Thread: The Parliament-Men: 2500 Pointes of Pike, Sworde and Shotte

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Parliament-Men: 2500 Pointes of Pike, Sworde and Shotte

“Oh Lord, thou knowest how busy I must be this day. If I forget thee, do not thou forget me. March on boys!”

Sir Jacob Astley's prayer before the battle of Edgehill, 1642

"My affections to you are so unchangeable that hostility itself cannot violate my friendship to your person, but I must be true to the cause wherein 1 serve. I should wait on you, according to your desire, but I look on you as engaged in that party without the possibility of retreat, and consequently, incapable of being wrought upon by any persuasion. That Great God, who is the searcher of all hearts, knows with what a sad fear I go upon this service, and with what perfect hate I look upon a war without an enemy. But I look upon it as Opus Domini! We are both on the stage, and must act those parts that are assigned to us in this tragedy ; but let us do it in the way of honour, and without personal animosity!"

Letter from Sir William Waller, Parliamentarian General, to Sir Ralph Hopton, Royalist General, prior to the Battle of Lansdown, 1643.

--

In my home county, there is a school called John Hampden's. I never attended it myself, and never knew of it as anything other than a boys' school which was unnervingly good at sport. Then I went to university, and all that changed. I learned of John Hampden, and of the war of King aganist Country. I read of how my town's church was fortified, and my area pillaged by royalist cavalrymen led by a German (!) Prince popularly believed to worship the devil. I learned of an interciene, bitter struggle fought over 350 years ago for reasons of everything from religion to political ideology to simple local spite. I learned of the English Civil War, and wanted to pay tribute to it.

This Empire army is intended to evoke the army of Parliament in the English Civil War. In particular, it is to be the army before the 'New Model Army' of 1644. It will consist of those old conscripted regiments led by local gentry, mostly amateurs at military matters. It will contain littlle or no magic items. And it will, God willing, fight to the death against whatever the Old World has to throw at it.

The Parliamentarians of the early war were a ragged army. Most experienced continental officers had joined the King, but Parliament posessed the city of London and most of the country's arsenals. The armies were largely conscripted; but Parliament could afford to be lavish with its artillery, firearms, and even an entire regiment of Cuirassiers. Colonels were appointded by a Parliamentary committee, often chosen from local gentry, and were instructed to raise regiments from their own expense. The result was a decidedly mixed quality of troops. Some officers, such as the Earls of Manchester and Essex, were largely incompetent; but others were not, and it is these on whom this army will focus.

Also present amongst the Parliamentary army was a high degree of religious fervour. This was a war being fought against the forces of the anti-Christ, embodied by the religious reforms of King Charles' Archbishop of Canterbury, William Laud. Where parliamentarian soldiers marched, churches and cathedrals were systematically smashed for any signs of 'false idols' and idolatory (including statues, stained glass windows-anything too gaudy.) Preachers accompanied the armies, whipping the men into heights of religious fervour with sermons and floods of pamphlets. In battle, regiments would often sing psalms as they marched into enemy cannon fire. The 17th century was an age of Calvinism. Men believed they were destined for the afterlife, being among a chosen elite. Heaven was guaranteed to be theirs', should they die doing God's work. They would therefore fight fanatically, in His name.

And so, without further ado-the army.

--

Officers of the Staff (It should be quite clear, in most cases, where each officer rides or marches. They've named and raised their own regiments, after all.)

Colonell Sir Arthur Haslerigge, Grand Master with great weapon.

Colonell John Hampden, Captain with Pistol and Full Plate.

Colonell the Lord Brooke, Captain with Pistol and Full Plate.

Sergeant Major-Generall Phillip Skippon, Captain with Pistol, Full Plate and Griffon Banner. Will march with one of the Regiments of Foote.

Generall of Ordnance Sir John Merrick (Master Engineer with Hochland Long Rifle). Will accompany the Artillery Trayne. This is his provisional name until I find out the name of the Belgian who actually commanded the Parliamentary artillery at Edgehill.

The Discouverer of Witches Matthew Hopkins (Witch Hunter with brace of pistols, Van Horstmann's Speculum.) Although he never accompanied an army into battle, I couldn't resist including him. He will march with one of the Regiments of Foote.

The Foote (The stalwart pike-and-shot wielding anvil of the force.)

Colonell John Hampden's Regiment of Foote 'The Greencoats'

Regimental Chaplain Warrior Priest with Heavy Armour, Great Weapon

The Pike, including their Ensign, Elder Serjeant and Drummer (48 Spearmen with Full Command)

[B]The Shotte[/B] (2x Detachments of 10 Handgunners)

Colonell the Lord Brooke's Regiment of Foote 'The London Regiment'

Regimental Chaplain Warrior Priest with Heavy Armour, Great Weapon

The Pike, including their Ensign, Elder Serjeant and Drummer (48 Spearmen with Full Command)

The Shotte (2x Detachments of 10 Handgunners)

The Horfe

Colonell Sir Arthur Haslerigge's Regiment of Horse 'The Lobsters' (Cuirassiers. Heavy cavalry, armed with poleaxes and full armour. A formidable force, if slow, expensive and vulnerable to artillery fire.)

Regimental Chaplain (Warrior Priest with Great Weapon, Barded Warhorse)

[B]Troopers with Elder Serjeant, Cornet, Musician[/B] (8 Inner Circle Knights with Full Command)

Colonell Oliver Cromwell's Regiment of Horse 'The Ironsides (Harquebusiers. I couldn't not include Cromwell somewhere, or people would scream.)

1st Troop (5 Pistoliers with Musician)

2nd Troop (5 Pistoliers with Musician)

The Artillery Trayne

Saker (Great Cannon)

Saker (Great Cannon)

Mortar (Mortar)

This reaches a total of 2540 points, and I'm still trying to decide where best to shave them off. I haven't even worked out of it's legal yet. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Could someone move this to the warhammer army lists area place? Mistakes were made.
    Last edited by Awilla the Hun; 03-04-2013 at 13:08.
    Now just doing Battle Reports.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191378 for the Red Guards

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196677 for my Imperial Guard.)

"this is the best 40k stuff I have ever read." (Carltmc)