Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Plants, Cloud, Tael and Quests.... (Latching on to the WHQ revival)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Plants, Cloud, Tael and Quests.... (Latching on to the WHQ revival)

My apologies of the confusing topic title. It just seemed the most fitting (even if the most obscure).

Story time:
    My wife has a set of Warhammer Quest. I offered to paint it for her. That was a bit over a decade ago.... She told me not to hurry and take my time, but...yeah.
    Recently, when clearing out, I came across the half-painted Skaven. I decided to finish them off, and at the same time I had a look around the web for ideas. I had such fun painting those Skaven and got inspired by what I saw on the various forums and sites, I decided to continue on the rest of the set as well and see how far I would get (The Skaven were all I had finished so far). Looking at fantasy miniatures again also rekindled some buried thoughts about gaming Chivalric Quests or Chansons de Geste and good old fashioned Dungeoneering. Basically, nice story-driven skirmish in a resonant setting.
    Then I came across Shas'El Tael's WHQ stuff here and on Advanced Tau Tactica. And saw that he was doing what I was just thinking, but combining WHQ with story-skirmishing in a way I hadn't thought of.
    Inspiration was set loose, enthusiasm welled up and there I was... Bum-deep in another ill-defined project while leaving other projects behind, unfinished. Enthusiasm Deficit/New Project Disorder struck again!

Here's what I've done since that moment:

On my wife's set:

Finished the Skaven (One is missing from this picture, he was since finished, but not photographed).

Prepping the Orcs:

I'm missing two of the shields, so I'm modelling replacements at the moment.
    The miniatures from the old set will be built and painted fairly conservatively, with some minor conversions for interest.

At the same time I'm also doing a "mirror project" for myself. I'll be cherry-picking some things from WHQ and building my own, modernized version (see the Chaos Warrior below) to slot into the greater Warhammer/Chivalric/Heroic Quest And Dungeoneering Project. I'm also digging through the smattering of fantasy miniatures I'd collected over the years (mostly GW stuff, with a few interlopers) to see what I could adapt for this idea. Turns out I have a Bretonnian knight mounted and on foot, with a fair-sized retinue (as well as an Empire, Chaos and the Mordheim Freelancer Knight, but without retinues), some other random Bretonnian and Empire heroes, as well as a smattering of monsters,Orcs, Beastmen and other adversaries. But no kitchen sink...
    The various knights are already primered and on square bases. I'm still debating if I'll rip them off and put them on round ones or just leave them be.

The Chaos Warrior:

(His base will be replaced with a round one. Looking at others' projects I found I really like the way this looks. Plus it makes the models more useable for skirmishing.)

So, on we go! Into the dank subterranean tunnels!
    Games Workshop's cunning plans: Now with 50% more turnip!

[Modhail's Meanderings, a blog]

Re: Plants, Cloud, Tael and Quests.... (Latching on to the WHQ revival)

Yes - doing takes a lot more time and effort than thinking (sadly).

Good luck on your quest - I'm looking forward to more!

Aaaaaaagggghh! Raaaaaaaage!!!

:cries:
    This morning I primered those Orcs I showed in last post. So far so good...

This afternoon I sat down for a nice couple of hours of painting, or so I thought. After touching up the (black) basecoat I closed up my bottle of black acrylic....And failed catastrofically! Somehow, when giving the lid an extra press to make sure it sealed properly, the paintpot escaped my grasp and went flying, the lid open again!

That bottle was brand new and nearly full. There's only two or three drops left in it now... The rest went on my miniatures, my hands, my face, my clothes (soaked right through), my chair, the carpet and the wall nearly a yard away!!!

I just finished cleaning up what I still could (carpet and wall are permanently smeared, the paint dried before I could get it off, luckily it's in my mancave and not the living room)and my clothes are in the washer, I hope I can still save them from ruin....

I think I'm done painting for today...
    Last edited by Modhail; 15-04-2012 at 13:07. Reason: Frustrated rage is not conductive to accurate typing....

Gutted! Sounds like something I'd do!

An interesting start (shame about the paint'splosion!). Pretty cool to see an original set and a self-collected set being covered in one log. My set is all self built, having never owned WHQ in any form, but I've picked up a few of the original models to fill out my collection. Always good to see how other people modernise and what amazing alternative models they create (your chaos knight reminded me of brettonian knight I was shown last time I was able to play - basically a plastic warrior with old plastic bret helmet and some added alterations. Will try and get a picture up next time I see it.)

Keep up the good work, and let's hope the wife appreciates the job getting done (no matter how long it took to get started)!
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: Marital Matches & Terrain Tales
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

Thanks!
    The only consolation was that I only had primered mini's on the bench at the time. At least those couldn't get any blacker....

I'm not decided on building a full self-collected set of my own, just cherrypicking the cool bits (But I wouldn't be surprised if I did end up with a full set unintentionally). For that side of the project, I'm combining collecting stuff I like for/from WHQ with my notions of gaming Chivalrous Quests.
    That side of the project will be a lot slower to start though. Mainly because, having decided on round bases, I found I have neither the 20 and 30 mm bases I'd need, nor the (financial) means to order a stash of them at the moment.
    So, for the time being, I'm just sifting through my stash to see what mini's I could use in this project, and collecting/thinking up ideas.

Speaking of ideas, does anyone have a notion where/how I could get the parts to convert a Beast Glatisant (aka "Questing Beast"), preferably cheaply?
    Looking at it, I'd need a large feline, and a non-coiled anaconda or such (the hooves can be greenstuffed), but I'm not sure where I could get mini's for those...

Unfortunate news man! Ouch.. true, lucky the majority of figures were primer black!

Hoping the clothes came through ok!

Not many ideas on the Questing beast; I know GW has brought out a few really oddball monsters, as too Forgeworld. Have to say, those medieval folks had quite active imaginations
    [Eastern Empire] [The Scythes][Warhammer Quest]
    Tau, Marines and Warhammer Quest Adventures.

I apparently managed to get the clothes into the washer quick enough, no black stains left at all! (Ain't acrylics great?)

The miniatures have been salvaged as well. I got them under running water, and scrubbed them with an old toothbrush as soon as I had done what I could for clothes, wall and floor. (The floor still looks like an oil spill though. )
    I had some time to work on them yesterday, but the light was gone before I could take a picture (so I did that today).
    Skin and metals are (nearly) finished, I just need to add another highlight to the brass bits:

(Sorry about the fuzziness, the digital camera died on us. So I had to use my phone's camera. It's not quite housebroken yet...)

I've kept the skin fairly dark and "natural" in colour. To maintain the atmosphere of the Warhammer Quest style, I intend to go bright and old-school on the clothing. Expect reds, yellows, checkers and dags...

Your darker Orcs look fierce - and they should. I'll be checking back to see how these turn out....

Agree with Purplebeard, the orcs look great. Hazard you for a recipe? (Puppy eyes)

Thanks!

Didn't get to do too much on the Orcs this weekend (several birthday parties to attend... Diablo III open beta.... It's a hard life. ), but this is where they are at now:

The blue is just a basecoat, the yellow needs one more highlight to really "pop".

No puppy eyes needed Tael, glad to share with others, especially you!
    Your greenskin recipe is a rather large "influence" on it anyway...

The paints I used were:
    -Vallejo Olive Grey (888) as a basecoat.
    -Vallejo Luftwaffe Green (823) drybrush, followed by GW Baal Red Wash.
    -Drybrush again with Luftwaffe green, but more lightly than before.
    -Vallejo Russian Uniform WWII (824) drybrush.
    -GW Devlan Mud wash
    -Drybrush Russ. Uniform WWII again, more lightly than before.
    -Painted Highlights: 50/50 Russ. Uniform WWII/Vallejo Green Grey (886)
    -Highlight pure Green Grey
    -Highlight 50/50 Green Grey and Vallejo Intermediary Green (891)
    At this point I felt that the colour was too dark and brownish, so I washed with GW Thraka Green Wash and redid the last highlight.

For Goblins and Snotlings I intend to just "slide" up this colour scale: Omit the darkest colour and highlight up farther.
    So the Goblins would start with a Vallejo Luftwaffe Green basecoat and end with a pure Intermediary Green Highlight.
    Snotlings would start with the Russian Uniform WWIi as basecoat and and get a final highlight with, I'm thinking, a 50/50 mix of Intermediary Green and some other colour.
    I'm considering using a sandy colour for this second colour, as I don't think I have a lighter green than Intermediary....

Other news:
    I ordered some 20 and 30mm bases over the weekend, so that I can start rebasing some mini's I already have for my own Dungeoneering/Knightly/Warhammer Quest project.
    I've got, amongst others, some previous edition Bretonnians, the Chaos Warrior I showed earlier and some adversaries... Nothing with real direction or focus, I just gathered up what I had lying around already. I hope to eventually get some clearer storyline or intent behind it.
    The Diablo III open beta this weekend was well-timed. I've certainly got "dungeon" firmly on the brain right now!

Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it. Well, I've finally come around to Warhammer Quest again...

I spent the weekend clipping and prepping all the Warhammer Quest figures from the missus' set. That way, we can already get some games in and, when I have the chance to paint a group, there's no delay: just primer and go!
    Here's the mob from the starter set all together:

Anything not in this picture is either already painted or in the process of being painted. Except for the Goblins that is, they're hiding in the back like the sneaky gits they are:

No news as far as my own Dungeoneering/Knightly Quest is concerned, for the time being...

Looking good! Feels weird but also really satisfying to see 'brand new', unpainted, non-stripped or damaged WHQ models. Gives me the feeling that there is a re-release I don't know about!

Keep up the good work and post some more stuff soon! I ordered some new hero models last night as I'm supposed to be starting a new campaign in a couple of weeks, and you popping back up has made me think maybe I should make a little log of my own WHQ models. You are apparently that encouraging!
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: Marital Matches & Terrain Tales
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

Yeah, I know, it feels really odd to be working on "brand new, on sprue" models that have been OOP for over a decade. Embarrassing someway too, since I offered my girlfriend/wife to paint them when she bought the box, as an on-the-shelf, still in production game...
    I'm mostly glad though, because now, ten years later, I've got the experience to really do this set justice with my painting.

Then this should make you feel even weirder?

Still shrinkwrapped....

Yup, I've got a "virgin" WHQ set to play with... We've kept it safely in the cupboard for all these years.
    I can't help but smile everytime I open that big old box up. It really is a relic from GW's golden days.

Please do start that blog! I always like seeing what other people do with WHQ, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
    I'm glad to have encouraged you. The enthousiasm works both ways, so, thank you!

Great scott...its Back to the past, to play in the Future!

Shrink wrapped even? ..swoon. Yet to be punched out card stock? Aieee!

Stupid amount of figures, GW has released similar for the starter boxes in Fantasy and 40k, and this is a game that gets the collector buying virtually one of everything in their range hahaha. I think I can even smell the production print "new" from here in Oz.

Hehe, brilliant, isn't it? I certainly feel privileged to work on a pristine copy...

You raise a good point about the number of figures. The current edition of Warhammer contains 74 miniatures (of which 2 are two-man teams and one is mounted on a monster...), the previous edition contained 109 (plus some terrain!), so the amount of figures isn't impossible to provide for GW... (Oddly enough, 40K starter boxes only feature about half as much models, for the same price?)
    But on the other hand, unlike the WFB starter set, WHQ wouldn't be a mainstay for them (with the accompanying economy of volume such mass production brings with it...). There is a reasonable ongoing sales potential though, through the monster tables. But that would mean GW would have to commit to it to a near core game degree. Something that they simply won't do anymore, sadly.
    I'm very fearful that if WHQ ever gets the "big black box" treatment like Space Hulk and Dreadfleet, it will be crippled into a self contained game.

On the WHQ front:
    I came to the realisation that all I've painted in the last two months were Orks. What's first up on the WHQ painting line? ...more Orcs.
    To break up the long stretch of "production line painting" on greenskins I decided I needed a little intermezzo, to clean the palate as it were...
    A little single figure painting, giving one model my full attention and have fun with. And certainly something without a green skin!

So I prepped these two beauties:

They're Wolf (b) and Hayden from Hasslefree Miniatures. Lovely figures, beautiful sculpts, full of personality. Made by absolutely wonderful people to boot! Please give these people your money!

The bases are made by fitting a sheet of milliput green-grey to the bases. Once hard I scored the knotwork and seams for the floortiles with a sharp sculpting tool. The sheet was then popped from the base, so I could break and distress it.
    The great thing about milliput green-grey is that when you chip it or grind broken edges together, you get a texture very much like stone. After that I superglued the fragments back on to the base.
    Here are some shots that show the bases a bit more:

These will be for my own generic dungeoneering/questing project which mirrors/intertwines with the WHQ side of things.
    At the moment I'm still considering adding some hair to Wolf, he's awfully bald as he is... Maybe a single braided mohawk/ponytail over the top of his head.
    Miss Dwarf, I've already decided on. Instead of dyed orange, I'm going to try and paint her as a natural redhead, freckles and all. Should be a fun challenge...

Why prep these two both, when I said I wanted to paint a single figure? Well, somewhere while sorting out my most recent Hasslefree order, I started seeing them as a couple... It just didn't seem right to split them up.
    Sometimes when I work on miniatures narratives such as this spontaneously pop up. I found it is usually best to go with them...

Quote Originally Posted by Modhail View Post
    There is a reasonable ongoing sales potential though, through the monster tables. But that would mean GW would have to commit to it to a near core game degree. Something that they simply won't do anymore, sadly.
    That's the thing though... They already commit to it. It's SO easy for them to tie new army releases to Warhammer Quest.

New army released! Chaos Warriors!
    And for those people not interested in starting a Chaos Warriors army, here are rules for using those AAAAWESOME new Chaos Ogre and Dragon Ogre models in your Warhammer Quest game.

All they need to do is come up with some stats for them, release those in the White Dwarf, it will give Quest players a reason to buy a White Dwarf AND models for an army they are not planning on playing Warhammer Fantasy with. How is that not a win-win situation for GW?

It still baffles me.

But anyways, you are not interested in my ramblings on GW marketing strategy fails. Nice job on finding that pristine set. Not continue on your merry way painting them up!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

I completely agree with Daniel36 here, plus if they sell it as a stand alone game as well (like it is now - additional monsters/tables are optional extras) then you also have an intoduction method from more mainstream shops such as W H Smiths etc (obviously have loads of adverts inside saying how wonderful GW is, etc).

Bit of a no-brainer to me, anyway

Sad thing is, I agree as well...

What I was trying to articulate is the fact that GW these days will only commit to two types of releases: "Core Games"; high figure count games with ongoing support and releases, and "Black Boxes"; Limited edition one-offs, designed to be self contained, supposedly complete, with any chance or room of future expansions/additions carefully sanitized away (Space Hulk and Dreadfleet, so far).
    The latter essentially throwaway cashgrabs that require no thought after sales, to be cynical.
    (True, there's also the "Specialist Games", but I'm afraid we can all see that's just a "let it bleed out, hope it dies" form of "support"... No new releases, no attention.)

Within that frame, WHQ falls outside of both categories, by not having (in the eyes of GW, not mine!!!) potential to be a money-turning core game with ongoing releases and expansions, and at the same time being very open-ended and expansion friendly, thus exceeding the "Black Box" boundaries...
    So based on that frame of reference, I think GW, in their eyes, feel they must choose between either doing it right and committing full on (and thus likely angering the beancounters/shareholders) or turning WHQ into a nailed-shut limited edition one-off, crippling the game by doing so and disappointing a lot of fans/ruining the memory and legacy of an excellent game...
    Hence my reluctant pessimism. GW seems to be adamant against adding a third core game or going beyond "Black Box" boundaries.

I however, maintain the hope that GW comes to their senses and start op up their intermediary and skirmish lines of games again. And keep them properly supported in the long run. (Not holding my breath though, and sad about it...)
    In an ideal situation, for WHQ, they would follow the format of releasing a themed WHQ expansion set with every armybook, containing and/or expanding that race's rules, themed dungeon boards and an adventure. Oddly, buying a battalion box would give you all the miniatures you need for that adventure?
    Sigh, a man can dream....
    Last edited by Modhail; 17-09-2012 at 17:56.

Hehe, brilliant, isn't it? I certainly feel privileged to work on a pristine copy...

You raise a good point about the number of figures. The current edition of Warhammer contains 74 miniatures (of which 2 are two-man teams and one is mounted on a monster...), the previous edition contained 109 (plus some terrain!), so the amount of figures isn't impossible to provide for GW... (Oddly enough, 40K starter boxes only feature about half as much models, for the same price?)
    But on the other hand, unlike the WFB starter set, WHQ wouldn't be a mainstay for them (with the accompanying economy of volume such mass production brings with it...). There is a reasonable ongoing sales potential though, through the monster tables. But that would mean GW would have to commit to it to a near core game degree. Something that they simply won't do anymore, sadly.
    I'm very fearful that if WHQ ever gets the "big black box" treatment like Space Hulk and Dreadfleet, it will be crippled into a self contained game.

On the WHQ front:
    I came to the realisation that all I've painted in the last two months were Orks. What's first up on the WHQ painting line? ...more Orcs.
    To break up the long stretch of "production line painting" on greenskins I decided I needed a little intermezzo, to clean the palate as it were...
    A little single figure painting, giving one model my full attention and have fun with. And certainly something without a green skin!

So I prepped these two beauties:

They're Wolf (b) and Hayden from Hasslefree Miniatures. Lovely figures, beautiful sculpts, full of personality. Made by absolutely wonderful people to boot! Please give these people your money!

The bases are made by fitting a sheet of milliput green-grey to the bases. Once hard I scored the knotwork and seams for the floortiles with a sharp sculpting tool. The sheet was then popped from the base, so I could break and distress it.
    The great thing about milliput green-grey is that when you chip it or grind broken edges together, you get a texture very much like stone. After that I superglued the fragments back on to the base.
    Here are some shots that show the bases a bit more:

These will be for my own generic dungeoneering/questing project which mirrors/intertwines with the WHQ side of things.
    At the moment I'm still considering adding some hair to Wolf, he's awfully bald as he is... Maybe a single braided mohawk/ponytail over the top of his head.
    Miss Dwarf, I've already decided on. Instead of dyed orange, I'm going to try and paint her as a natural redhead, freckles and all. Should be a fun challenge...

Why prep these two both, when I said I wanted to paint a single figure? Well, somewhere while sorting out my most recent Hasslefree order, I started seeing them as a couple... It just didn't seem right to split them up.
    Sometimes when I work on miniatures narratives such as this spontaneously pop up. I found it is usually best to go with them...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast