Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log

Re: Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log (with random extras)

Looks cool. I like how you've done the scrolls and parchment.

Thanks for the comments guy. I also like hammer guy I'm desperately awaiting a chance to actually play with this stuff now...

Nothing done this week in the end, as building a custom Monopoly board for my mum's birthday took longer than I thought, what with having to drive around town trying to find a print shop as my printer crapped out. However, I did get my Maelstrom delivery!

Mmmmmmmm, new plastic...

That's a terminator assault squad (I already have the parts to make a terminator sanguinary priest) that hopefully will be magnetised so I can chop and change between lightning claws and TH/SS. I'm going to paint up the LC and TH/SS termies from space hulk as sergeants, and REALLY hopefully I'm going to at some point try and press mould the space hulk storm shield to use on the whole squad (wish me luck...)

The devs are exciting for me as I have little plasma in my force so I'm going to put together one squad will at least 3 plasma cannon. I'm hoping 6th making 2+ saves better will also make plasma more desirable, plus the idea of 3-4 S7 AP2 blast templates being dumped on something is awesome - it kills orks just as well as it does marines. The red guys in front are my original devastator squad, complete with metal shoulder weapons, which I dug out last time I was at my parents. Add in a AoBR tac squad and that should make 2 full dev squads.

But what you really want to know is what the plastic clam on the right is, don't you? Mwhaahahaa... I've always loved Scibor's sculpting, and have been keeping an eye on him, waiting for some BA themed Storm Shields to come out. After buying the drunken dwarf he does for my WHQ brewmaster, it was so awesome I caved and got myself the SF Archangel! It's a great-looking model that is perfect as a Sanguinius. I originally planned to use him as The Sanguinor, but now I'm tempted to use Mephiston's rules, as he's just too big to be T4

So to finish this lot I'm going to need some more heavy weapons, Instamold, AoBR tacs and the Forgeworld BA termie pads. So much spending, not enough cash...
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 12-02-2018 at 14:11.
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: was one of the best games ever made and they killed it, those bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

No photos this week (some must be thinking "Thank god" ). I haven't done any painting as I have instead been working on my Stormraven. The plan is to magnetise pretty much everything that can be magnetised. So far I've got the turret options done (but mounted on the cheeks, so I can keep it looking long and smooth - well, as long and smooth as a Stormraven can look...), the wings and the doors (although I do have to finish the 2nd bolter door). I need to check out the nose weapons as I'm told they don't need magnets (nice and snug already) and I'm debating how to magnetise the landing gear so I can choose to land it or not (as long as I double up the magnets I'm pretty sure it will be strong enough to stand, as the fit of the legs is pretty good anyway). If I can't work it out, I might have to just see if it will work without magnets.

My major issue with the Stormraven is that I'm struggling to put it together without glue so that I can spray it then take it apart to paint. I need the floor glued in place on at least one side to give it rigidity, but glueing the floor in place stops me opening the back of the engine compartment to take the engine out so it doesn't get sprayed red/is easier to paint, etc. When I get round to priming this thing, it's going to be held together by bluetac, spit and hope!
    Guild Ball: was one of the best games ever made and they killed it, those bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by S_A_T_S View Post
    Thanks for the comments guy. I also like hammer guy I'm desperately awaiting a chance to actually play with this stuff now...
    Awesome stuff man! And I know how you feel, having greatly painted guys but not finding the time to go out and play a game lol!

Wow, came back to update at last and puckus10 beat me to it! Thanks, dude! Been away from BA due to moving house, starting a new job and not being motivated to get out the airbrush - I hate cleaning it, and you have to to make it work. However, friends I semi-regularly play boardgames with suggested a while ago that they'd like to play a 4 player 40k game at some point as a change of scene, which got me going again. So, what's happening?

Well, first off, itty_bitty_pieces and other readers of his awesome enforcers plog introduced me to Fairy Power Spray, which is simply the best stripper I have found for plastics. See those Devestators at the top of the page? Scroll up, I can wait...

Done? OK, well after a week in FPS and 5 seconds of scrubbing (I swear, the paint literally fell off as I pull them out of the jar), they (and a load of other old marines I found) looked like this:

Suddenly from nowhere, I've gained an extra 19 marines, scoured from my many boxes (all jumbled in the move) and hurled into the miracle liquid!

Using the new Devs box, I put together my company Devastator squads:

I've completed the two sergeants and all but one heavy weapons since I took the photo (the last lascannon is in pieces on the cutting board in front of me as I type this - just gotta work out how to pose his left arm...)

Sadly, the new plastic weapons don't fit perfectly on the old bodies. I had to hack up the cabling on two of the plasma cannons to get them to fit together, and the lascannon is just horrible:

Note the marines right shoulder in the first image, and the massive disconnect between the backpack and cabling in the second. Some of that is my own fault for cutting parts off before sticking, but the cannon's cable sticks out 3-4mm further than the backpack, so I'm gonna have to break out the green stuff to push the 'pack out, then try to sculpt some cabling to fill the gap. One of the plasmas needs a bit of cabling filled in, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Tomorrows job is to get 10 marines on my new spray stick and get them primed, then get that green stuffing done.

I'm not gonna promise weekly updates (I've learnt my lesson) but I hope I can update a little more often than once a year ;-)
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 12-02-2018 at 14:13.

Yeah this is the issue with dramatic posses on heavy weapon teams, GW did there best but we have to do the rest. I was tempted to use a cable brought from a shop and completely replacing the GW one but as i got them from eBay for £5 it was too much effort LOL

I know about the inspiration, mine have been stored away since the temperature hit 25C a month ago

Yeah, I too noticed that the old Devastator bodies don't fit too well with the new stuff. Actually, the plastic Devastator box is fairly humorous in that GW cheated a bit to get stuff to fit properly (still doesn't fit easily, but it's better than the 3rd edition metals), such as the Lascannon backpack being off-centre.

As for the old Devastator bodies, I wanted to try to use them with the Forgeworld missile launchers, but my conclusion is that the static poses won't really match up with any new weapons since the Devastators are looking straight forward and almost all of the guns are at some kind of angle*. The end result is that it looks off (unless they're done at-ease like you're doing). My new plan is to make them some kind of guards, preferably with power lances and storm shields since the static poses lend themselves fairly well to that purpose, in my opinion.

*And I'm too lazy to bother with that kind of conversion.
    WHEN captaines couragious, whom death cold not daunt;
    Did march to the siege of the citty of Gaunt,
    They mustred their souldiers by two and by three,
    And the formost in battle was Mary Ambree.

Off on holiday for a week on Thursday so wanted to put up some stuff I've completed over the last few weeks (not much, but I'm slow).

1st half of my second Tactical squad. I dropped the missile launcher, and the missile I'd modelled in his hand snapped and I lost the bit. I don't have a replacement and paying £1.60 for shipping on a 10p item is too much, so I'm wondering what to put in it's place. I'm thinking one of the melta-bomb-type things on the devestator sprue. Maybe one of the ammo boxes. Maybe I'll hold back and see if there is anything else I want from Bitzbox.

Sanguinary priest on foot. Now I have 2 JPs and 1 foot.

On the 'to do' pile is Corbulo and a power-armour priest. I'm not sure whether to build him as JP or foot - I only have 20 JP marines, but rhinos only hold 10 marines, so foot guys can't fit with a full squad. I'm going to build a JP command squad to back up Dante/custom captain, so should I stick a JP on him for that, or just use one of my two others? Hard choices...

Anyway, when I get back it's on to getting all those marines sprayed mechrite red, then blood red. Last airbrush mix was too watery (runny and left too much black showing, 2nd coat just too thick)
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 12-02-2018 at 14:15.

I like the far right marine on the last group shot - well done!

"We must change, and change, until Change is our Master, for no being, not god, not mortal can catch and hold that which has no form."
    Liber Chaotica, Volume the Fourth: Tzeentch.

Welcome back! The BA are looking great. I really like the gold commander and the librarian. Also Tycho and Tycho can now legally get hitched. What a difference a year makes!

@Venomblood: Thanks! I like the grenade throwing pose. I always forget the grenade arms on the sprues, and when I find them, I wonder what I could do with them. One of the JP assault marines from earlier I call the grenadier, as he has a grenade in each hand and several strapped to his armour.

@Hadriel Caine: The commander came out as a good test for the gold, but it's been so long I'm a little worried I've forgotten what I did :confused: and yes, very soon Tycho and Tycho will be able to be legally married in the UK! Maybe Mephiston can be the chief bridesmaid...

So, back from holiday but typically, we brought the rain back with us, so I can't get outside to spray due to humidity. I'm not too bothered, as Payday 2 is out, and Tropico 4 is on sale on Steam, so I've got the last couple of DLC I'm missing and am itching to try it out. Hopefully I will get some progress at or after the weekend. To tide you over (as if waiting almost a year had any effect on you ), here's some of the work on the Stormraven:

I've magnetized all the weapons and even the legs - I couldn't decide whether I wanted it to be flying or landed, so I went for both!

Also thought I'd mention this thread - I saw it yesterday and read the last 3 pages (the link goes to page 12). The guy has a great table and some amazing furniture he's 'converted' to fit the WFB world, as well as making his army books and dice boxes into Warhammer artefacts. Very cool.
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 12-02-2018 at 14:15.

Argh! I think I've managed to do for another airbrush! This time, as I was cleaning it, I unscrewed the tiny nozzle inside and for some reason the thread looked a lot shorter than it did last time I used it... Looks very much like I managed to snap it off in the damn brush! It might still work for a bit, but if it gets clogged I don't think it will be cleanable. FFS. Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap(ish) airbrush? I have a compressor and airfilter. The connection is 'standard' size, I think (is that 1/4"? I can't remember).

At least I managed to get 10 marines properly sprayed and ready to paint. Hopefully I can pull myself away from playing Payday 2 long enough to get started on them.

Lovely crisp work here. Nice deep red and proper 'old school' look. Really like how the Death Conpany bits look painted up as regular marines, so may have to invest there! Any plans to incorporate any of the new releases? I think the sternguard vets with sanguinary/death company bits will look fantastic!

Re: Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log (lots of photos within!)

Dude a week in FPS for metal models is way longer than you need, I give them a day and get the results you do, plastic minis take a little longer though.

Re: Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log (lots of photos within!)

@Horus Lupercal: I know, but it doesn't seem to harm them staying in longer, I forget about them as my wife keeps putting the jar under the sink, and the more models I strip, the more I realise I have to paint! My biker squad is in a box upstairs somewhere because if I strip them, then I have to paint the damn things!

@The Boatman: Thanks for the compliments! I like mixing in old models I can find just for other players reactions when they spot them. People love the metal Landspeeders and kids are amazed Dreadnoughts actually used to be entirely made of metal ("Wow, it's so heavy!"). It's fun to talk about "the old days" The new models do look cool, and I'm thinking I might have to leave the last tactical squad I need until the BA codex is released for 6th so I know whether we get Grav-weapons. The Sternguard do look quite good, but I'd definitely need to use BA bits cos they are just too 'Codex'/Ultramarine for my BA. The Vanguard would look great combined with a Death Company box! What I'm most excited about is the vanguard weapons tho, as it should make building my jump pack captain easier (paired power armour lightning claws!).

So, I'm back at work and progress has slowed, but not stopped (amazingly)! My current plan is to finish the models I have on the table at the moment, then get a vehicle built (possibly the long-suffering Stormraven...), mix up a big batch of spray gun paint and get them all base coated. My table at the moment:

I decided while painting to add variety by swapping a couple of tactical marines for some 2nd ed marines earmarked for the dev squads. Made me a bit confused as to exactly what I have on the table (parts of 2 devastator squads and some tacticals as well) but the devs should look a little more interesting on the battlefield.

...and because I said in the title 'Random Extras', how about some BLOODBOWL!

Still not finished (needs scorecards as well as HOME/VISITORS and a stadium/band name in the centre), but I'm pleased with where it is so far. Pre-paint photo can be seen in my Hall Of Heroes WHQ thread. The Gladiator Dwarf Kickstarter I backed is apparently on the verge of shipping, so when they arrive I might start a slow-rolling BB thread with this stage, the GDs, my sideline figures and stripped-to-be-repainted 3rd ed BB teams. They will be mini-projects for when I want to paint something other than red...
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 12-02-2018 at 14:19.

The BA models in the photo above are now painted! I'd put a new photo up, but due to mixing up all the models, I found that the Dev sergeant and one of the plasma gunners have the same head, so I'm gonna wait until I have more guys painted and can put together a more photogenic squad 10 guys on the stick are now waiting some base coat, which will come when the humidity drops a bit. In the mean time, I'm going back through my crate to see what needs touching up. Currently Dante and the Sanguinary Guard are on the paint station awaiting some extra shine and highlights. I might even start work on their chapter banner...

On the modelling stage, I got hold of a Telion body from eBay and ordered a few bits from the Bitz Store. Turns out plastic scout sniper rifles fit Telion perfectly with just a tiny amount of cutting and filing, so now my snipers have a sergeant. The last two metal scouts got stripped this morning, so they just need a cloak and base added. Scouts are fun to paint because I don't feel I need to spray them due to the very small amount of red on them.

Welp, Dante and co. have had a brush of mithril silver and certainly look a lot brighter. Next is to add some edging to the weapons and shoulder pads, some extra colour on the eye lenses, then I'll try and get a picture up. I've also fished my last two scouts out of the Fairy Power Spray, scubbed them and fashioned a camo-cloak for each:

It's a very easy method using some tissue (I use ones from those little pocket packets) and watered down PVA. I looked up a guide to making a cloak for cosplay/historical re-enactment and followed it on a much tinier scale I hope this means that my cloaks fold and fall naturally, as they are shaped as a true cloak should be. After the Sanguinary Guard, though, I need to go back to the scouts and add edging, extra highlights, more definition to the cloaks, and a camo scheme (probably). I feel something needs to be done to the cloaks, but I'm worried I'll mess up a camo-scheme and they will look worse - I quite like the tan colour, but it's a little... bland. I'll take some better pictures of the scouts when I get round to them so someone can hopefully give me some advice and ideas.
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 12-02-2018 at 14:19.

Re: Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log

No one likes the scout cloaks? Shame. Don't be afraid to comment, guys!

Not done a lot in last couple of weeks as wife took over the painting area to organise and strip her kroot and finish her WHQ beastmen. She gets in the mood for painting so infrequently I can't risk disturbing her What I did manage to do was add some touch-ups and highlights to the Sanguinary Guard and Dante I mostly painted more than a year ago but never properly finished.

I tended to use SG as Vanguard in 5th, as those Elite slots were so tight (Chaplains, Priests, Furiosos...), and SG just die against the Orks and 'nids I faced most regularly. Vanguard at least get their heroic assault to assassinate something before they can be bracketed and destroyed, but from what I hear about 6th 2+ might be more useful now. As I found a few spare torsos, I'm planning a command squad with assault packs provided by a Death Company box. Is it still worth arming them with 3-4 meltaguns to back up Dante for tank blasting?

Not much on the table at the moment, but it'll keep me going for a while:

The rest of the devs are still out in the 'workshop', waiting for more red paint and a drier day to finish their last airbrush coat. Gonna get some more done on the scouts sunday, assuming my cold dies down a bit (sitting here right now with tissues shoved up my nose - only way to stop the sneezing and eye watering). So hopefully see you lot soon with a painted scout squad!

Oh! I got my Base Stampers through!

Very cool. Had some issues with 2 of them, but the guy running the Kickstarter has said it's an issue with the mould he's spotted and fixed, so hopefully should have a couple of replacement stamps winging their way to me. Can't wait to get those Spyrers mounted and painted - all a prelude to getting my other 3 Necro gangs based and repainted (a winter project when the airbrush can't come out, along with more Bloodbowl stuff).
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 12-02-2018 at 14:20.

Ooh, Spyrers! I just read through your log; you've got some awesome painting skills. Love the Sanguinary Guard, especially the gent with the Inferno pistol. I can't wait to see what you do with the Spyrers.

Re: Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log

Thanks naryn! I also can't wait to see what I'm going to do with the Spyrers...

Motivating myself to paint becomes sooooo hard as we get toward winter (odd, as you'd think that was when you spend more time indoors...). I don't think I've picked up the paint brush in over a month, but I have a couple of days off now so I'm hoping I can get SOMETHING going.

Before I stopped for Christmas , I did manage to finish Telion and his scouts:

and ordered and put together parts for the Captain of my Company (who I believe is called Castigon in the Codex). This guy will be the JP/assault version of my ancient, original Tycho model:

I'm quite pleased how the pose came out in the end. It was tricky getting what I wanted, and my wife and I spent a fun half hour running in slow motion up and down the living room, arguing with each other how your arms and legs would move in different running situations (fleeing, sprinting, charging, shoulder barging). I eventually went for a sort of shoulder slam pose, as that is my favourite part of the Space Marine computer game (how can you NOT love making orks explode by running into them shoulder first?).

Anyway, I'm gonna try and get the Captain primed today to give me something non-red to paint, hopefully making me feel more enthusiastic about picking up that brush. I'm also slowly working on a magnetized Mordheim Freelancer Knight to use in Pathfinder. When I finally get hold of some cotton thread and have a go at making a bedroll, I'll try and get a picture up.
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 12-02-2018 at 14:21.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast