Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

Re: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War

@Captain Brown: Thanks for commenting!

Right, last night I had my first game of 2019!

Following the trend of last year it was another game of Sharp Practice with Cpt.Shandy's great 15mm ACW collection.

We used an Ambush scenario based on suggestions from Wargames Illustrated #365:

Ambushes are one of the very basics of warfare on a tactial level, but a bit problematic to depict on the tabletop. The worst case being that a player knows that at turn 3 exactly from the middle of the long table edge over there [x] units of type [y] will show up and attack me. This is quite contrary to every single principle of an ambush. The suggestions from the WI magazine come in very handy and are pretty cleverly thought out.

Basically the idea is that in this scenario neither of the players know WHO gets ambushed. Our forces start with the mission to secure and hold a crossroads in the middle of a small hamlet of buildings. For this each of us has 3 groups of line infantry and a group of Native American troops as irregular skirmishers.

At a certain point in time the additional forces lying in ambush spring into action. On whose side they fight will only be decided at this point, so until the very moment the ambush springs you don't know if you're the one getting ambushed of it it's the other guy. Either way, at this point the objective of the ambushed side changes to "get your troops off the table as safely and quickly as possible". OR of course try to be a hero and still fulfill the original mission. Which of course is tough.

Cpt.Shandy, my opponent in this game, has played such a scenario before. Here's his battle report: https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/...-practice-aar/

Another thing to me of course was the premier of indian troops in a game of Sharp Practice:

For more information on how the models were converted and about the role of native american troops in the Civil War, have a look at Cpt.Shandy's excellent article here: https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/...ns-in-the-acw/

The Game

This is what the game looks like:

Once more I took the role of the Confederate commander, Cpt.Shandy played the Yankee troops. In the beginning each side has a Level 3 Leader, 3 groups of infantry and a group of Cherokee / Union Indian Brigade (classed as irregular skirmishers), each with a Level 1 leader. My infantry had the Rebel Yell special characteristic. I think the Union troops had the usual Stubborn characteristic. My Cherokee got Prominent Leader, Buck&Ball, Aggressive and something else. The Union Indian Brigade were less aggresssive and went out without a Prominent Leader. Instead they go rifled muskets whereas my native americans only had smoothbore muskets.

Controlling the objective provides a bonus to Force Morale, to give a bit of an incentive to players to take the objective.

I start the game by leading my infantry and skirmishers onto the table, line infantry in open column.

My opponent follows suit, albeit his troops seem to be able to advance much, much faster. His Indian Brigade group advances across a field and immediately opens fire at my skirmishers.

An overview of what happens during the first few turns:

The Yankee column svivels to the right and marches around the built up area. Union skirmishers take cover behind a fence and keep firing at my approaching force. Seeing as how the chaps in blue advances very quickly and my dudes being very slow thus far I have to act defensively. The plan is to have my commander take two groups, form line in front of the Union skirmishers and blast them to hell. Then I hop over the fence and take the crossroads while the Union line troops are being harassed and delayed by my own skirmishers and a single group of infantry. Once the crossroads is secure, the commander can rush over to help with that. IF I was to be ambushed I can still retreat along the road I came onto the table relatively unharmed, seeing as to my left there'd be forests and to my right LOS-blocking, high-standing crops. Perfect plan, what could go wrong?

Unfortunately my guys refuse to advance swiftly. At all. Appearantly they heard rumours of beastly Natives sitting behind every rock.
    So my guys act all 'sticky' and time passes. Possibly sitting back is even to my advantage, as groups of figures appear on the hill across the table.

Two more groups of Native Americans in blue jackets enter the table, carrying all-new rifled muskets. Oh my.

In the photo above you can see what happens next: I proceed with my plan on the right flank. Present, Fire, Bang!, the Union skirmishers across the field take a fair amount of damage.

On my left I send my infantry into the cornfield. In the last game I've had good exeriences with single groups of infantry using the cover of cornfields to delay larger formations.

My Cherokee moved to the right to fill the gap in the centre. Their Prominent Leader, using dramatic gestures to encounrage his men, steps into Something Horrible. This effectively reduces his status (from 1 to 0), because his best mokassins are all messed up and his men are well amused. The leader would have to find a source of water to wash off the Horrifying Substance, otherwise it would be very, very hard to get the Cherokee to do anything at all. He considers the usual options: Church, stoup - impossible; the enemy's swarming all over the church. Trough in the pig pen - uuuuurgh. Not if this can't be avoided at all. Also, in direct line of fire of the slight decimated Union skirmishers. Then he gazes to his left and the problem is solved:

Through a coincidence only possible in Sharp Practice the whole affair took place right in front of a shoe store! The Cherokee decide to do a shopping tour.

At my left other remarkable things happen: The Union line troops are mighty unimpressed by the random shots my guys take at their column. They form up in close column (or rather attack column), lower bayonets and charge my line infantry!

My guys get beat up bad and retreat.

In the mean time the Cherokee shop for shoes and hats. Here and there one of them takes a shot at the union column, but due to lack of volume of fire the results are minimal.

At this point I decide to retire off the table. My officer has his line on the right turn around and - true to their form - they sloooooooooooowly start making their way back down the road. While doing so the rampaging Union infantry had made it through the cornfield to meet my infantry. During the whole chaos my officer accidently gets pitchforked into a ditch by the road. Lateron some men would claim (outside earshot) that he had dove there to take cover.

In this second bayonet charge carried out by the Union within a short timeframe they again prevail with minimal casualties. my infantry group gets routed off the table. My commander, once he looks up from his ditch screams at the remaining group of infantry to leg it and follows suit.

Now all I have left on the table is the Cherokee still sitting in the shoe store, but they realize that it's time to take off too. Again, very slowly. In war it is said that complicated things become very simple, but the simple things become very complicated. Like crossing a road in new, and not yet broken in pumps.

My stalking skirmishers get fired at from both sides (first time the union infantry fire this game, before that they've only used their bayonets), and THEN they get charged by Union Native troops and break. Bad, bad things.

To make their victory total the remaining union troops take out my deployment point and caputure the crossroads.

It's a Victory for the Union!

Debriefing

Another fun game. The ambush scenario is very, very interesting. We changed it a little, so it makes more sense (like making the ambushing force a fair bit larger). Of course adding another Sergeant (lvl1 leader) to each side would have made things easier. But you have to make do with what the scenario provides. Irregular skirmishers are fun to use. The rules never cease to provide a fun game with memorable moments and a good narrative. The shoe store I think made its debut in this game and already became somewhat of an MVP.

The subtle conversion work done by Cpt.Shandy on the native american troops are something behold; i strongly suggest looking at his article on his blog (link above). As always, fun was had and a good start into the gaming year 2019!

sigur,

Another nice little battle report.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Wonderful skirmish and the table looks great!

Very impressed with your painting, research, and battle reports. Keep up the good work!
    "What do you do?"
    "I kill Frost Giants"
    "There's no such thing as Frost Giants!"
    "That's because I'm damned good at my job..."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11