Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob's WHQ paintathon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bob's WHQ paintathon

Been revising the rules and painting up a full set of miniatures for years at this point. The good news is that I'm in the home stretch of finishing my old world set of miniatures though so I thought it was about time that I started posting some pics of them. So to start off with here are all of the base game box miniatures painted up and ready to go. They were all painted at various points in time so some do look better than others.

This is the tip of the ice berg as miniatures wise I'm only one dragon short (white dragon) of owning all of the miniatures I need and I'd say the set is around 70%-80% finished for the old world miniatures. Stay tuned for more and more and... ya more.
    Last edited by bobthebobish; 28-06-2013 at 16:56.

Re: Bob's WHQ paintathon

Amazing, nostalgia overload! I am, however, outraged by your lack of snotlings
    My Space Hulk log

My Warhammer Quest Log

Quote Originally Posted by rodmillard View Post
    Games are pretty much always present at my drinking table

Wait, are you saying you've collected and mostly painted every monster from the roleplay book lists!? If thats true, this will be very interesting!!!
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 325 models. Number complete: 175
    Break even painting target 2015: 836 models. Number complete: 156
    Break even painting target 2016: 238 models. Number complete: 9

I have indeed collected all the monsters and the painting process is nearing its end. I'm trying to finish it before we get started on our next campaign which will include both the lustria monsters and sewer monsters. As for the snotlings somehow I missed those in the photos. So here they are with the recently finished witch elves.

Somehow I forgot the snotlings bases when painting them but that won't take long to remedy. Also a nice happy group shot of the base game minis:

Last edited by bobthebobish; 28-06-2013 at 17:01.

It didn't quite sink in when i read your 1st post. ALL the monster tables? WOW! Skin tone on the elves looks ace.
    My Space Hulk log

My Warhammer Quest Log

Just finished up the wights today!

Probably shouldn't blow the load already but since they have been done for years here are the big stars of WHQ:

I can't take credit for the vermin lord as I bought him off ebay and just did a few touch ups on the paint job (it was already very nicely painted).
    Last edited by bobthebobish; 28-06-2013 at 17:06.

Lots of photos taken, more to come and just a few to post up even!

Today is a mixture with a banshee (reaper mini), Black Orcs (GW), Bull Centaurs (impact minis) and the Liche King(reaper with gw parts). Since we play with the custom rules set (see sig) our monster table goes to 11 and the liche king happens to be one of those nasty things on that table. I just love the miniature for him too. Sadly (or thankfully) I don't recall him getting to hit the table yet...

For anyone who is on the fence about mixing and matching GW vs other miniatures then get off it! Grab whatever you can that you like the look of and or can afford!
    Last edited by bobthebobish; 28-06-2013 at 17:12.

So the giant was fun if not a little infuriating to paint but he's done at least! As are the skaven globadiers:

Also why bother posting a bunch of hero pictures when you can just get em all in one go!

And that's not all! Why not throw in a few stone trolls from reaper while I'm at it...

I'm so close to finishing up the rules for a sewer expansion I can taste its nastyness too. Unfortunately I still have about 10 more adventures to write and several treasures to add but hey its better than just starting out! Anyone have a few good adventure ideas by chance?
    Last edited by bobthebobish; 28-06-2013 at 17:17.

The Bull Centaur from what did you make them?

Thanks just started using Vallejo washes (the GW ones are way to thin from the last pot I had). Its just a white base with a flesh tone wash over it so super easy to do.

Where to start!

Glowing effect is amazing, always liked those wight models. The big nasties are also looking really good, especially like the KoS. I've never actually managed to level up the warriors high enough to face (read: get killed by) any of the greater daemons! That group shot of the heroes is ace, would be cool to get some shots of these guys in action.

Looking forward to the sewer expansion, I'm assuming you'll be sharing!?!
    My Space Hulk log

My Warhammer Quest Log

Thanks again. The sewers will indeed be posted in the revised materials as soon as they are finished. We are working through an AD&D 2nd ed campaign right now so play testing is not happening at all but the rules are still (slowly) being completed. I'll eventually get more pics on but the stupid computer caught fire (literally) so things are super messed up on my end.

Thankfully the ancient laptop from days long past is 'working' and has not crapped out for over 10 minutes now!

This is some pretty impressive stuff, man. Well done

Well time for more minis as the marathon continues. As always I'll start with the newly finished:

Chaos warriors (mix of old models with new shields), One of the Vampires, and a Wight Champions/lord to finish up the wights!

This whole project has been off and on for years so please excuse some of the following old paint jobs...

Bloodletters, Khorne Pony riders, Mummies, And a pairing of Orc Shaman with a Orc Warboss

Last edited by bobthebobish; 28-06-2013 at 17:22.

Back again with a now 'mostly' working computer! So let's add a newly painted vampire to the thread:

For the old here comes an odd mishmash of painting styles due to the years of separation between each set of models. First up is the Daemon Prince of Tzeentch followed by some Beastmen and finally a fairly old set of converted chaos dwarves. Unfortunately I am to cheap to get the real thing so these will have to do!

To end on a super happy and colorful note here are a few trolls that I bought painted off of the bay and couldn't help but leave them as is! As weird as the paint scheme may be it is very well done.

Last edited by bobthebobish; 28-06-2013 at 17:27.

Just finished the Dragon Ogre Shaggoth. Due to a lack of time (and incoming commission work) I've been attempting to speed paint through the rest of the list of monsters. Shaggy here I think took about 2-3 hours. Hard to tell due to the amount of projects being worked on at once lol

And whats pappa without his baby monsters?

And finally How about a few dragons to wind out this dragon post? Not all of them but a few at least:

The random dwarf is to show just how huge that red dragon is! Reaper did an amazing job on the model and to further their credit even though it was all metal it went together easily without pinning!
    Last edited by bobthebobish; 28-06-2013 at 17:35.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthebobish View Post

Where is this model from? It's absolutely fantastic.

This is a truly impressive collection. I'd love to see a pic of your "to be painted" pile, although it sounds like you're cranking through these awfully fast!
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

As far as the old world portion of the painting goes the 'to be painted' pile is very small now (about 30 models or so). The majority of what I've posted so far has been painted over the last several years I've just been posting back log pics with each finished painting session. They are going fast but not THAT fast! Sadly the lustria and sewers portion of the models are not only no where near done but not even fully purchased...

Still quite the impressive collection, I'd say. I've thoroughly enjoyed rifling through these. One suggestion: It'd save everyone a bunch of clicking and cycling through images if you posted them full-size with an img link rather than uploading them to the site and having site-generated thumbnails. More a matter of preference, really, but I know I tend to skip over plogs where people make me have to do extra clicking to do the good stuff.

And your stuff, sir, is definitely good!
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast