Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Sculpting Blog

My Sculpting Blog

Hello out there!

Thanks for stopping by First, let me introduce myself:
    Im a 23 young man living in Denmark and I recently began my biggest Green Stuff adventure ever! I have been in the hobby for around 8 years, and the last couple of years I have had an increasing fascinating of sculpting and converting, and now I have decided to try my luck at sculpting miniatures from scratch. As much as I like sculpting I have some problems of keeping focused If I dont have a purpose so random miniatures was out of the way. I somehow needed a goal a line of miniatures that I could make my own version of. I have followed chaos-dwarf.com and the forum there for a bit, and after some time, I chose Chaos Dwarfs! Guys like Baggronor (the sculptor behind Titanwargames) and Grimstonefire over there have been a great inspiration in my choice of models I wanted to sculpt, and I really admire the work they have done.

This blog will be my way of keeping track of things, and show the models to the world and hopefully get a few pointers from some of the pros out there :)

With the introduction out of the way, lets talk a bit more about the dwarfs I want to sculpt.. I really like all the different versions of CD that are available out there, but I have some clear favorites. FWs are awesomely detailed, and I like the overall style, but they look a bit to much like little chaos warriors. Baggronors im really impressed with, and I have been a bit influenced by his style, but I have tried to make them unique and personal. Lastly i admire the some of the old 3. ed models too, and they influence my work too..

The first unit I decided to make was a Blunderbuss Unit I havent been able to find any other models with blunderbusses (with no hats ;) ) So it was a natural place to start And now the first model is so far in the process, that I feel I can show it to you guys:

All he needs is some details and a little touch-ups.

Blunder nr 2 is also pretty getting worked on:

A bit more work left to do on this one - but im really pleased with the helmet.

Thats all i can show for now - but im working on two more Blunderbusses besides these, so i will have 4 different ones when im done :)

Im really hooked on this project, and feel like im getting better and better each time a mix another batch of putty :)

Let me know what you think, and Ill be happy to answer any questions

-Jon

Re: My Sculpting Blog

They look great. I'm looking forward to seeing the next two.

Wow, these are good - distinctive designs, beautifully sculpted. Will you be casting these to save you some work? :skull:

Thanks for the replies guys!

MaxSigmund - Yeah, i plan to get them cast once i got at least 4 different Blunderbuss-wielding dwarf and some characters.. Or in other words, when i have enough models to fill a mould

DISCLAIMER - Apparently photobucket (or me) is acting retarded right now, so the pictures *might* be a bit funky.. I will look into it tonight..

Heres a quick snapshot from my workdesk here mid-day.. I plan to make another update tonight too

Blunder number 2 now got both his arms!

Stay tuned!

-Jon
    Last edited by Horsleben; 18-12-2013 at 10:32.

Great work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lybban - thanks for the comment man

I have done some detail work to blunder nr 1 and 2, and they are nearing completion (nr 1 more than 2, though)

First, some pictures of nr 1's back side, which have received an improvement, and isnt so flat and boring anymore:

Im still debating with myself about adding a little pouch or some ammo to his belt, but i dont know - what do you guys think?

nr 2 recieved some details to his gun, and only needs some rivets and the like now:

Lastly, i want to show you the progress on the next two blunders - though i havent quite figured the poses out yet

Thanks for watching,

-Jon

Chapter Master

Wow! Incredible sculpting here. I really like your take on Chaos Dwarfs too. Are you going to be individually sculpting each miniature?
    ON HIATUS - ROAD TRIPPING ROUND THE USA!
    MY ROAD TRIP BLOG

Follow me on Instagram: @miniature_lew

Tau Drop Troops Log <-- UPDATING REGULARLY
    My Ogre Maneater Log <-- UPDATING AT SOME POINT SOON MAYBE I PROMISE

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Yep, really good sculpting mate. It's already obvious you've chosen good poses for the rifledwarfs.

And now the question is, do you plan to sell any cast Chaos Dwarfs? There's a danger zone of IP here, but just so you know there's also a market demand for blunderbusses. Yours look particularly good. For a professional "store" level you might have a few areas that would look a bit dodgy (the blunderbuss muzzle on the aiming dwarf and perhaps a few beard scales, both easily fixed if you fancy it), but these wouldn't be a large concern even if not "fixed", and the rest is entirely fine for the professional level which a release should have.

This little inquiry might seem to come out of the blue, but stems entirely from the high quality you've pulled off with those CDs.

Lew-b81 - Wow, thanks so much! It means alot when it comes from such a talented person as yourself! im a big fan of your ogres! About sculpting them all individually i must say no to that - i would end up insane, im afraid I plan on making 4-5 base-sculpts for each unit, and then get them cast

Karak Norn Clansman - Thanks for your kind words mate! About them going up for sale, the original plan was to only make enough models for myself - but if people like them, and there is a demand, i might set up a webshop and sell them - and expand the range to include more unit-types, such as Great Weapon-wielding warriors and Hobgoblins Oh, and about the fixes, i will certainly look into that! thank you so much for pointing them out! What do you mean about the blunderbuss muzzle? If you would like to elaborate

-Jon

Sure thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muskedunderkritik.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	183908

A are some scratches, but those might be deliberate. B is a small indent in the rim of the muzzle. Nothing critical, but also easy to fix if need be. C looks like two areas which breaks the impression of a ring around the darker putty. This might in reality be a smooth surface, or it might not matter if you're going to drill out the barrels of your cast miniatures anyway.

Oh, if you'll search after a demand for the miniatures on CDO, then bear in mind that although Russian Alternative are releasing their own riflemen/blunderbussiers, they're all clad in big hats. That leaves you the niche to cater to the mask/helmet Chaos Dwarf market, and probably the 3rd edition old school one as well since your style wouldn't look out of place amongst those models. I think that'd be enough to make the potential little venture go around.

Karak Norn Clansman - Thanks alot for taking your time to point those things out! It really means alot to me! A and B are small mistakes yes, which i totally had missed - those will be fixed! C, is just color-differences between the putty - but i will check it again

I have thought about my dwarves filling a nice little niche, and i might just consider starting a little webshop! It is a bit out in the future right now, but i will certainly work on it!

Thanks once again, Karak!

-Jon

Okay, i got some work done this afternoon - not on the greens though..

Here is a quick sketch of the pose on the next two dwarfs - i will have some work to do, to differentiate the aiming one, but i think its manageable..

What do you think - is the poses okay?

-Jon

Well, its been rather quiet over the holidays, but i thought i would chime in on this last day of the year and give you a little update..

I got a little sculpting done after christmas, and the loading blunderbuss dwarf (or blunder nr 3 as he will be called from now on) is coming along nicely.. Im not overly fond of the hand grasping in to the pouch, but i recon it will be mostly covered by beard, so i think i will leave is as it is..

I also made a new body for the other shooting dwarf (still debating with myself if he should be a lefty), and tried triangular scales.. Damn thats hard to make! If anyone has some good tips, please let me know.. If i get these to work, i intent to mix and match scaletypes to differentiate the dwarfs a bit more..

As a finishing shot, i will show you blunders 1 and 2 in their current state (which is ready for casting )

I cleaned them up, and attached pegs to their bases - i also added the last rivets and pouches and so

Thats all i got to show for now - i hope you all get a wonderfull New Years Eve, and a happy New Year

-Jon

Excellent work, it's going to be a fantastic unit! Any plans for command figures?

Thanks MaxSigmund!

Yes, i plan on making command figures - either one for each unit-type, or one with interchangable equipment.. Havent decided which one yet, though..

-Jon

Allrighty then!

I got some more work done on the loading blunderbuss-dwarf, and he is already looking considerably more evil

As usual, a lot of work left, but atleast i fell like im going somewhere

Have a nice sunday!

-Jon

They all look good. I think I'll put in an order when they're eventually up for sale. 15-20 of those blunderbussiers mixed with future Titan Wargames riflemen in a converted horde will probably look perfect for my army.

If you ponder about making a hexagonal scalemail, here's a tutorial to encourage an attempt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hexagonal scalemail tutorial.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	184834

You shall be most welcome to place an order once i get them cast.. Im honored by your interest in my work

Its a nice tutorial, and i will definately try it out!

I got some work done on blunder nr 4, and his basic body is about done:

Thanks for looking..

-Jon

Really nice minis. GW should learn form people like yourself or Warewolf Miniatures, that gamers want to get their hands on Chaos Dwarfs.
    BlazeXI

Very nice you should consider applying for g dub or some other company.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast