Thread: The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 3 (Oct. complete and Nov. WIP)

Chapter Master

The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 3 (Oct. complete and Nov. WIP)

The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 3 (Oct. complete and Nov. WIP)

This is the thread for month 3 of The Tale of Historical Wargamers, season 2.

The first week of this thread will be dedicated to showcasing your completed work from last month. Please refrain from posting comments and WIP pictures until week 2, at which point the thread is open to commenting, WIP pictures and whatever else you might want to post.

What’s it all about then?

This is all about increasing awareness of historical wargaming and indulging in our inner history-geek.

Any period, any company, any scale... If it’s historical, then this is the right place.

A note on this tale

A lesson from season 1 was that many of us are rather hung up with real-life and/or are are not prioritizing historical projects as high.

As a consequence, I have adopted a more laid-back attitude like that in the (now sadly defunct) Tale of Guilders. That is: there's no set goal for each month and an unlimited amount of jokers. As long as you paint something historical you're welcome in this tale.

I would, however, strongly encourage people to comment on the thread, even if they don't have the time to paint anything themselves right here and now.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q : What army/scale/period should I choose?
    A : That’s entirely up to you. As long as it’s a historical wargame then you’re welcome in this tale.

Q : How much do I have to paint each month?
    A : Paint whatever you want. One model or an entire army; as long as you paint something you're good.

Q : Can I include historical background in my months post?
    A : You not only can, you’re highly encouraged to do so. This is, after all, a tale of historical wargammers, so the historical background is important.

Q : Can I do alternate historical settings?
    A : If you have an cool idea for a "weird war" army, sure.

Q: Can I still join?
    A: Sure, as long as you have a historical army to paint, you may come and go as you please.

Q : Can I drop out entirely?
    A : Well, we’ll be sorry to see you go. But real-life has a way of intruding at the worst possible moments, so if you absolutely and necessarily need to leave then do so. There are, after all, more important things in life than toy soldiers.

Re: The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 3 (Oct. complete and Nov. WIP)

Well, lets see, October... I painted a whole lot of Germans in October.

I also finished some Resistance fighters:

And some Frenchmen:

I need to find a job so I can lower my output...

At the moment I'm working on these guys, resistance fighters converted from various sprues.

If you want to see more angles and pictures of all these there are more in my plogs (two last links in my signature).
    mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

Re: The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 3 (Oct. complete and Nov. WIP)

Not nearly as productive as mrtn but I did get 6* minis finished, :cries:

* nine if cavalry count as two, right???

Spanish Slingers...

... and Andalusian Horse Archers:
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Brother Sergeant

This month it's 3 stands of us paratroopers and a British Sherman for flames of war

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Its Official the dice gods hate me

Chapter Master

@mrtn: That is a truly amazing output for a single month! For some reason the freedom fighters reminds of 1920's Chicago gangsters.
    @Codsticker: Nice job as usual. The rightmost mounted archer, though, is downright scare with that stare...
    @miguel77: Nice looking troopers. Are you planing to add some decals to the tank? That would be a nice finishing touch.

As for myself, I just finished added the groundworks to some trenches and razor wire. Tomorrow, when that's dry, I can add some sawdust and the first coats of under- and basecoat. And, who knows, I might get to post a WIP picture or two.

Brother Sergeant

@f2k yep decals are on the way !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its Official the dice gods hate me

Chapter Master

Aw!

Ohhhhh...

Bloody he...!

Just spend half an hour winding razorwire around a brush. My and my fingers are not the best of friends right now... :cries:

Oh well...

Enough with the whining, let's see some pictures!

I haven't been quite as active this last month as I should have been. Partly due to work, partly due to not being able to get quite the look I wanted.

I'm currently working on four sections of fortification; two trenches and two areas with razor wire. But the trenches have caused me a bit of grief.

As with the mine fields, I started with sections of wood. I then cut out pieces of foamcore and glued that onto the wood, trying to make it look like old ruined walls. I cut into the foamcore in places and glued in a few pieces of H0 scale brick walls, simulating areas where the outer layers of the wall have fallen off.

To give it a bit of a narrative feel, I cut away part of one wall and glued in some sandbacks and an ammo-crate. Obviously, the Germans have already been working to fortify this particular area.

Right! So far, so good...

To create a surface that resembled that on the walls from Battlefield in a Box I covered the foamcore with a thin layer of Polyfilla onto which I poured some dry Polyfilla-powder. By gently tabbing the wood I spread the powder over the entire surface of the walls, creating a nice rough surface.

But...

I should probably have added a bit of white glue to the Polyfilla as the powder was barely sticking. I tried to give it a coat of varnish and that seemed to work for a while. But a few weeks later it feels as though the varnish has been completely absorbed and now the powder has dried out again.

So I decided to not worry too much about it and forged ahead.

