Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Project "stay away from that trapdoor" Dungeon crawl minis and terrain

Veteran Sergeant

Project "stay away from that trapdoor" Dungeon crawl minis and terrain

This is a diversion/distraction from my undead horde. Always really enjoyed warhammer quest, personally i think quest and necromunda were GWs finest hour, but this isnt the place to moan about profit over quality.

So i have been collecting a few intresting bits here and there to make up a reasonable horde of nasties. The horde so far includes old hero quest minis, a couple of early 80s GW bits, and some more modern stuff. All quite eclectic and following no particular theme (whick keeps the painting intresting).

All of the minis so far have been based on resin bases which im casting myself as i need them. These depict a dungeon floor and save making lots of tiles or sculpting a the same thing over and over.

Ive also made a couple of corridors those are ready to make a silicone mould so i can cast a few corridors. There a simple affair with sculpted tiles roughly 50mm square and 2x8 tiles long. all fairly detailed with cracked paving etc.

So thats where im up to, pics of painted stuff and other things to come.

Leigh

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Project "stay away from that trapdoor" Dungeon crawl minis and terrain

First few minis. old heroquest stuff.

Great painting on those heroquest guys. The bases are really nice too. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on with this!
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 325 models. Number complete: 175
    Break even painting target 2015: 836 models. Number complete: 156
    Break even painting target 2016: 238 models. Number complete: 9

Great work so far. The face on the gargoyle is really nice. Any photo of the beastman? His shield looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Please don't support the lazy klick-bait from sites like Natfka.
    My painting & gaming rooms journal: Fantasy, 40k, Epic 6mm, terrain & general sci-fi

The following are not real words: alot, abit, afew, ofcourse, atleast, addon, aswell...

Veteran Sergeant

Thanks for the comments guys. Il take some more pics.

A few more monsters have arrived this week. a couple of rat ogres a dragon ogre, a minotaur, a handful of chaos marauders a few goblin archers. Ive also got some bats more beastmen a couple of orks, some zombies, skeletons, and ive been greenstuffing a ghost. Oh and a dragon, cant forget him. That should keep me busy for a while.

Veteran Sergeant

Few pics of new arrivals, wips and bats.

Beastman. got another 10 or so to finish including metal ones.

Bats on my bases. nothing too special but fit for purpose.

Greenstuff ghost. enjoyed sculpting this so i will do some more and its good practice, which i need badly. I think 5 or 6 will be plenty for now.

Ratty coming along nicely.

Other stuff on the bench, waiting for attention.

Box of bits n bobs and finished stuff. old heroquest minis and dungeon bits.

Im on the lookout for more denizens. I also need some heroes to give the monsters a good pasting.

Looking good. I miss the charm of some of the older miniatures and your casted bases turned out really nice.

If you don't mind using product from other companies then Reaper has started another Bones kickstarter so there is a wide variety of minis on the cheap. I use minis from their last one in Warhammer Quest and Descent along with roleplaying games. It's not that great if you are wanting to build an army, but is an amazing deal for anybody playing dungeon crawl games. Not everything is usable, but last year it worked out to a little under two models for 1US$.

I'll second the Reaper Bones - I got 12 Giant Rats, 12 Gnolls (I think they're called) and 12 Goblins for about 10 the other day. The Gnolls look a bit like runtish Skaven (I'm going to use them as Skaven Slaves), and the Goblins have hoods making them look like Hobgoblins.

Bargain!

Loving the bases on the bats, I did the same thing with lots of my Quest miniatures using silicone molds, although the detail isn't as nice as yours: http://imperialvault.co.uk/monsters/...sters-gallery/

Keep up the good work!

Veteran Sergeant

Wow thats some crackin value, maybe GW should take a leaf out of reapers book. The $100 pledge gets you loads. I'm seriously tempted.

Nice work on your monsters eldritch. I think getting everything on similar bases really gives the models a sense of coherency. Your bats look great, i cant stand the models so mine didnt get too much attention with the brush, after seeing yours i feel like i should make more of an effort.

Ive been plodding through basecoating gobin archers and chaos marauders, treating myself to a bit of rat ogre here and there.

Finished sculpting some short corridor bits. I dont think i will make moulds of these just paint em up and use em and treat them as prototypes. Im waiting for clay to dry on a few more blank corridors and an objective room so i can get scraping and sculpting on those.
    Heres a pic of the first bits.

Ive also made moulds of a few bits of dungeon decoration to use for the objective room. Im thinking it will be a mausoleum with steps towords the middle and a sarcophagus. I might add some wall sections too, give it a bit more intrest.

Very nicely painted stuff over here, really good blending on the reds for the Gargoyle/Bloodthirster though I do hope you paint the plastic parts holding the treasure chests, etc together - I hate it when people have lovely painted sets but don't bother on those parts. I can also recommend Bones to anyone, better detail than I expected to be honest.

A nice start on the gaming tiles, do you plan on casting these types of tiles in plaster or resin when you complete your final ones? If resin, you might want to thin the base a bit as it can get expensive pretty quick otherwise (I speak from experience :-( haha). Otherwise I think the thickness you are currently using would be better for plaster as I tried dental plaster pieces with a thinner base and they were constantly chipping.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by twchdyn View Post
    Nice work on your monsters eldritch. I think getting everything on similar bases really gives the models a sense of coherency.

I might add some wall sections too, give it a bit more intrest.
    Thanks, I'm trying to add some kind of stone bases to all my quest minis for that reason. I actually quite like the bat models, but mostly for nostalgia reasons, I still remember opening the box one Christmas when I was in my teens

I've been torn about a custom board for Warhammer quest for years. I really want to go down the silicone mold route, but can't decide on the specifics, e.g walls/no walls, flor textures, dungeon decorations and so on. Endless procrastination! And so I salute your efforts for actually getting it done, and done well!

Veteran Sergeant

Thanks again for the positive comments.

Il be casting with polyestester resin with a nice cheap thixo (polyfilla). Luckily thers a company locally who do a lot of fibreglass work so resin works out at about a tenner for 5 litres. Biggest problem ive found casting thick stuff is heat, have to be careful with the hardener.

The old heroquest furniture wont get painted. I will probly replace it with some new scratchbuilt items.

subbed! great skin tones on the 'ratty'!

Veteran Sergeant

So...... dragons........... What colour? Im thinking metalic, bronze, with some moulten fiery touches. So a deep red skintone with bronze scales.

Veteran Sergeant

Some bits ive been making.

orc

goblin archers

Marauders

[URL=http://s516.photobucket.com/user/leighhodson/media/dungeon%20crawl/GEDC2789.jpg.html][/UR

undead

And a big scary dragon.

Dragons are awesome in Quest. We had one that was killed in one round by the witchunter/wizard combo. A pumped up Wind Blast pinned the dragon and the Iron Talisman warhammer hit it. Then, after pumping in an adventures worth of faith, a bucket of additional D6 damage dice were rolled the dragon was beaten to a pulp.

Bloodthirsters.....now there is something utterly evil. Even a tricked out level 10 party got their bottoms soundly handed to them.

Love the models keep it up.
    Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best you observe the least.
    Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithfull are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
    Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be decieved.
    Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
    Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

One of my favourite Dragon models - very Warhammer Solid paint job too boot!
    [Eastern Empire] [The Scythes][Warhammer Quest]
    Tau, Marines and Warhammer Quest Adventures.

Veteran Sergeant

Not posted in a wee while but i have made a little progress. Been distracted by my car dying and rebuilding the motor.

The skellys and zombies are painted. Yay
    I popped into a local firm who do a lot of fibreglass fabrication, They make go karts and other neat things for fun fairs. They supplied me with 2 litres of general purpose poly resin and half a litre of hardner for the grand sum of 5, bargain i thinks. so ive got a nice big pile of bases. should keep me going for a while.

Ive sculpted a room too. Ive left a 2x4 section blank so i can cast it in 2 pieces. One advantage is that i can make a different 2x4 section to make the base multifunction.

Ive also been trawling ebay for junk piles and had some great luck.
    I have a pile of goblin spider riders they are in the dettol at the mo.
    A few dark elves these were painted reasonably although a little bright for my liking. il get a before and after. they will get new bases and a little tone down.
    Kit bashed a couple of fun skellys. an orc with nice boots and a beastman with scruffy trousers.
    Kit bashing a barbarian from chaos marauder bits. his hand needs more work and he will be holding a lantern. still cant help feeling that somthing else is missing.
    Found an old troll/ogre in my bits box drafted him into service.
    Did a bit more on my bronze dragon.

I have some giant spiders, finished those off and they are ready for some lurking.

Heres a couple of pics.
    Attachment 180404Attachment 180405Attachment 180406Attachment 180407Attachment 180408Attachment 180404

Then the battery gave up, its charging so il get some more pics soon.

Thanks for reading guys.
    Last edited by twchdyn; 28-10-2013 at 21:31.

Veteran Sergeant

not hugely exciting but here's a few more denizens.

the dog thing is a reaper mini. meh is all i have to say about it.

The Skellies are cool. Top kit bashing!

Andy T's Necromunda Plog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast