Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: [WHQst] Forgotten dungeons of old.. (large compilation images)

Librarian

Re: [WHQst] Forgotten dungeons of old.. (large compilation images)

A beautiful model! Good job! I want a deeper bitzbin :'(

Chaplain

Looking forward to seeing that bad boy painted up!

If I had my time again, I may also have gone for circular bases, but I do need to be able to share across, and of course there is that mental distinction between sci-fi and fantasy...

That plastic barbarian is brilliant! I'm trying to work out what model to use as a pitfighter, and you and maniex are really pushing me toward doing a pick-and-mix plastic guy, put together from ebay...
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: was one of the best games ever made and they killed it, those bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

Well, looks like the Barbarian gets a vote to stay in one piece

and of course there is that mental distinction between sci-fi and fantasy...
    Y'know, that really does hit the nail on the head. It's the mental separation of sci-fi vs fantasy when using round bases. It's taken me months to finally decide to go this route; because utimately I was used to 40k minis using round bases.

Tinkering and organising my hobby space this weekend, aim to post some goodies this coming week.

Cheers for the feedback all!
    [Eastern Empire] [The Scythes][Warhammer Quest]
    Tau, Marines and Warhammer Quest Adventures.

Librarian

I guess i never had that mental separation. I just use what i think looks the best and works the best

Same here, I just think circular looks neater somehow - but obviously square bases is better for ranking up.

Anyway, lovely models so for - can't wait to see what you come up with next.

What I like most about your stuff is the fact that you took the time to give them lots of equipment to carry around. Makes so much more sense that way and adds tons of character. Good job so far... no scrap that. GREAT job so far.

Keep up!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

@S-A-T-S: Is there a mental distinction between 40K and fantasy? Back in the day, the Slaan (and Zoats!) lived in both universes, the Elves may have come from the Eldar, Halflings (and maybe Orks) were implied to come from outer space, and Amazons had power weapons and bolt pistols :chrome:

@Shas'El Tael: The round bases are a good idea for WHQ really - they probably reflect the 'small scale boardgame' feel better than the square ranking bases. I will, sadly, be sticking to square bases so that I can cross systems.

I've always loved the Heroquest 'not Conan' figure, your paint job on him is an inspiration. I really like the care and attention you have given to the other human civvies/fighters. The henchman with the axe slung over his shoulder is a really effective conversion in particular. The kitbashed Gnoblars/Goblins have that ideal 'grimdark' look too.

Brilliant stuff! Both conversions and paintjobs. Looking forward to see more :-)

Thanks guys, I was apprehensive about the Barbarians 'calm' stride. Glad it is going over well. I look to have him complete this weekend after a hectic week.

In other news.. my Mantic orcs arrived. I think my cross over idea has merit, an initial dry fit really works well and now for weapon swaps. Hands are a little smaller than I had hoped but that can be altered somewhat. For certain, they look like direct cousins of the goblins in aesthetics, completely doing away with comical proportions of GW Orcs.

For those curious here is a recap on my idea :

As you know having a range of goblins that lacked the gigantism of current GW offerings was a big issue (cough). I went so far as to use 40k Grot heads (same sculptor as fantasy ones, but oddly.. smaller) on my Goblins and then Night Goblin arms to make them even more slender. It worked quite well:

Next was Orcs, and again.. whacky features. I dug about to no avial until I hit upon using Gorka Morka boyz with modified fantasy Goblin heads (same sculptor did GW Goblins and Orcs). Building eight of them; It worked out quite well too.

So I had something to the tune of Lesser Orcs when compared to a brutish 40k Ork for example:

However two problems. Limited arm/body options and all of the Gorka Morka orks were OOP. Then I saw Mantic Orcs.

Followed by this comparison (From a German website on Mantic's release of the Orc range) :

I wasn't a fan of their heads or equipment; but the slender frame and general menace that even the lowliest Night Goblin (new plastics) possessed was there. I just had to do something about those heads. [Light Bulb..tink!].. So in a hurried experiment, comparing sizes and then digitally putting something together I have realised.. I can have the best of both worlds. GW Dixon (the sculptor) character with Mantic menace. Just add weapons of choice :

So the digital idea looks alright, the physical comparison in my hand sizes up nicely.. time to finish my conversions and post photos!

Double post.. sorry, blame image limits

So I received a couple of PMs about the retainers from the Bretonnian Knight I scrapped earlier. Well, for those not familiar with my ATT thread, I actually ressurected the retainers to serve a new more current range Knight. I guess you could say the project for a plastic Bretonnian was.. reig-knighted.. (dodges rotten vegetables).

I went with woodland themes, as he uses a Unicorn crest. Question though, embossed shield or Unicorn shield? I'm still 50/50 either way argh!? Perhaps paint the unicorn in bone whites?

So the retainers!? Ok ok... one has been remodelled (currently painted) to this :

The Crossbowman (I'm an old school player, I think it's heresy the change in rules)

And a close up on the Squire from my header graphic :

Working on the bow/arrow wood and leathers of the satchels still.

Alongside my goblins, High Elf hero and more recent pieces, I have completed a swathe of figures for quest recently. However I am awaiting more round bases before I do 'completed' final photos The suspense? Is unlikely to be notable :P

Cheers all, hope those unfamiliar with my previous work get some ideas modelling this week!
    Tael.

Your new Bretonnian Knight is awesome. Please tell me it's not a conversion so I can buy one for myself? Also, I prefer the embossed shield at the moment. There's something just not... there in the unicorn shield. Maybe if the unicorn was painted differently from the trim? I think it's just too silver for me.
    Guild Ball: was one of the best games ever made and they killed it, those bastards.

All my WHQ models are on round bases. I don't play Warhammer much (I have Chaos Dwarves and Ogres that go mostly unused) but love WHQ unreservedly, so whenever Im in GW, I generally buy a box of gribblies and build them on round bases for my games. All my goblins have Gnoblar heads (I prefer the aesthetic and had loads to spare from my Ogre army.)

Loving this thread by the way. WHQ doesn't get enough love.

Librarian

Guessing here.
    I think the body of the knight is a standard men at arms.
    right arm, is probably from some plastic knight kit.
    The cloak is from the white wolves sprue of the empire knights box.

On another note, the unicorn shield looks better, it looks less toyish.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback all, been mulling over that one for ages. I'm currently redoing the Knights sword arm, it hangs far too low on the model. I may even redo the feet. When I touch up the rework, I'll do the shield in a pale white tones (unicorn). Botjer is bang on for parts used.

@zerodemon
    I agree on simply picking up a mob of bad guys and build for Quest. More round base goodness soon, waiting on my order for the goblins, needing 20mm.

In other news, like I mentioned earlier about the Orcs.. well, here is early test fitting :

As you can see there is some great energy with basic kit and swaps. I'll rework the weapons and fitting better, but otherwise I'm feeling pretty good that I have vicious, believable Orcs finally.

The green additions are adding some plate armor toecaps, giving them larger feet. In some case I will swap out with Wolf Rider goblin feet, which are bandaged similarly to the calves of these orcs. Finally use thos goblin parts!

Thoughts?
    - Tael.

Shame it's plastic, too hard/expensive for me to get the parts. It is a damned good model though, best Bretonnian Knight I have seen so far.

Orcs are looking pretty good! I like the one on the left, top photo. Looks like he is just walking along rather than in a battle, nice and relaxed. Not something you see very often in orcs. Looking forward to seeing them painted.

Librarian

Im thoroughly impressed, im a converter by heart, and i simply love your orcs. are the heads really just orc heads?

And the bretonnian knights head, is from a bretonnian plastic box?

I have some heavily converted savage orcs bodies who need good looking heads but im all out of heads

I wish sometimes i could just buy boxes full of bits, thatd be awesome.

S_A_T_S, you should hit up Bitz Barn and other bits shops. I was able to gather up parts for quite cheap prices. I'll post a WIP next major update.

Thanks on the Orcs too

Botjer - The Orc heads are actually Brian Nelson (GW Sculptor) Goblin Regiment heads. Lop off the nose and ears, you can then add details to make them look -exactly- like his larger Orc range pieces. The goblin regiment is about 3 to 4/5ths the size of a GW Orc head.. so more suits the more slender Mantic orcs.

Painting them will tie in the parts better.

I could try the 40K Grot/Gretchin heads, being smaller again. However I think they look less like the GW Orc heads.

Whilst I've been messing with all these Orc and Goblin parts.. I think I've come up with an Elite Goblin clan.. pics soon.

- T.

Librarian

Hrmm if i go down that road ill remember it.
    I like the nightgoblin spearmen minis they sell now, but i dislike nightgoblins :P
    Im doing undead at the moment.
    next will probably be orcs n goblins or skaven.

I like the nightgoblin spearmen minis they sell now, but i dislike nightgoblins :P
    ... or skaven.
    I love the Night GOblin models, frankly I think they're the best set out there for Warhammer. However the new Jes Goodwin Skaven? They are just brilliant. Hoping to finish off details on my mob of 12 this weekend.

Right, back to my design project!

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast