Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!(and now metal)

Re: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!(and now metal)

My final entry in the Analogue Hobby Painting Challenge XI was 8 dark ages Irish warriors from Crusader Miniatures.

Wonderful figures to paint; not a lot of "stuff" dangling off them.

Nicely cast, no mould lines to speak off. The only complaint I had with them is that a couple of them, have kind of squinty eyes.

These will join a Irish warband I bought a few years ago for Saga. I liked the look of the vests and cloaks so I picked up this batch to add to the purchase.

I might pick up a box of Wargames Atlantic Dar Ages Irish to add to the warband as I have a small force of Normans that I could use to fight battles set in the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland.

In the meantime this lot brings my Irish Saga Warband up to 5 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Embarrassing to be ambushed by dudes who just discovered trousers
    Painting is excellent as usual. Scenery and photography is magazine quality.

Edit- I have some content but you deserve to be at the top of the page for a couple days with this effort.
    Last edited by Imperator Mos; 24-03-2021 at 04:28.

Thank IM.

With some lovely spring weather that allowed us to game outside- and after a 10 month break- Murdock and I got together to fight another installment in our ECW Campaign in the south-west of England.

The battle of Monkton Farleigh features a Parliamentarian force set up in an ambush position, anticipating a Royalist advance on the main Parliamentarian army to the east, across the river Avon at Claverton. Here the bulk of the Parliamentarian infantry are ensconced in a "walled wood", their cavalry in the distance:

However, the Royalists have word of the ambush and have sent a reinforced body, to flush it out ahead of the main advance on Claverton. Here they are as they enter the field of battle, as scene from the hill of Monkton Farleigh:

Although the large foot regiments of the Royalists find themselves a little slow on the advance, the horse of both sides fairly fly across the table at each other:

Col. John Trevanion's regiment of foot leads the advance taking heavy fire from the rebels in the walled enclosure:

Eventually the shooting takes it's toll on the regiment and it retires from the field, replaced by the recently arrived Goldophin's regiment of foot, which soon starts to feel the sting of the enemy's musket and cannon:
    Last edited by Codsticker; 16-05-2021 at 17:36.

The Royalists get there cannon set up after it arrives from up the road, but has a couple of large foot regiments blocking it's path (middle of the frame). In the distance, Royalist horse make repeated charges against the enemy horse, each time they are repelled:

The Royalists are finally able to array 3 full regiments to fire upon the enemy in the enclosure:

However, they fail to do enough damage to drive them out (ie. never quite enough to force a Break test with sufficient negative modifiers);

The final push for the Royalists; in the foreground, the blue coated Prince Maurice's and Col Buck's regiments target the enemy dragoons behind the wall:

Alas that was it for the Royalists; Godolphin's foot (the regiment in the middle in the above photo) having taken the bulk of enemy fire, finally quit the field and Maurice's and Buck's foot promptly did the same (after taking just a few casualties as raw regiments are rather unpredictably fragile). With that both Royalist battalias were shaken and would not have been able to continue.

In the actual battle the Royalists were victorious, driving the Parliamentarians back across the river Avon and capturing their two guns. The follow up scenario to this is Claverton Down but it is a theoretical battle as it assumes the Royalists press on after their victory to Claverton. Although they held the bridge at the river Avon and secured the village of Batheaston, nothing substantial followed except some skirmishing outside of Claverton.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 16-05-2021 at 17:45.

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

CS,

Looks fantastic down and dirty wargaming.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

Just look at those gorgeous armies and setup! The added bonus of using casualties and that background for pictures is great, well done on getting some gaming in mate.

Thanks guys. It was fantastic to get a proper game in.

Great battle pictures Codsticker.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Necromunda figures - Selling Metal and Plastic Bretonnians, Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Thank you Captain.

Murdock and I and a couple of others got another game in this past weekend. Instead of ECW though, we dragged out some 30 year old figures once owned by a friend of ours who passed away in 2016.

Jeff painted these using craft paints; he was more interested in getting stuff painted and on the table than wet blending highlights and layering shadows.

Very bright and colourful armies and once deployed on the table you don't notice the belt buckles are painted the same as the belts.

The buildings are from some brand of Christmas village decoration, I am not sure which manufacturer. They suit both the design of the miniatures as well Jeff's painting style.

Jeff liked thick bases as they are easier to pick up- these are 7mm MDF. Hopefully it isn't another 5 years before these see daylight again.

The Nanaimo Historical Wargamers have taken on a new period: the Crimean War.

A number of us each chose a Nationality or two and a batch order was put together by Nate through Eureka Miniatures USA ; I chose Ottoman Turks (the flags I ordered from Maverick Models).

I haven't painted many 15mm figures (these are 18mm- close enough), just a few Xyston Carthaginians. The Ancients were easier as there is less detail on the figures whereas these figures have belts, pouches and hardware. Some of it is quite fine and it was sometimes hard to tell what was flash/miscast and what was sculpted and intentional. Younger eyes may have been beneficial.

Not a lot of free info on the intrawebs but the colours were pretty straightforward to paint: Prussian blue ( a little brighter in the photos than in reality) with a lots of red details. There are a few plates to view online, some blog posts and the Wargames Foundry pics from the webstore (which are not great) so I ordered Turkish Uniforms of The Crimean War from Caliver Books, mostly for the info on the flag bearer and officers.

As the Ottoman Turks play a relatively small part in the battles we have planned I have French on the painting table right now in similar numbers.

The last Sunday of July saw Murdock and I resume our ECW campaign with The Battle of Freezing Hill, a prelude to the main event, Lansdowne Hill. After scouting out Lansdowne Hill the previous day, Lord Hopton's Royalist force returned the following morning to occupy it only to discover that William Waller's army had ensconced itself at the crest of it in the meantime. After deploying for battle and seeing the Waller had no intention of leaving Lansdowne Hill, Hopton retired towards Marshfield. Waller sent out a harassing force and Hopton was obliged to present some of his army as a rearguard; this battle is the result.

The Royalist rearguard; Hopton's dragoons in the forefront with Howard's and Vaughan's in the middle; commanded shot in the middle distance with more of Howard's and Vaughan's horse on their flank and more commanded shot in the far distance:

The Parliamentarian pursuit force made up largely of small divisions of horse from Col. Robert Burghill's regiment of horse, the Gloucestershire Horse and Waller's horse...

.... with Waller's Dragoons and the Somerset Dragoons sneaking up the flanks in amongst the hedges:

Col. Thomas Howard's horse await the enemy:

Royalist commanded shot from Nicolas Slanning's regiment anchor the right flank:

Parliamentarian reinforcements show up early (equal to or less than the turn number on 2D6- snake eyes on turn 2!) pushing forward and the Royalist's (Howard's horse) respond with getting the first charge in:

Surely a Standard sized unit of gallopers with a commander attached and rear support, charging a Small unit of trotters would win, right? Sigh.... the photo below show the defeated Howard's horse as it breaks for the table edge:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Freezinghill03.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	243450  

In the turn following, the Parliamentarian dragoons win their musket duel with Hopton's dragoons...

... and send them on their way:

Eventually, the Royalist reinforcements arrive, in the form of Col. Trevannion's regiment of foot:

Not a moment too soon either as the Parliamentarian commander makes good use of his early reinforcements to start hemming the Royalist rearguard in:

With the arrival of the foot, Bennet's brigade of horse immediately follow, making the battlefield a little less forlorn for the Royalists:

In the middle distance, the Royalist horse reinforcements move to fill the hole left by the defeated Howards horse:

Carnarvon's horse, with support, look to chase Waller's dragoons from the hedges on their flank but come up short in the charge:

Thus, they are exposed to a charge in the flank; they are unable to turn to face but their support is:

Near the end of the game, this picture shows the Parliamentarian horse largely intact; the hole in the lower right recently vacated by Godolphin's commanded shot, breaking the Royalist foot battalia:

The final turns see the Royalists try and salvage something from this battle by way of a charge into the inexperienced Parliamentarian horse. Nearly identical to the first charge of Royalist horse: a Standard unit of Gallopers, with flank and rear support charging a Small unit of trotters with only rear support. Sadly, an identical result as well as the snake eyes of the Break Test show:

With that failed attempt at glory, the Royalist commanders start ordering their troops off the battlefield as 2 out of 3 of their battalia were Broken; one of the last to go is Slanning's foot which performed admirably:

This game featured some wild die rolling from both parties right from turn 2 onwards. Oddly enough very few 3 move orders were rolled for on either side; the crazy die rolling seem to reserve itself for saves and break tests. In the past I have been a rather rash commander, a little reckless with my troops, however this time I was more conservative; sadly, my new approach did not change the Royalist's fortunes. Despite having the advantage of numbers and quality of horse I was unable to rack up a W. This leaves the Royalists 0-5 in our campaign series.

Another installment in my Crimean War project; this time French infantry and a cannon:

The infantry come in 3 poses, and two types of headgear; Shako:

And Kepi:

More refined sculpts than the Turks from the same range; better definition of the hands and face:

I still found them tricky to paint; I may have to invest in a magnifying visor.

The cannon also came out nicely:

White cross belts glistening in the sun ....

I have some Turkish cavalry ready for primer but they are not really appropriate as they are Napoleonic and the Turks had westernised their army in the intervening period. I may end up getting an Army Commander stand for the French (none available for the Turks) and another cannon.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 30-09-2021 at 05:58.

You have a crimean project?
    Nice, is that 15 mm?
    mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

Thanks mrtn. 18mm actually, figures by Eureka.

Nice work here cod!

They look amazing on the field, love the colour scheme. Nice job!

Great stuff as usual, just now learning a bit about the crimea along with the other major 19th century conflicts.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22