Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Bob's WHQ paintathon

Re: Bob's WHQ paintathon

Stunning stuff Bob, very very nasty indeed. Its a good question, I'd like to know how pictures can be altered too?

I don't think you can - I always alter them in photobucket first.

Nice GUO, I have that model and was umming and Ahhing about painting him next even though I haven't long finished my FW one. Yours looks really good, particularly the blood and his glowing eyes. Well done!

Phenomenal work on some great sculpts. Don't scare me like that, talking about "not painting" for a while!

Personally I think the size of the images you're posting are perfect the way they are. It bothers me when I have to "click through" the mini versions to get the the full size ones. But I use picasa to make smaller versions of mine before I upload them.
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

wow. inspiring. im on a similar quest. dug out my old whq box after 20 years in the cupboard and decided it was time to attack it. looking at all the work you have done is daunting. especially since I haven't finished even 15% of the boxed minis.

I will be trawling back through the post to see where you got some of the cool sculpts from.

Genuinely impressed.

Finally done with all the Commission back log and out of the business too! To celebrate here is the Exalted Bloodthirster of Khorne ready to end any party that dares roll him up...

Quote Originally Posted by bobthebobish View Post

Where is this model from? It's absolutely fantastic.

Bob. Are you using an airbrush for any of your work or just blending with a brush. Either way your transitions look good.

The dragon model is a very old Teronus the ultimate dragon from grenadier models (so old its more of a lead than pewter mix!).

As far as airbrush v brushwork is concerned I do a lot of work with both really. For OSL and large surfaces I like the airbrush a lot as it simply speeds up the process but for the smaller details I'm not quite comfortable enough with the airbrush so I do more traditional work. I've got a huge amount of stuff to add in to this thread now but I have to find time to take pics! I'll just have to make the dog do it...

Just one quick thing to show off. Most of my painting is going to a chaos dwarf army I'm working for to take to a GT. That said I've also been working on expanding the little guys role in quest so look forward to some new rules for all these shiny models.

Normally this army would be well beyond my means however with a little ingenuity and scratch building most of it is hillariously cheap! As an example here's a toy bull commandeered as a bale taurus!

Flames were all green stuff, chains were just good old fashioned chains and the wings are some spare bloodthirster wings that a friend had lying around after a skarbrand conversion so overall this cost about $15 to make since I already had plenty of regular dwarves to chaosify.

Love it Bob, just my sort of thing. Does the job, looks great and is cheap as chips. Hats off to you fella, look forward to seeing the rest.

Hey the chaos dwarf army is finally ready for tournament play so now I can go on to paint 'smaller' batches of things! That said I think these will make nice additions to quest especially since I'm working on a mini expansion utilizing an expanded chaos dwarf bestiary...

Up first is the Kadai Destroyer. He will definitely be the greater daemon level entry for quest. His rules are suitably nasty and on top of that he's a tough little bugger to get rid of for sure. Anyone who has faced on one the tabletop can back up the horror stories of these guys soloing units. Mine is a Mcfarlane Children of the Zodiac figure with added fire and a full repaint. Anyone who hasn't checked out their line of toys is missing out as they have a ton of suitable giant models.

And here are the fireglaives. Like blunderbusses they are nasty at range but unlike them they are also a pain up close. There is a nice half and half mix of the Russian Alternative Chaos Dwarves in here. Those little metal guys are AMAZING for the price they more than give forgeworld a run for their money and you can find them about $30 per 10 dwarves on their ebay store.

My Hobgoblin cavalry are simple goblin wolf riders with chaos hounds underneath. A very crude saddle was made out of green stuff. The chaos hounds make them look way more fierce than they actually are!

And if you have basic dudes you need a leader dude right? Here's a Hobo Khan:

So way earlier on this thread I have my hobgoblins I use for Quest made out of Reaper goblins. I'm still going to use those for quest for sure but I wanted to buy up at least 40 hobos on foot for my chaos dwarf army and needed an easier source. I went to mantic and bough their goblins however I was less than happy with the models. They really do lack a lot of detail and seem like a horribly rushed product. This was made more unfortunate since normally I really like mantics models and find them fun to paint. But if you are looking for cheep hobgoblin substitutes they are only about $1 per hobo so you get what you pay for right?

Next up are the infernal guard. For my rules I'm keeping the chaos dwarves as a normal entry but adding a set of infernal guard as seperate types to encounter.

Of course good old forgeworld Infernal Guard. This is one of the few fully 'official' units in the whole army (the unpainted bull centaurs being the only other one).

Still have some Kadai Fireborn to take pics of. Overall for all the questors out there make sure to check out alternatives for chaos dwarves it makes things WAY cheaper. Those russian alternative dwarves make things not only cheaper but IMO look WAY better than anything forgeworld or GW came up with! They even do great looking hobgoblins (yes I'm kicking myself for not grabbing those instead).

Loving these FW Chaos Dwarves. The hobgoblins are a good idea; I had wondered about Mantic goblins, pity about the detail
    [Eastern Empire] [The Scythes][Warhammer Quest]
    Tau, Marines and Warhammer Quest Adventures.

Ya unfortunately this time I have to send people to another source (totally recommend Russian Alternative on ebay) for the hobos. I actually had to prime them white and run a sepia wash over each one just to see where certain parts of the mini were detail wise. Still they paint up 'ok' but not up to Mantic's usual quality.

These doors have been sitting lonely and drybrushed in shades of grey for too long so I figured why not add some fun to them? Should liven up the quest boards that's for sure!

Reaper was nice enough to make a few more decorations for the dungeon so now I need to make some new rules for them...

It's true I haven't made a lot of progress on new rules lately still haven't managed to work up the free time for it or ambition honestly. Maybe soon though who knows!

Hmmmm after looking at your doorways. My grey drybrushed doors do look bland now. Will have to spice mine up. Think I'll put it on my to do list.

Nice update. I like the suble colours on the stalactites/mites (I always mix them up) - did you airbrush them?

Brother Sergeant Rusty Wintertooth's Avatar

This is fantastic. You're at the end of the project I've just begun, so pleased it is actually manageable

Mmm, agreed, certainly need to sort out my doorways ASAP. Great updates.
    [Eastern Empire] [The Scythes][Warhammer Quest]
    Tau, Marines and Warhammer Quest Adventures.

Bob.....fantastic models!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6