Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry's Quest

Harry's Quest

For one reason and another, and in no small part due to some of the fantastic and inspirational project logs on this forum, I find myself increasingly drawn towards Warhammer Quest. Now whilst I am blown away by some of the wonderful 3D dungeons in other project logs I just don’t have the time to get into that sort of thing right now … but one day … you have my word on it. That will be the holy grail and the final stage of my quest.

Right now I am at the very beginning of my quest.

I have cracked open my copies of Warhammer Quest, Lair of the Orc, Lord and Catacombs of Terror, skim read the rules, soaked up the glorious contents of the boxes, formed a plan, and am ready to set out on my quest ….and so … to the miniatures.

I am very fortunate to have a large selection of miniatures to go at so I will not be painting the plastic that came in the boxes but choosing some of my favourite miniatures from my collection to represent each of the required Heroes and Monsters. Given my collection this may well include a few older miniatures.

Here is my plan:

1) Paint something for all the Monster cards form the Warhammer Quest box set
    2) Paint something for all the Monster cards from Lair of the Orc lord.
    3) Paint something for all the Monster cards from Catacombs of terror.
    4) Paint everything extra I need to complete all the monsters on the Level 1 table.
    5) Design, make and paint my 3D Warhammer Quest dungeon.

So this is what I have done and still need to do:

Stage 1:
    (2D6) 12 Bats
    (2D6) 12 Rats
    (2D6) 12 Spiders

6 Goblin Spearmen
    6 Goblin Archers(Done some ... got others to do).
    6 Orcs

6 Orc Archers
    (2D6) 12 Snotlings
    (2D6) 12 Skaven

(1D3) 3 Minotaurs

Stage 2:
    Gorgut
    Snakebooze (Orc shaman)
    Gubbinz (Goblin jester)
    Growler (Squig hound)
    Skullbasher (Huge Orc)
    3 Big ‘Uns
    6 Black Orcs
    3 Fanatics
    4 netters
    4 clubbers
    2 Squig hunters
    6 Cave squigs
    4 Wolf riders
    Bog Off the snotling

Stage 3:
    Wight King on throne
    Evil Necromancer
    Hunchback servant
    3 tomb Guards (with halberds)
    9 Skeletons with hand weap’
    6 Skeletons with spears
    9 skeletons with bows
    9 Zombies
    12 ghouls
    1 Carrion

Stage 4:
    +6 Orcs
    +6 Orcs (Bows)
    6 Savage Orcs & Shaman
    +6 Goblins (Spears)
    +6 Goblins (Bows)
    Goblin Shaman
    +2 Goblin Netters
    +1 Herder
    9 StormVermin
    8 Beastmen
    3 Centaurs
    3 Ogres
    12 Skeletons (Spears)
    +3 Skeletons (Bows)

9 Dark Elves (x-Bows)
    8 Black Guard
    9 Hobgoblins

Here is what I have got so far … done accidentally as part of other ongoing projects.

I did some of the Goblin spearmen:

Some wolf riders:

The Dread King:

and some Tomb Guards:

Some skeletons:

and some with spears:

Not much of a start.
    Last edited by Harry; 19-08-2012 at 12:29.
    Founding father of J.A.D.E.D. Jerks Against Directors Extraordinary Decisions.
    My Project Log "This week I have mostly been painting ...."
    My other log of Vintage stuff: "A Blast from the Past"
    You might also like: "'Ere be Giants"

Re: Harry's Quest

More stuff I have got done:

Last edited by Harry; 24-06-2012 at 07:15.

Even more stuff:

So I picked some of my favorite oldies and through some paint at them.

Last edited by Harry; 19-08-2012 at 12:26.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on getting a Quest log started. I am definitely going to check back on you to see how you progress. As for the dungeon itself, I am sure you will find plenty of inspiration here, and I am secretly working on something that might help you with inspiration as well, but that is another thing entirely. I need to get more done as well, but hey... time is always an issue.

Anyhoo, I also sent you a PM if you still want the Elf. Let me know!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Brother Sergeant

Well, that is a very good start to the thread with some wonderfully painted miniatures. The great thing about WHQ (and other games) is that it really is a hobby where you have a choice of where you want to start and your skill is certainly with the brush.

I have many miniatures as well and I think that my painting skill for miniatures is basic so I am a tad green with envy - in the nicest way possible.

I look forward to seeing future additions to this thread/blog.

Cheers!
    Eboli.

Great stuff! Love the skeletons with the earth etc
    Good idea doing a plog, I've had loads of help/inspiration from people on here.
    Andy

Lol, just seen you've got 9000 posts Harry. Don't really need me to tell you that doing a plog is good!

Can't beat WHQ. I've had my set unpainted for years, need to get round to that.

Where are the skeletons from? I don't recognise them at all.
    My Dark Eldar community blog.

My Hobbit SBG Battle Reports (Youtube)

Horribly good painting as always Harry. For your skelies you look to have gone with brown as your shading - have you thought about and/or tried a blacker shading at all? I only ask as I have a ton of undead to paint up and was thinking of doing the blacker shading similar to the skeletons in the undead army around WD 142. Brown shading seems more Tomb King undead, but now-a-days the majority of all skeletons are brown shaded. Ramble over.
    Member of J.A.D.E.D

Good to see you did decide to go for it! Can't wait to see your stuff get painted. Knowing you, at the speed you paint at, you'll have finished every monster up to level 10 pretty soon!

Are you going for the nostalgia route (using older models) or treating yourself to some of the new shiny stuff - ie cockatrice, etc.

(chants) Harry, Harry, Harry!!

Wondered when you'd have a go at this, can't wait to see what the hobby machine churns out.... I'll be watching!

Must be the season as I've just started something very big that I've had on the back burners for a while, hopefully pics and a plog will follow some time next month.

All the best of luck in your quest (drinks potion of excitement +1)

Nice to see you down here in the dungeons, Harry. Love 'This Week...' plog, bit cheaty to use stuff you've already painted tho - no themed bases? Joking, of course, it all looks great, and part of the charm of Quest is that old school feel which you seem to do so well. Looking forward to seeing just which ancient things you pull out for each item on that list...
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: Marital Matches & Terrain Tales
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

Wowsers. What a fantastic reception ...I have not even painted anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eboli View Post
    Well, that is a very good start to the thread with some wonderfully painted miniatures. The great thing about WHQ (and other games) is that it really is a hobby where you have a choice of where you want to start and your skill is certainly with the brush.
    Thats is very kind having seen your stuff ... I am still learning. Actually my first love is terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
    Lol, just seen you've got 9000 posts Harry. Don't really need me to tell you that doing a plog is good!
    I do have a plog over in the fantasy section. It has been a huge support in helping me get stuff painted. I am hoping this one will work the same for my Quest stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain84 View Post
    Can't beat WHQ. I've had my set unpainted for years, need to get round to that.

Where are the skeletons from? I don't recognise them at all.
    Me too.
    The ones with hand weapons are sculpted by Aly Morrison for Marauder Miniatures which came under the citadel umbrella for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfunit. View Post
    Horribly good painting as always Harry. For your skelies you look to have gone with brown as your shading - have you thought about and/or tried a blacker shading at all? I only ask as I have a ton of undead to paint up and was thinking of doing the blacker shading similar to the skeletons in the undead army around WD 142. Brown shading seems more Tomb King undead, but now-a-days the majority of all skeletons are brown shaded. Ramble over.
    I did my first skellies Black and then changed to brown. II found it so much less harsh. It looks a lot more natural to me. Not many true blacks in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    Good to see you did decide to go for it! Can't wait to see your stuff get painted. Knowing you, at the speed you paint at, you'll have finished every monster up to level 10 pretty soon!

Are you going for the nostalgia route (using older models) or treating yourself to some of the new shiny stuff - ie cockatrice, etc.
    Well as it happens I had a day off today and made a cracking start.

I have cleane up based and undercoated the Bats, the rats, the spiders were already half done but I made a start on there bases, the snotlings ... two different lots of snotlings as it happens, the squigs ... and the skeleton archers and I dug out some old friends for my heroes. I even got some painting done. I'll try and get some pictures done tommorow after work.

Quote Originally Posted by 75hastings69 View Post
    (chants) Harry, Harry, Harry!!

Wondered when you'd have a go at this, can't wait to see what the hobby machine churns out.... I'll be watching!

Must be the season as I've just started something very big that I've had on the back burners for a while, hopefully pics and a plog will follow some time next month.

All the best of luck in your quest (drinks potion of excitement +1)
    I had to give it a bash ....
    Nothin' special ... just more of the same old sh!te.
    Oh hell, what ridiculous project is this ... I'll look out for that plog starting.

Quote Originally Posted by S_A_T_S View Post
    Nice to see you down here in the dungeons, Harry. Love 'This Week...' plog, bit cheaty to use stuff you've already painted tho - no themed bases? Joking, of course, it all looks great, and part of the charm of Quest is that old school feel which you seem to do so well. Looking forward to seeing just which ancient things you pull out for each item on that list...
    Thanks, nice to be here. It always seems a very friendly place.

It is absolutely cheating.
    I am obviously going to use the minsi for both games when I can.
    It will work the other way around as well. For example whilst I am painting up 12 rats for quest I have just painted up the twenty I want for the unit for WFB.
    All these silly projects I keep coming up with are all just to help me get more stuff painted ... at least this stuff will give me in some fun games as a bonus.

I have a plan with the bases ... It is all tied in with my plans for the 'dungeon'. I won't say more now as my ideas are still evolving.

All manner of ancient things coming your way soon.
    Last edited by Harry; 05-04-2012 at 01:12.

Very excited to see you joining the new renaissance of WHQ Harry!
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Sweet, another log!

One day, when I find a hero/warhammer quest that's not insanely expensive, I'll buy it! Damn my youth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Great stuff as always, but shouldn't you give the metal skeletons shields? I like these old model logs, and I have to take my hat off for you Harry, since you have managed to paint the blocky toy 5th edition wolfs in a way that actually make them look fine.

That paint scheme for the Tomb Guards remind me of the excellent Barrow Wight Lotr minis: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...d=prod1500565a I recommend them for any Undead buff.

Oh, I didn't notice the first time I looked, but the Tomb Guardian appears to do some weighlifting.

Could you hurry up and start please?

the Welsh Rugby team will take care of itself

MAT WARD FACT # 1253 Mat Ward led the last stand at Whatnot

Quote Originally Posted by Burnthem View Post
    Teh Wastes is a required evil, if you shut it down we would all spill out into the 'main' forums *boo!* *hiss!* and cause havoc...

Chaplain

When I noticed you posting in the WHQ section, I knew it was only a mater of time before you started a project log. The lure of quest is potent indeed. Welcome aboard Harry, can't wait to see where you go with this.

How do you intend to create the dungeon? I may have an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

Harry, you have so much stuff assembled and finished already. <sigh>

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast