Thread: My painting guide to my skaven and in general

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My painting guide to my skaven and in general

I figured it was about time I write a proper painting guide and in this one, we are going to be painting a Skaven warpfire thrower. I'll be covering everything starting with the basics and hopefully I don't suck at explaining it. I hope you all enjoy it and if you have any questions, feel free to post. I'll be going over grey-scale washing as a technique but I have a twist on mine. Bear with me. This will be a bit long with a lot of pics.

First off is the most important part. Know thyself. If you are a slow painter then take your time. One paint at a time. If you are like me and suffer from massive adhd, I find it easier to get super caffeinated and crank up some music while texting. This keeps my brain busy so I can keep painting.

Second thing. Workstation. Here is what you need. Lighting. Extremely important as you can see, I have two lamps, one of each shade. You can never have enough light to see all the nooks and crannies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	323.7 KB 
ID:	136582

When I say a ratio of Water/Paint, this is how much paint I mean. Water is in drops.

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	136583

Most of your paints will need to look like this. A really thin soup. If you push it around, you should be able to see your pallet. This will go on super smooth, and you want the paint to pool into the cracks while staining the raised surfaces.

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	136584

These are the paints I'll be working with on this guide. I'll cover their names as we go along. Not shown, turquoise. I forgot to put it in the pic.

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	378.7 KB 
ID:	136585

These are the brushes I use. A 0 reaper Polinsky, a 40 reaper Polinsky, A GW wash and small drybrush. Now, on to the painting.

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	136586

Also! Important Notice! Be careful picking up your mini once you start washing it. Even when dry, washed paints rub off easily since they were mostly water.
    Last edited by Draconis; 29-03-2012 at 04:41.