Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Warbands project.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fantasy Warbands project: Latest update = dwarves with paint on them....

Hi, to try and combat my gamers ADD I am trying to let my creative juices flow a little and design and build some warbands for various fantasy races, mostly around miniatures I already own or have always wanted to own.

Therefore i've put together some compiled photos of what I have in mind below. However there are some gaps I need help filling and some miniatures that I don't really know what to do with, which is where I hope you guys can come up with some suggestions. I have a limited buget so i'm trying to limit myself to cheaper ranges where possible.

The warbands are split into three: Characters, Troops and Creatures.

On a longer term scale I will be modifying the mordheim rules to cope with all my warband creations.

The undead. I have 4 undead warbands in mind, only 2 of them I have put any thought to so far.

The Undertakers: This warband is made up of a mad scientist and those that will follow him, he has developed potions to raise the dead and is experimenting with creations of the flesh.
    Where I need help: Does anyone have any suggestions for a cool looking flesh golen (frankenstein's monster styley)

The necromantic undead: A warband raised by a powerfull necromancer, consisting of litches, wights, bone golems, skellies and bats, plus some snakemen who willingly server (sometimes it helps if you have some sentient/living members to a warband)
    I intend to convert 4+ of Privateer presses Cygnarian Risen to have spears and shields rather than the shambling pose as pictured. I would like to get some more of the Reaper snakemen, I hope they release more types of them .
    Where I need help: I don't need any for this warband but if you have any other mini suggestions or thoughts for the warband let me know.

The Vampyric Undead: So far I have 2 Vampyric warbands in mind, but beyond the fact that they will both be lead by vampyres, I don't have any ideas for models, any thoughts?

The Gnublins: There will be three distinct tribes of Gnublins, all choosing from the same base troops but different variations of armaments to show the terrain they are used to. Characters will be converted from Gnoblar and the troops will all be from Red box games. The creatures will be from where ever I like basically .
    One tribe will have slingers and mosquitos as thier unique units, another will have "gruelhounds" (the broodhound model from dark age games as pictured), the other i'm not sure about yet.
    Where I need help: any suggestions for the third tribe's unique creature?

Humans - there will be 4 distinct human sub factions. Those from the south and the north, the organised criminal element (Bandits) and the Church.

The Southlanders: Rich, powerfull and devious.
    Where I need help: I have no idea how to convert or what to buy for thier combat troops, I want plate mail armour but not sure which miniatuers will be suitable scaled for 30mm.... I'm also going to get the Kayazy Elimnators for thier assassins. I'm not sure but I think I want thier creature to be a Pheonix.

The Northlanders: Poor, but well trained, loyal and hardy. (Basically I stole both noth and south straight out of Game of Thrones, OK lol).
    Where I need help: I'm struggling with good character models that fit with the models I have already chosen, any ideas?

Well thats the start of them, I will post more ideas hopefully tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faction%u00252520minis.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	132802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faction%u00252520minis3.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	132803  
    Last edited by Maxxev; 27-05-2012 at 16:07.

Re: Fantasy Warbands project.

Really digging the selection of minis for each faction. You should take a look at the Heldorado line for characters, maybe some older rackham as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.oetk3r View Post
    Biggus Dickus

Here is the section of minis I have that I would like to use somewhere but i'm not sure how.

I would like to use the Mud devils (converted Squigs) as rank and file in some kind of warband, and I was sort of wanting to make an entire Gargoyle warband but I couldn't think of enough model ideas so far (just the two pictured below (Rackham Gargoyles and GW Furies painted grey)).

I still have beastmen and my favorite race; dwarves to do as well as evil Gnomes but I am yet to ahve any brainwaves on ways to do these. I may make the beastmen more faun and centaur then goat mutant style.
    Last edited by Maxxev; 19-02-2012 at 18:31. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxev View Post
    Heeeeey, where are those Squig/Horrors mashups from? They look awesome! Great work on the warbands by the way, truly an original project.

Cheers,
    BTB

Quote Originally Posted by BeatTheBeat View Post
    Heeeeey, where are those Squig/Horrors mashups from? They look awesome! Great work on the warbands by the way, truly an original project.

Cheers,
    BTB
    They are mine, original idea actually came from GW back when they did fun things like this, I think it was called the "Creature Feature" or something like that.
    They are exactly that though, just Squigs with the old metal horror arms and some green stuff.

Apparenty they are straight out of the pages of a comic, Wazzuts or something like that, I can't remember the details now, someone pointed it out when I first posted the conversions some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxev View Post
    Ah ah, those GW furies as gargoyles are mine! Pretty weird to spot them randomly elsewhere

Good job on all the warbands too, looks like you put a lot of work in all of them and it shows, so keep it up!
    Rest in Peace Tomb Kings. May you forever ride the desert of 8th edition!

Eight Edition for Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
    Ah ah, those GW furies as gargoyles are mine! Pretty weird to spot them randomly elsewhere

Good job on all the warbands too, looks like you put a lot of work in all of them and it shows, so keep it up!
    Lol, well it's a very cool idea that google found for me , you got a thread somewhere for the army I can view?

Just a quick paint in progress update on the Eshin black skaven.

Sure, you can see them a bit along the rest of my Vampire on Carpe Noctem forum; link

The first post have a pics or two with them, and on page 4 where I finally finished the unit a few years later :P
    Rest in Peace Tomb Kings. May you forever ride the desert of 8th edition!

Eight Edition for Life.

Thank you for the suggestion. There are a number of Heldorado figures I would like to have, including the out of print templar knight dude that I fail to remember the name off... however they are all out of my price range for the time being. My fiancee is out of employment so i'm paying all the bills (inc. Mortage). Therefore hobby money is not at the top of the list lol. I will keep my eye out though as there are some lovely sculpts in thier range.

Onto the ideas:
    on the humans, I have lots of minis in mind for the bandits, particularily using Croes cut throats from Privateer press for most of them (with weapon swaps) but I've not really compiled ideas as yet.

The last human faction is The church.
    Loads of minis on the market for religious types from Zealot games "Nemesis", to Warmachine's "menoth". I will probably be doing a number of conversions from GW's Flaggellants, but here are my mini thoughts so far:

The Elves:

Radiant Elves: These as the evil git Elves, The elves believe they are the supreme race, and all sub cultures of elves and other species are inferior. They created automations to do thier bidding and kept powerful magic pets to punish those that did not do as ordered. However the members of thier own race that they enslaved rebelled and before the rebellion could be put down the majority of the slave population escaped.
    Where I need help: I'd like to include more automations similar looking to the Rackham figures pictured below, but I didn't like the larger ones (nore will I be able to obtain them). any suggestions?

The Rebel Elves: These are basically wood elves....
    Where I need help: any thoughts for the rank and file for this warband? GW elves are all too small (bar the spell singers).

Then we have the rest:
    Fishmen:
    Where I need help: any thoughts for characters beyond converting the bog trogs?
    Last edited by Maxxev; 19-02-2012 at 18:20.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxev;6096788
    [B
    The Elves:[/B]

Radiant Elves: These as the evil git Elves, The elves believe they are the supreme race, and all sub cultures of elves and other species are inferior. They created automations to do thier bidding and kept powerful magic pets to punish those that did not do as ordered. However the members of thier own race that they enslaved rebelled and before the rebellion could be put down the majority of the slave population escaped.
    Where I need help: I'd like to include more automations similar looking to the Rackham figures pictured below, but I didn't like the larger ones (nore will I be able to obtain them). any suggestions?

Where's the very first elf from? Reaper?

Yep, it's a reaper grey maiden.

First point to make is that i'm aiming for 30mm, 32mm scale so I can use Privateer press models (as I have a load of them) and Reaper figures. Main reason being is I have collected a lot of figures over the years which I have never actually used.... The majority of human figures will come from GW, but be converted to scale up to 30mm (not hard seeing as the heads, feet and hands are already there!!)

Warband 1: Southlanders.
    The southlanders are very wealthy; they fight dirty and are just as willing to stab you in the back if it means they get there way rather than face you in honourable battle.

The warband to date:

The swordsmen & champion (the padded bits on thier left arms are where the shields will go once I have painted the models).

The mage (face needs work)
    [img]

The assasin (screwed up the last head so having another go...)

The marksmen: (swapped heads with swordsmen as I wanted 4 helmets the same for the swordsmen & champ)

The Pages (basically youngbloods):

This is a great idea for a log. I really like what you are doing here, the progress to date is great. A couple model suggestions; for a flesh golem like frankenstein's monster Heresy has the perfect model. For the fishmen characters, possibly Troll Forged's Fishmen?

Brilliant stuff so far - looking forward to more! I have a similar project ticking away
    The Ammobunker - A great forum for Modellers and Painters!
    Chris' Miniature Woes - my Necromunda/Post-Apoc/Zomb-Apoc/Fantasy blog. Check it out!

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Scorpion View Post
    Brilliant stuff so far - looking forward to more! I have a similar project ticking away
    Photos or it never happened :P lol

I have modelling ADD - I keep distracting myself! But I swear, it's quite similar! I've collected together various miniatures for a fantasy skirmish game I've had planned for a while now - the original plan was for a fairly serious fantasy theme (Game of Thrones/ASoIF) with "Northern" humans, "Southern" humans and barbarians. And then it spiralled from there. I now have various miniatures for a good 6 different warbands, plus some random stuff (a giant, etc.) - my latest addition to the plans are hobgoblins (using the recipe from here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...keover-edition - LotR Mordor Orcs plus Ogre Kingdoms Gnoblar heads) with this guy: http://www.reapercon.com/Miniatures/Bones/latest/77005 as their "heavy support"
    The Ammobunker - A great forum for Modellers and Painters!
    Chris' Miniature Woes - my Necromunda/Post-Apoc/Zomb-Apoc/Fantasy blog. Check it out!

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

Lol sounds familiar (both the ADD and the creating your own fantasy rules).

I followed a link in your sig and saved those Hobbos already, am now looking on eBay for the orcs... lol. Only problem is I already started on the goblinoids so may have to go back on some work now . I was already planning on removing the gun though anyway.... (part of my ADD I coulden't make up my mind between fantasy and steampunk... lol)

But I prefer those nurgle hobgoblins hands down.... back to the drawing board lol.

I also have a bunch of random stuff planned (including a giant :P)
    Here is some of it:
    Last edited by Maxxev; 10-04-2012 at 22:48.

That octopus is awesome!!! Where is it from?

Quote Originally Posted by GundamMecha View Post
    That octopus is awesome!!! Where is it from?
    http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gal...s/swamp-horror

Thanks! It's really interesting.

You've got so many great models here from so many sources, it's going to be brilliant to see them all painted up and modelled!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast