Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: [WHQst] Forgotten dungeons of old.. (large compilation images)

Librarian

Re: [WHQst] Forgotten dungeons of old.. (large compilation images)

Yeah the skaven looks awesome
    Ive written som prelim rules for them in my system, and a friend down in australia is going to help me game test them.

The new Lothern seaguard are beautiful toobad they are more or less one piece and thus harder to convert.

Got stuck into the Orcs this afternoon, chopping off feet.. adding goblin wolf rider feet. Complete makeover on the greenstuff faces and ears and put them altogether again. Pretty pleased with this test lot, what does the gallery think?

And of course.. a comparison :

Basically this is an Orc that looks like the larger cousin to a Night Goblin, just what I wanted. As I have been converting these, a myriad of shoulder swaps, weapon loadouts and other ideas have come to mind. Looking forward to my next order of Mantic orc

- Seb
    [Eastern Empire] [The Scythes][Warhammer Quest]
    Tau, Marines and Warhammer Quest Adventures.

Librarian

I love them!
    They look so much more alive than gw orcs

Thanks Botjer

Well after a couple hours solid painting :

"Dat's stunties for starta's - 'Umies next! Warrgh!"

I painted them in classic skin tones, the colours a little saturated in the image directly above, but remain largely close to reality. Tried something new with the armor and leathers. I based everything with Charadon Granite, then used that as a base mix for any brown or other colour I applied after. It worked a treat in keeping the scheme simple and unified. The metals were chainmail with Devlan wash.

Few more touches here and there, but largely they're done

..now for eight more!

- Seb.
    Last edited by Shas'El Tael; 12-02-2012 at 12:53.

Nice (if you could say that about orcs) and original orcs. I really like your conversions, and your skills at recycling bits (goblins heads and feet) are amazing. The painting is excellent as well, I like the saturated effect. But what do you mean by "saturated above" ?

Keep it up !
    My fantasy log : A lot of green against a feeble mind
    Models painted 2011= 45 / 2012 = 62 / 2013 = 67 / 2014 = 48 / 2015 = 22

Quote Originally Posted by Blutrache
    I'm pretty certain GW only meant Ao$ to make it easier for players to part with money rather than to make the game affordable to more.
    Quote Originally Posted by snottlebocket
    These finecast threads read like obituaries. They're just lists of models I'll never buy again.

Hi Azhagmorglum,

By saturated, I meant the image directly above was slightly richer in colour than the real thing. I'll edit my post to reflect that more clearly.

Cheers for the feedback overall

- Seb

The orcs are looking great. I was a little worried about the ears before, but now they are painted I think they must just have stood out a lot in green stuff against the plastic. I've been wondering how to paint my Mantic orcs, and seeing these, I'm afraid I might have to steal...

Also, love the composition of that last photo, it really looks like the adventurers have stumbled into the end of a fight that hasn't gone the dwarves way...
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: was one of the best games ever made and they killed it, those bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

Cheers S_A_T_S,

Yeah I was a little concerned about the ears, I had sculpted them as fine as I could without burning hours at the hobby desk. I don't mind converting evil minions but when a handful take up days of spare time, it's not a worthwhile project.

Talking about adventurers encountering things; I always wanted to have a Sir Ragnar miniature. An NPC heroes in Heroquest had to rescue as part of the original quest book. Growing up in a time when 3 Stage miniature heroes were fading away, I never really picked up a suitable NPC model for such a character.

Enter the captive on the Ogre Kingdoms Stonetusk(?). I spied him on a bits site and immediately picked him up. I knew without a doubt, there had to be a standing model similarly attired. Well.. there wasn't but there was a handgunner reasonably close.

..but I'm determined, so I did some greenstuff pushing,

He's getting there. Scraped details off the prisoner, I'm not that good at copying yet! As for the walking version I am yet to add the buckle and a couple other touches like the satchel strap. In the hand the comparison is good, seen here the WIP looks broader in the waist, but in reality the two are similar; the WIP's posture has the whole breastplate forward.

Yet to decide on the matching heads etc. So far I envisage him as the Missing Courier or Missing Noble our heroes encounter and rescue.

Updates soon

- Seb

That is smart AND awesome. He could indeed be the missing noble. I really like the idea. Good luck on finishing them.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Chaplain

What a fantastic log so far, I hope you keep up the good work (and regular updates!)

I may have to break out my Advanced Heroquest henchmen and steal some of your ideas...

I just want to single out for praise the way you've spent extra time on your NPCs. The town watch, in particular, looks incredible.

This is an area of WHQ that I think is chronically overlooked, what with most people just playing it as a dungeon bash, so seeing all your townsfolk and stuff makes me super happy and I'd love to hear more about the kind of quests your players get involved in

Thanks Daniel, Goroul and Nachie. Glad folks enjoy it and get ideas/inspired to continue their own collections too

I aim to have fully realised town squares for the heroes to interact with during campaigns. Nothing over the top, just fascias and folk about the centre of the table. Almost hollywood sets

Also various 2'x2' boards of terrain for encounters whilst travelling. Should be fun and a great way to explore different terrain on a budget!

@Nachie
    The Town Watch actually got a makeover last weekend, two levels of highlights and tones. They really look smart now. Whilst painting them I had more ideas on a new set of Town Watch for more variety (and a way to use up all the Bretonnian plastics I dislike).

Which leads me to the campaign.

Currently the lads I game with come and go, so we've set up and arrangement where they either pick up with a character I either "Boost" or they take up a named nPC (low case n on purpose) to join in the continuing adventures of a Bretonnian Knight Errant, lone heir to a fiefdom and in search of his father before several barons begin plays for our Knight's home castle in his missing father's absence.

Each player has a Purpose card, which is a test once per dungeon and a Rumour roll once per settlement (same chart). When they feel an event, defeated monster or item gels with their characters story (or I offer one as a GM directly); they play the card.

With a Purpose!
    Roll 2d6
    2-4 Stop wasting the everyone's time, we need to move on! Player forfeits treasure card, settlement day or indicated monster's treasure to another random member.
    5-8 A worthy clue! Retain the item/note; add +2 to your next Rumours roll in a settlement.
    9-10 Give me some light! Reroll on this chart, while gaining +2 next Rumours roll in a settlement, regardless of result.
    11-12 He was just here! You discover a significant clue, part of the puzzle or note on the whereabouts of what you seek. Gain 1/4 Rumour Tokens.

Basically this keeps everyone focussed and engaged through the game on their characters purpose and reasons for scouring dungeons of old. Once four rumour tokens are found, I draw up the Showdown dungeon and the party votes whether they'll help their friend in his/her endeavour. Each player chose one at the beginning.

So far we've got my Bretonnian and his father quest (1 token)
    The Barbarian and the Pelt of the Pack saga (basically missing his families baby blanket, no tokens)
    A Warrior Priest on a mission to find the missing recipe of Lefre'Blond, the most potent beer in the Empire. (He is also a drunkard with a natural 6 burp that stuns once per dungeon; no tokens)
    Adalhein and his quest for the jackpot treasure; complete mercenary this one (2 tokens).

A few lucky rolls yet could mean a quick quest chain or bad ones an Epic Odyssey! I'll post up my home made cards if folks are interested. Right now I'm charging forward to create themed dungeons and monsters for the Showdown dungeons of each hero.

Which ties nicely into the latest modelling :

Just finished all the 20mm round bases for the Night Goblins, I'm waiting on some basing materials before I finish, but for now.. they're done

AND

Finalised my Orc skin recipe Charadon base> Knarloc mix> pure Knarloc> Devlan/Black wash> Knarloc highlight> Camo green mix> Camo green fine edge highlight. Then Calthan brown for snout and mouth. Blood red eyes with a dot of orange to make them piercing.

A few other bits done also, assembled more Gnoblar troops, finished three mountain goblins and the noble prisoner is all greened up and needing assembly now.

best,
    Tael.
    Last edited by Shas'El Tael; 23-02-2012 at 07:05.

Just had to subscribe to this, I think its a fantastic plog!
    Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!

Thanks ASHC, just a quick reply and update.. noted the Orc skin image was not working, all fixed now

- Tael.

I'd love to see these rumour and purpose rules, they sound amazing, great for adding a bit more character to random pick up dungeons (when you're not using a GM).

We have used some of the maps that come with D&D for encounters in the past, as well as Dragon Quest (Dragon something anyway) and Hero Quest boards. They're pretty good. Also, one of the Deathblow magazines had suggested rules for actually roleplaying the settlements, using a dungeon deck of only corridors, t-junctions and corners, allowing the characters to visit/search for one location per section, and rolling a new event on each new piece. I've never tried it but it certainly sounds more interesting than the normal, and with scope to add in npcs and Mordheim/Terraclips buildings for colour.
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: was one of the best games ever made and they killed it, those bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

I haven't dropped by in a while, but those Orcs are lovely! I love how kitbashing and a bit of sculpting work has made them unique.

The captive is shaping up nicely too, but it's those Gnoblars and Mountain Goblins that I am really looking forward too.
    http://circusofpaint.wordpress.com

Participating in the Tale of Age of Sigmar 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LokkoRex View Post
    ...seems like everything Mister Feral do turns 24-carat hobby gold.

Hey SATS, Feral

Up late tonight cranking out some work for a client..ugh (slugs coffee).

Had a chat with one with one of the crew tonight and whilst we as a group understand the 'Purpose' theme, it doesn't quite roll off the tongue. We came up with a new name "Personal Quest".

I modified the cards we use tonight, so you can see how we play it (1 for each hero, Rumour token is the b&w square chit)

Feel free to critique, it works for our crew and as they say, whe you're closely involved you can miss something that doesn't translate well.

Following on from SATS comments, I'm actually working on tile sets (using 30mm) in both 2x2 format and 3x2 etc. Covering Amazon, Town alley ways, ice flows etc. to be printed on card (they would kill a home printer) Here's an early sample :

That's it for me gang, long day..

Excellent painting, I like the orc, from the conversion to the painting. How do you paint the calthan brown on the snout and lips? thin layer, straight from the pot, blending, glazing etc... ??? Tell us everything in detail. I'd like to add that sort of effect on my own orcs and goblins.
    Thanks in advance
    My fantasy log : A lot of green against a feeble mind
    Models painted 2011= 45 / 2012 = 62 / 2013 = 67 / 2014 = 48 / 2015 = 22

Quote Originally Posted by Blutrache
    I'm pretty certain GW only meant Ao$ to make it easier for players to part with money rather than to make the game affordable to more.
    Quote Originally Posted by snottlebocket
    These finecast threads read like obituaries. They're just lists of models I'll never buy again.

Librarian

Man you're stuff keeps impressing. I love your attention to detail and great new ideas, please keep it up as it inspires the rest of us in our own endeavors!

How do you paint the calthan brown on the snout and lips? thin layer, straight from the pot, blending, glazing etc... ??? Tell us everything in detail. I'd like to add that sort of effect on my own orcs and goblins.
    Thanks in advance
    Pretty much a slow wash, close to a glaze. I start thin at first and build up, rather than put on to much early. It's a quick finishing touch though.

The recipe I described is essentially straight up, you work through the colours to satisfaction.

Charadon base> Knarloc mix> pure Knarloc> Devlan/Black wash> Knarloc highlight> Camo green mix> Camo green fine edge highlight. Then Calthan brown for snout and mouth. Blood red eyes with a dot of orange to make them piercing.

Didn't get much of a chance to work on new models, but I did redress a couple of older figures with new techniques I have learned. Photos shortly. This evening I did however paint a test scheme Heroquest Orc.

Repainting an old figure, it's like watching a remastered version of your favourite Saturday Morning cartoon. These guys were my first Orc opponents and hold a special place in my gamer's heart.

On review I will do the skull buckle in bone, use a drier brown for the boots. Mostly keep them "cheerful" due to the uncomplicated nature of Heroquest. Save the grimdark for Warhammer Quest

More soon, also an update on my tile sections for critique.

- Seb.
    Last edited by Shas'El Tael; 27-02-2012 at 11:57.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast