Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Horace's Dwarf/O&G/VC/Bits & Bobs Painting Log

Re: Horace's Dwarf/O&G/VC/Bits & Bobs Painting Log

Good looking stuff! I really like the vibe your terrain is creating, and a very good paintjob on the phoenix as well ( those eyes !!!). Consider me subbed

Taken right out of the golden age of Warhammer, when the studio did terrain from scratch, and the armies had just graduated from the red-era to the slightly darker look, without being over the top grim-dark!
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!

Thanks for all the comments

Quote Originally Posted by __ALEX__ View Post
    Really like your upgrading of the old card buildings, I have a stack of them (mostly still flat packed!) and was thinking about doing something similar - using the card version as a blueprint/foundation for something more up to date on top. Great stuff!
    You should do it, it honestly takes no time and the end result is loads better. Although simply basing the card buildings makes them look a lot better in general. I based the brewhouse you can see in the background for our grudge of drong game, I didn't have time to knock up anything fancier. I was eyeing up some of the other 5th campaign sets to do something similar with. Circle of blood has some nice ones

I will try and get a few more things posted up in the next couple of weeks, I got a 1 week old daughter who is sapping my energy through sleep deprivation

Update time!

I have actually managed to get some painting done surprisingly, whilst my daughter sleeps in a sling. This has meant painting in some sub-optimal light but what can you do.

First up my hammerers, needed some of these for my army but have been trying to decide which "brand" of hammerer to opt for. In the end I decided the marauder metals so picked them off whenever I could on ebay. Still need to put together a banner for them though.

One of the reasons (besides metal is best) I liked the marauder hammerers is the champion, one of my favorite models. They don't make em like that anymore

And finally some spirit hosts that have been WIP for ages. One of the better recent-ish GW kits (and reasonably priced).

Next up some marauder White Lions followed by some metal miners. The last unit I need for my Dwarf army! (although I wouldn't say no to some Bugman's rangers)

Awesome stuff man, it's been a while since I stopped in. Great work on the Phoenix. And I love me some oldschool Dwarfs!
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

Those dwarf are grat! gj ebayhunting! also ... good to hear that one can reproduce and till have some time for minies!
    Would be cool to see some rangers too .. one of my favorite oop dwarf units.
    My Ogre Marvel Heroes (Upd. Jul.28.15) , My O&Gs(Upd Aug.02.15), My Dwarfs,(Upd 3.26.16) My 40k plog () (Upd 3.26.16) , Paint-off , MichaelJames vs. Localicious
    Minies bought/painted-ratio 2014 - 149/70 .. am I the only one failing that ratio big time ? :P

Wow a paint log update, who saw that coming?!

Cheers for the comments, I have been slowly working through some stuff since my last post and hopefully the pace will pick up a touch now our youngest has started to sleep through \o/

I was grinding through the White Lions I bought and getting progressively more sick of painting elves. They are actually quite fiddly to paint so took me a while but I have got them mostly done

(apologies for the dark pictures again)

I picked up a command group for them thinking I had the chap in the top left already but once I checked my models I don't have him. Annoying so my command will have to be bow armed.

Attachment 227216

I made a start on my miners to break the monotony of elves

And finally knocked up some banners for all my units which are missing banners (Thunderers, Hammerers, Miners & White Lions). Next up will be some banners and Eagles from The Hobbit.

After that I am open to suggestion. The options so far are:
    Chaos Dwarfs (I have picked up a chunk of big hats!)
    Azhag the Slaughterer (picked him up nice and cheap, love this model)
    Ironbreaker repaints
    Dwarf unit fillers (from the scibor dwarf statues & drunken dwarfs)
    Some more scenery (small hill/waterfall/lake)
    Dire Wolves
    Krell
    Chaos Slaanesh Champion
    Daemon Prince
    Daemons (Bloodcruchers & an assortment of Nurgle)
    Last edited by Horace35; 30-04-2016 at 16:50.

I love the Marauder Hammerers and White Lions and you have done them justice.

I'd like to see your take on Azhag the Slaughterer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkc57
    When a British recording artist thats sung with Prince tells you your wrong, I think its a safe bet you've made a mistake in your reasoning
    Sheena Easton Is Fabulous!

Rejoice! We are back!

(if any mods happen to read this I guess this thread should be in the Fantasy section)

I have been posting over at EEFL so I will repost the stuff I have done since Warseer went down

To start off I have a few of The Hobbit Great Eagles for the High Elves. Quite nice models, really easy to put together and definitely an improvement on the old ones

Last edited by Horace35; 04-12-2016 at 19:30.

Chapter Master Morglum Necksnapper's Avatar

Your painting is truly excellent.You really bring the models to life.

Great Plog, and great to have you back!

Ta

It's good to be back

To continue on reposting my stuff from the downtime gap, I managed to find a little bit of time to fit in (pretty much a biannual) battle. My brother came over and we had a quick 2500 point game Orcs & Goblins Vs Vampire Counts.
    We don't play massively optimised lists, more just what we fancy taking. I went with a bit of a monster mash

It has painted models so I think it counts for project logs. A bit of a mix of old and new. Here is a roughly in order selection of pictures and what I remember happened

The armies lined up

The first few turns, both armies advanced. The Rock Lobber blew itself up at the first opportunity. The Goblin Shamen threw out Curse of the Bad Moon towards the crappy VC horde infantry. I was trying to not let his Hexwraiths nobble my Mangler

First contact!, The Mangler went through the Ghouls and landed just short of the Blood Knights & Vampire Lord (boo). The Pump Wagon also hit the Ghouls and did basically nothing. The Wraiths then charged the Trolls and the Fanatics were released. The Hexwraiths were magiced to death.

Last edited by Horace35; 09-12-2016 at 08:49.

The Wraiths & the Grave Guard managed to get a charge in on the Trolls with the Grave Guard going in their flank. Despite causing next-to-no damage it was enough to send the Trolls fleeing and the Wraiths cut them down. The Grave Guard reformed to face the Giant and the Savage Orcs & the Pump Wagon was killed by the Ghouls. The Night Goblins panicked and also fled. The Blood Knights had backed away from the Mangler Squig to try and reduce their chances of death

The Giant and Savage Orcs charged the Grave Guard and pretty much smacked them down. The Savage Orc Boar Boyz flank charged the Wraiths despite me having no magic weapons. A large melee broke out on the other flank as the Giant and the Goblins charged the Zombies and the Mangler Squig went through the entire Undead battle line (*) along with all 3 Fanatics. The combat didn't go especially well with minimal damage really inflicted. The Blood Knights were further delayed by Itchy Nuisance.

* We ended up with a question here I wonder if anyone can shed some light on: What happens when a Mangler goes through an enemy unit in close combat? It really wasn't clear to us.

The Ghouls then charged the Giant and we played this combat wrong. The Giant yelled and Balled in a multiple close combat and we were confused by what happens. This helped the Ghouls and Grave Guard avoid being entirely wiped out. The Wraiths crumbled to the Boar Boyz, but unfortunately that wasn't the only crumbling going on as my entire left flank crumbled under a charge from the Skeletons and Spirit Host.

With our time running and I had a quick look at the situation and decided the only way to win would be to kill his Vampire & Blood Knights so my Goblin Shamen on Arachnarok charged in... and managed to fluff all of its attacks. And fled for good measure. With my fleeing Arachnarok poised in front of his Bat Swarms within charge range and with it being my brothers turn next we decided to call it

Final pic.. hoping to maybe get 2 battles in over the next month or so. Was good to finally get to play with everything!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4