I cut some balsawood into short strips and glued them onto the wooden board to create the impression that there might once have been a house with wooden floor here. Some more Polyfilla was used to create a slight texture to the ground before I add some sawdust.

While that was drying I did the razor wire areas. A bit of balsawood was used to create the supports for the razor wire. They were glued in place and some razor wire from Games Workshop was added between the supports. As it was desgined for 28 mm. it was too big so I had to wind it around a brush to make it suitable for 15 mm. Hence why me and my fingers are not exactly on friendly terms at the moment...

A few drops of superglue was used to secure the wire to the support.

Right now I'm waiting for it to dry (not to mention, I need to go and make some dinner). Then I'll have to cover it all in sawdust to create the sand before securing it with the water/glue mix sprayed from an atomizer. Hopefully that will secure the powder in place.

Or it might blow it all off and I'll have to start over again. We'll see...

Finally, two months later than I had hoped, I have started my ECW army. The Shrewsbury Foote is under way...

Chapter Master

And a fine bunch of rowdy lads they look to be. I do think we/I will enjoy some great looking photo updates as the unit/army is coming together.

Warlord Games does have some fine ECW goodies. I have "inserted" some Perry Miniatures minies AND some Wargames Factory boys as well. They all "blend in" when there are a couple of hundred troops in 10 or so units or a side.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Harborc View Post

Warlord Games does have some fine ECW goodies.
    I love the detail on these figures, and the box set is good value but... the musketeers are **** to put together.

... and there are five pike bodies and only 4 pikes.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 17-11-2013 at 15:26.

@miguel77: Nice looking wee soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    @mrtn: That is a truly amazing output for a single month! For some reason the freedom fighters reminds of 1920's Chicago gangsters.
    Thank you. The advantage of being unemployed is that you have more time for painting I suppose...
    The models remind you of gangsters because they are, so that's not so strange.

Nice start to your terrain! I need some for my Danes, I've found myself missing hedgerows and roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    I love the detail on these figures, and the box set is good value but... the musketeers are **** to put together.

... and there are five pike bodies and only 4 pikes.
    I haven't had problems with the musketeers. I'm using plastic glue. I put glue on both shoulders, and a small drop where the left arm slots into the musket/wrist. Put the musket arm in place, and then slot in the left arm.
    I agree, it's a bit silly to not get five pikes, but I've managed to use/convert all of mine using either extra arms from the command sprue, cavalry sprue or the arms from the Firelock storming party box. If you can get your hands on the pack of metal pikes (they've been out of stock for a long time I fear) they're a great investment meaning you just need extra arms, and those can probably be taken from your medieval or dark age boxes (or Bolt Action models which I know someone who's used extensively for his converted ECW).
    PS, you made a double post.

I've finished a Hanomag and some converted resistance fighters this month:

More pics in my plog. Now I'm working on some more Germans, mainly made from WGF plastics.

mrtn's painting blog

I haven't had problems with the musketeers. I'm using plastic glue. I put glue on both shoulders, and a small drop where the left arm slots into the musket/wrist. Put the musket arm in place, and then slot in the left arm.
    That is what I do to but they do not go together clean. I have done similar kits and managed to get a nice snug fit, but it is more difficult with this one I find.
    I agree, it's a bit silly to not get five pikes, but I've managed to use/convert all of mine using either extra arms from the command sprue, cavalry sprue or the arms from the Firelock storming party box.
    I am on that already! With the extra Firelock arms you end with lots of Musketeers which isn't bad and I used some command arms and the armoured body to make a sergeant.

Are you using the right left and right arms for the musketeers? They are sitting opposite each other on the sprue, and I've read some tips that you can't/shouldn't mix them.
    Mikeland posted a colour coded guide to the sprues on the Warlord Games forums, maybe two years ago or so.
    mrtn's painting blog

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    Are you using the right left and right arms for the musketeers? They are sitting opposite each other on the sprue, and I've read some tips that you can't/shouldn't mix them.
    Mikeland posted a colour coded guide to the sprues on the Warlord Games forums, maybe two years ago or so.
    I am pretty sure I am but I will see if I can find that article and make sure.

Progress made...

I really need to get my act together, especially since i've just started painting my WW2 Desert Brits stuff.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    Progress made...
    Those are looking really nice Codsticker. Really characterful regiment - enough difference in pose and paint to make it look interesting while still maintaining a coherent look.

Those are looking really nice Codsticker. Really characterful regiment - enough difference in pose and paint to make it look interesting while still maintaining a coherent look.
    Thanks. That is the trick I think- getting some variety but still making it look like a regiment. I think I have to add some different colour jackets, only a few though.

Chapter Master

With a somewhat early Merry Christmas, the new thread is up.

Hopefully there will be time to paint a bit in between the rush to buy presents and all the festivities.