights
    4. Runes/armour is Wraithbone with Aggaros Dunes on top.
    5. Gems all done standard method with gloss vanish (same for the face-plate).

Commander

Amazing work, the scheme works really well for him, complimenting him well, the runes really add that extra level of realism.

Two weeks, four Warlocks! I'm actually very pleased with these!

You'll notice the ones on the left and right are both larger and unique! More on them in a sec... I had an interesting time doing these relatively quickly. With my older red cloth, it was a red base, shade, shade, and then glazes. This time I just went Wraithbone > Contrast Blood Angels Red > Agrax Earthshade > Highlight with Wild Rider Red > Carroburg Crimson > 50/50 Nuln Oil/Water to bring it down a tad. They match the older ones nicely while still popping.

I may or may not have gone a little overboard with the decals on this guy, but I had fun with him!

Now, those weird guys... They look different because they're VERY rare casts of ex-GW sculptor Shane Hoyle. They apparently let him take his WIPs with him when he left, and a few casts have made their way out there here and there over the years. As far as I can tell, these were amongst the last Eldar models designed without CAD. They look a lot more modern in comparison to the quite aged models from GW. It has its flaws though, the hair and fur is a bit lazily sculpted and the scale is off, it's much bigger than other Eldar models. Still, it was a fun model to paint and gives it some variety to the unit.

To be honest, with their poses, I didn't notice the size difference of these guys.

Lovely work on the Warlocks, I think the antlered one is my favourite Warlock mini.

Nice work Engel,

I have never seen those two Warlock sculpts either.

Cheers,

CB

Looking great, very individual minis
    / SDKFZ

Depending on how you count, this model has taken me either 7 years (almost to the day!) or a week and a half, but I've finished the Wraithseer!

I ended up disassembling things quite a bit in the painting process, largely to prime and airbrush separately.

I used the same Witchblade method on a much larger blade than normal for the spear, which I'm quite happy with. I chose to use rune decals on the arm shield rather than fill in the sculpted ones, as their detail was so damned fine that after a base coat and two airbrush laters made them very very soft, and I didn't fancy my chances of painting and then highlighting the edges. I quite enjoy the final result.

I chose to keep its paint layout the same as the Spirit Seer I painted a few weeks ago. Really pleased. I think the next Eldar to get done are probably going to be another wraith units or two. Closing in on just having the tanks to do now... Almost.

Cracking job and it fits in well with the other seers.

Very nice Engel.

Cheers,

CB

Welp, other than two weapon platform crew, I'm never painting another Guardian again. These models show their age. There's just... not detail around the thighs and crotch. Every seam is soft and iffy. Glad to be done with this cannon-fodder.

20 Storm Guardians finished. 2 weeks. Ugh.

I did quite like this guy's face though!

Mostly Contrast to speed things up. I'm overall pretty pleased with how well they match my hand-shaded and highlighted Guardians, even if the highlights are "softer" you can't really tell in aggregate, though a couple more maroon-tinted experiments are spread in there too. White undercoat > Blood Angels Red > Carroburg Crimson > 50/50 Water Nuln Oil mix.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast