Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Plants, Cloud, Tael and Quests.... (Latching on to the WHQ revival)

Re: Plants, Cloud, Tael and Quests.... (Latching on to the WHQ revival)

Love the models and the bases! Get Painting!

Very nice...

30mm? hah! I can actually see the difference in the comparison photo. All the 30mm bases I can buy appear to be slightly more shallow than a regular 25mm bases (on the marine for example). Curious. EIther way.. he is as is shown, huge. Hayden is bigger than expected too.

Nice hair work, took me a while to get my young knight's hair just so also.
    [Eastern Empire] [The Scythes][Warhammer Quest]
    Tau, Marines and Warhammer Quest Adventures.

Tsk, Andy_T, you can't hurry genius... or me.

Yup, the 30mm's are a smidge shallower than the 20 and 25mm rounds I have. (I believe the non-GW-40mm and 50mm rounds are as well.)
    I don't have any GW dwarfs to compare Hayden to (except the WHQ one, but I've heard he's small, even for a dwarf). She's as tall as Hasslefree's other Dwarves and Grymn, though.

Today's offering:

I see a red door and I want to....

The first pass of primer is drying as I type.
    Games Workshop's cunning plans: Now with 50% more turnip!

[Modhail's Meanderings, a blog]

Gasp..! No longer fresh styrene stock.. they're.. painted! (sheds a single tear for one less pristine condition box in the world..)

Dang it, now I'm off to play that track lest it haunt me all night.

Whoa there... Where's that chest piece from!? (Upper right)
    Last edited by Shas'El Tael; 10-09-2012 at 12:49.

Don't worry, I'll transform it into something equally wonderful: a lovingly painted complete and intact set of WHQ. Plus you get to see the transformation as it progresses.
    I did have a small moment of reverential pause myself before I started spraying though...

The chest is the plastic one from the Mordheim Accessory sprue (Which you can still get from GW. And places such as eBay, I assume...)

Librarian

fantastic stuff, and thanks very much for the comparison shots. Looks like I can't put it off any longer, will have to pick up some Hasslefree minis now =) Keep up the great progress!
    Old school Black Templar horde, ruined temple Blood Angels, and art scale Space Wolves!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...rough-the-Ages Low brow, high vibrancy, fantasy mash up
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...?343809-Quest!
    Dark Eldar, unabashadly based on Drizzit from my childhood http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...lms-Persussian

Awaiting mine; looking forward to painting some curves for once - bit over green or ruddy skinned biceps.

Quite sure you will do them justice my man; look forward to the first images.

I feel like a bit of a puritan reading this Hasslefree have some good minis and skilled sculptors, but their females are far too sexualized for me (so many wearing either nothing or very little, and in suggestive poses) and that puts me off purchasing their stuff, and my views on non-bearded female dwarves have been discussed before. Having said that, this is still a very good representation of classic female barbarians, and at least she is in a proper fighting pose and has something to keep her warm! Going to start a new WHQ at the weekend and one of the guys has got the Hasslefree Wolf for his barbarian. He and I are the only ones who paint our minis so looking forward to the game!

The bases you've made for them look fantastic and make mine feel plain, but then I find it hard enough sitting down to paint in the first place - going to all that trouble to do a base is too much. The Mordheim accessory sprue looks great. I'd be tempted to get it just to convert a cool generic adventurer for D&D, WHQ etc.
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: was one of the best games ever made and they killed it, those bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

True, there tends to be a lot of cheese in their cake...
    But on the other hands you have this and this one. (The modern ladies aren't quite as bad as the fantasy ones either).

And you have to admit, apart from your puritanical distaste of subject matter, Hasslefree mini's are impeccably sculpted!
    (But yes, certain figures I'd rather not use for family games...)

Have you checked out their sneak peek Facebook page? There are two great warrior models coming up - Female (top row) and Male. Very classic DnD. Anyhow, don't mean to hijack the blog with Hassle goodies; just a good time to point them out

- Seb

It's always a good time to point out Hasslefree goodies!

But that's not what I came here for...
    I started paint on the lovely couple. It's just the bases, though, from here on, they will be painted individually. I just wanted the bases to match, so I did these at the same time:

The bases are done like this:
    Basecoat Charadon Granite, drybrush Vallejo Stone Grey. Wash with Coat D'Arms strong wash, black. Drybrush with Vallejo Stone Grey again.
    Once the figures themselves are fully painted, the edge of the base will be painted black.

And while the wash on the base was drying, I made a start on some more bases (and even thought to take pictures...):

Making stone bases, Modhail style.*

What you need:
    -Bases
    -Lubricant (I use lip balm)
    -Milliput Green Grey
    -A ziplock bag or similar plastic surface
    -a hobby knife (I use the breakaway variant)

*: And now I've got that song in my head....

Here we start, the bases have already been "lubricated" and the milliput is mixed:

That ball of milliput isn't enough to do both bases, I usually just mix up some more as I go along. For slottabases, I'd advise neatly filling the slot with an elastic putty, like greenstuff. Don't use milliput for this, as it will bond to itself. Because I hadn't decided beforehand to do bases today, I hadn't filled the slots of these bases.

I then flatten a ball of milliput so that it fits (and slightly overlaps, by a mm or so) the base I want to cover.

In this picture you can see lots of fingerprints. Just smooth these out a bit. No worries if the disc is not completely smooth and flat, this will get sorted.

Take the ziplock bag:

(As you can see, this one held a miniature, and as a result has an uneven distressed surface. This is a good thing.)

Put the ziplock bag on a smooth, flat surface. Smush the base and milliput onto the ziplock bag:

(at this point I saw that not filling the slot caused a small "valley" in the surface of the milliput. I remedied this by pushing the milliput back onto the ziplock through the slot in the base. Filling the slots beforehand would have been lots easier...)

Carefully flip it over, check if the surface is alright. It can have some unevenness and blemishes. This makes the stone look more realistic. Peel off the ziplock.

Here is where it gets a little fiddly.
    From this point onward you have to be careful not to distort the surface of the milliput or leave fingerprints on the top.
    Trim the overhanging edges off:

Make sure to use a clean knife and use a gentle sawing motion. You can lubricate the knife to get clean, smooth edges. I didn't and merely wiped off any buildup of milliput between cuts. This gave me the slightly more ragged and natural edge you see.
    You can use the edge of the base as a guide for your knife: just slide the edge of the base along the knife, but keep the sawing motion.

This is what you end up with:

(The white ones are an experiment with milliput white-grey. I'm not sure I like it: It's a lot more sticky and mushy and doesn't play nice with the knife. We'll see how they act once they harden out.)

Leave to harden overnight. You could carve the edges of the tiles into the milliput while it is still soft, but I prefer to do this once hardened. (It gives cleaner edges, plus you can mark things out with a pencil....)

G'dammit, thats it! I think I'll be using your technique too. Some 40 odd miniatures later! Argh! :P

In aside - great tutorial. I trialled a base using Milliput white, terrible stuff. I need to use the yellow version you've chosen.

Are you redoing the whole set of square bears in the background too?

- Seb

Sorry to have caused you so much extra work. Beware though, I haven't quite figured out how to tackle Hamlet's base yet (Yes, I've got one too...). I may just have to fill his in around the tab under his feet.

I should be able to add the second part of the technique tomorrow. (Though basically it's just scratching and mangling, then glueing back on...)

True, I'm not thrilled about the milliput white either. The standard green-grey/yellowish stuff is definitely better for this.

Nope, the "square bears" () will stay that way. Essentially, everything from the original WHQ set will go on the square bases they were provided with. I'd like to keep them as "true" as possible.
    Anything I make for myself/the generic dungeon project will get round bases.

Here we go, Modhail basing part two:

First off: I trashed the milliput white bases, it doesn't play nice...More effort to get off the bases, doesn't scribe or chip as nicely as the regular green-grey/yellow stuff.

This is the largest of the bases, and the tools I used to scribe the milliput:

(Missing from this picture is an old toothbrush to scrub the dust and such from the lines)
    On this pic, I had already drawn on the design and did the first scribing pass with the knife.
    Once you have a starter line with the knife, go in with the dental tool and make it a nice furrow.
    You'll end up with something like this:

Then, by flexing the base a little, you'll be able to pop the milliput right off the base:

If you have a bit of trouble getting it off, you can carefully wedge a knife underneath.
    If the milliput layer breaks as you pry it off: no problem, you just created extra detail!

Break the milliput along the seams you scribed, grind these together a bit to make them a tiny bit wider and rougher. Chipping the edges is easy: just pry the very tip of the knife into the edge of the milliput. A chip should crack off naturally. If it doesn't separate immediately, apply some sideways pressure with the knife tip as/after you push it in. Gouge some chips from the surface as well if you want:

Once done, glue it all back onto the base*:

You won't get all the pieces exactly in the same position as before you pried the disc of. This is good, those tiny mismatches will reinforce the effect of being separate tiles.
    *: I actually cheat on this point: The milliput, when you squash it onto the base and trim the edges, will leave some residue on the rim of the bases. So I just keep one of each size of base aside to do that stage on and glue the final, dried and chipped product onto a fresh, clean base...

Mount the miniature:

(I didn't permanently glue this one yet because he blocks so much of the base with his cloak. I want to have access to the base when painting...)

If you smushed the milliput onto a base with a slot, there's one little extra step:
    Remove the milliput that got into the slot. Just cut and file until smooth.

And here is this one finished:

(Sorry about the fuzziness.)

I have something to confess.... I skinned a Dwarf today.

Luckily it was just with paint:

I'm rather pleased with how her skin and eyes turned out.

But then, I went ahead and did this:

Like I said earlier in this thread, I want to try and make her look like a natural redhead, instead of having her hair died orange.
    Yes, I know she now looks like she has leopard spots (The massive enlargment makes it even worse!). But that was necessary to make it actually look like freckles from normal viewing distance (and size). I had tried to make tiny, more realistically sized freckles, but those were near invisible, except as a dirty brownish smear. So yeah, leopard-lady trumps mudsmeared as far as looks go...

I'm not 100% sure how to tackle the hair yet.
    I guess I'll just have to go stare at redheads some more until I figure the colours out. Research is tough, but necessary.

Update: Got the hair done:

(side views, because they show the most hair...)

You can see the paints I used for the hair behind her:

I basecoated with the Vermin Brown, then highlighted with an "ongoing mix" I added more of the next colour to the base mix for each next highlight. Started by adding the orange to the vermin brown. When the orange/vermin mix got light enough, I started adding a tiny bit of the ochre colour. Glazed with the red, washed with the Ogryn Flesh, and re-highlighted just a tiny bit.

She has a wonderful stare, but I can't seem to get a focussed shot of it...
    Last edited by Modhail; 13-09-2012 at 18:50. Reason: Because I got more stuff done...

Librarian

Looking very nice indeed!
    Old school Black Templar horde, ruined temple Blood Angels, and art scale Space Wolves!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...rough-the-Ages Low brow, high vibrancy, fantasy mash up
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...?343809-Quest!
    Dark Eldar, unabashadly based on Drizzit from my childhood http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...lms-Persussian

Very nice and the tutorial is great - class work Modhail

Only thing I can think of RE: Freckles ( like my tau) is a very fine tipped brush - or in the other direction - a massively frayed drybrush that you can do one or two stipples across her cheeks?
    Last edited by Shas'El Tael; 14-09-2012 at 08:30.

The bases do look excellent. Maybe I will try it out on a big model where my simple sand/gravel will look really bad. Something like a minotaur. That'll be the distant future, however...

The stippling for freckles sounds good to me. Try it on a test model - I bet it will look good.
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 17-10-2012 at 23:16.
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: was one of the best games ever made and they killed it, those bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

Thanks for the tips.
    I did use a fine tipped brush for this one. But next time, I'll also try just using paint mixed to the right "freckle colour". On this go I used a wash, thinking the transparency would aid the effect. In hindsight, I should have known that washes flow out more, giving me less precise control.

In the end, I managed to misplace a few drops of paint, so I had to retouch her skin anyway. I used that opportunity to lightly glaze the freckled areas as well. This toned down the "leopard spot"-effect nicely.

She is finished by the way.

Update, with pics:

And a closer view of her face/torso:

I really like the glare she's gotten. It's definitely one of my more real-seeming faces. Oddly enough, someone on another forum said she looked exactly like someone he used to know...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000282.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	151720  
    Last edited by Modhail; 15-09-2012 at 19:15. Reason: Photobucket plays nice again....

Nice result and the reduction of the freckles worked well. What's your leather legging recipe, it's come out quite well - leathers are my bane!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast