View Poll Results: What is you favorite number of points to play with?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll

38 26.76%

59 41.55%

25 17.61%

15 10.56%

5 3.52%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is you favorite number of points to play with?

What is you favorite number of points to play with?

What is you favorite number of points to play with?

I like 3000. It gives me the option to try out all kinds of different units, and comboes.

Veteran Sergeant

Re: What is you favorite number of points to play with?

3000 points does it for me too. Just gives you that little bit of extra to try stuff out. Usually we play 2400 in my region though.

D...

I actually 2400 best as it goes well with the 25% for lords etc, it also gives you enough points for a battle while forcing some critical choices on you - you cant have everything you want. For me personally it fits into my limited play time quite well. Maybe one day I will be free to game and have huge battles

Lemonbrick

Where did 4000+ go? :confused: I find huge battles to be very gratifying. The fact that the battle starts to look like a battle and not a skirmish at 4000p does it for me.
    15 000p High Elves (since 2000)
    3 000p Eldar (since 2004)
    4 000p Imperial Guard (since 2008)
    5 000p Empire (since 2009)
    2 000p Dark Elves (2013)
    1 500 Dwarfs (2015, AoS be damned, rank and flank for life!)

Chapter Master

If I have the time I love massive battles; although the balance of power definitely shifts. Skaven at low points (up to 2,000) are very powerful. but larger scale battles you'll find the power shifts towards other armies such as High Elves. I would wager Wood Elves become almost sickening at high points.... so many gladeguard.

(unsure on other armies but that is how I have seen with my 3 armies)

Chapter Master Bingo the Fun Monkey's Avatar

2500 for this guy. While you are still forced to make some choices, you can get most of what you want into the army. Additionally, the games are just the right length for me at least.

Chapter Master Oogie boogie boss's Avatar

2000pts for me. Means you can play relatively quickly, giving you the possibility to get more games in. It's also enough points to get a good number of troops on the board, use Lords, try different combos, etc. I like 1,500pt and 2,500pt games as well. Bigger games are great occasionally, but I think there's more of a challenge in playing games where you can't take absolutely everything you want to. It makes you think about what you're doing more.
    Savage Orc Army (Oogie Boogie Tribe) ratio in 8th: 20/5/8
    Eldar ratio: 0/0/0
    Blood Angels Ratio: 5/2/5

Written a short ebook on naval history. If you're interested in the age of sailing warships, give it a look! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...r_mts_prod_img

2500 points works best for me!
    Currently Painting: Judge Dredd Starter Set Minis
    Currently Playing: Destiny
    Currently Listening: Primus - Pork Soda

I AM THE LAW! - Judge Dredd miniatures game PLog (Updated: 15/09/2014)

Chapter Master

2400/2500 for me. Forces people to make sacrifices in their list-making. Just going ahead and picking what you want at higher levels doesn't have the same satisfaction, personally speaking .

Commander

I don't have a favourite value so cannot vote. I like to play varying sizes of games. Small 1000-1500 point games are just as satisfying as big 3000+ point games, sometimes more so. There is a lot to be said for not being able to take all your toys and having to make hard choices with your army. There is also a lot to said for being able to take the expensive dragon riding characters and big gribbly monsters.

Not playing the same points value all the time is what I would vote for.

2500 points for me- you still get to take a decent amount of toys in addition to your blocks, where as in lesser points I still have to take the same amount of blocks yet lose the fun stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Walgis View Post
    maybe giant has something magical in his pants? :S

i vote for 1000 but i played 750

Commander

Depends on the occasion. A quick 1-1.5k at club night means you can fit 2-3 games in, so you can play against more people. 2.5k gives you a good evening or afternoon's entertainment, but if I have a whole day spare, it's good to get a 3K+ (the more the better) game going. I find those to be the games where I learn a lot more, because (for example) I actually have the points to play triple-arach, and to go with tooled-up characters, even try out one or two of the hundred-point magic items. A Savage Orc Warboss with the Battleaxe of the Last Waaagh is hilarious. Or maybe Grimgor Ironhide in a unit of 50 Blorcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    I would never turn down a game of Warhammer. What's that? You want to have two Skaven slaves duke it out? Someone hold my drink...
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocracity View Post
    Warhammer 40k doesn't actually exist as a game. It's just an elaborate scam put on by people who get their kicks pretending to like something on the internet, just to make other people mad.

3000+ pts battles for me. Without the grand army stuff, unnecessary rule imho. Larger armies look better, and larger games often lessen the impact of magic.

3000 is key for me and fellow gamers as long as we do not "star up" a stupid unit there is heaps of stuff on the table and lots to play and die with,good times really.
    "The path we walk is not so straight and there is no end to the figure eight."

Librarian

Booooo to 2,400pt games. That was created for all you lazy guys who can't be bothered to pick up a calculator.

I have to go with 3k with the caveat of no grand armies though. That is the total that I like to play around with - but then I like to fit big ridden monsters in every once in a while without completely gimping my list, so I may be biased.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNNiX
    If I wasn't completely against the lame practice of "sigging" people's comments, I would sig this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordcypress View Post
    Booooo to 2,400pt games. That was created for all you lazy guys who can't be bothered to pick up a calculator.
    Yeah! That and the 2250pnt match you rock up to and your opponents all like"can you throw on another 50? my list is like 2299 i ran over is that cool"pick up book, list and weave 50pnts of magic fast...shame on them!!!
    "The path we walk is not so straight and there is no end to the figure eight."

I prefer games above 2500pts, but I find that between time constraints and model limitations with armies (myself and my opponent) most of my games are around 1500pts. I have an upcoming game of 4000 per side that I am looking forward to but my opponent is still assembling models and painting to get his side up to par.
    8th Edition Record W/L/D

Warriors of Chaos: 18/9/3
    Dwarfs: 4/4/2
    Vampire Counts: 3/2/1
    Dark Angels: 0/4/0

3k without grand armies (which should be 3,001 in the book but there you go).

Enough points to have a large army, large enough that an unlucky turn of magic is not game breaking, enough points to have a decent Lord model alongside a level 4, to take all the core stuff I want and still have points left for other stuff.

The game feels like it "fits" 3k, takes slightly longer to play but at my current club more than one game a night isn't happening anyway so 3k means the one game I get is bigger and to me better

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast