Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 5 (Dec. complete and Jan. WIP)

Chapter Master

The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 5 (Dec. complete and Jan. WIP)

The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 5 (Dec. complete and Jan. WIP)

This is the thread for month 5 of The Tale of Historical Wargamers, season 2.

The first week of this thread will be dedicated to showcasing your completed work from last month. Please refrain from posting comments and WIP pictures until week 2, at which point the thread is open to commenting, WIP pictures and whatever else you might want to post.

What’s it all about then?

This is all about increasing awareness of historical wargaming and indulging in our inner history-geek.

Any period, any company, any scale... If it’s historical, then this is the right place.

A note on this tale

A lesson from season 1 was that many of us are rather hung up with real-life and/or are are not prioritizing historical projects as high.

As a consequence, I have adopted a more laid-back attitude like that in the (now sadly defunct) Tale of Guilders. That is: there's no set goal for each month and an unlimited amount of jokers. As long as you paint something historical you're welcome in this tale.

I would, however, strongly encourage people to comment on the thread, even if they don't have the time to paint anything themselves right here and now.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q : What army/scale/period should I choose?
    A : That’s entirely up to you. As long as it’s a historical wargame then you’re welcome in this tale.

Q : How much do I have to paint each month?
    A : Paint whatever you want. One model or an entire army; as long as you paint something you're good.

Q : Can I include historical background in my months post?
    A : You not only can, you’re highly encouraged to do so. This is, after all, a tale of historical wargammers, so the historical background is important.

Q : Can I do alternate historical settings?
    A : If you have an cool idea for a "weird war" army, sure.

Q: Can I still join?
    A: Sure, as long as you have a historical army to paint, you may come and go as you please.

Q : Can I drop out entirely?
    A : Well, we’ll be sorry to see you go. But real-life has a way of intruding at the worst possible moments, so if you absolutely and necessarily need to leave then do so. There are, after all, more important things in life than toy soldiers.

Re: The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 5 (Dec. complete and Jan. WIP)

Hm, I didn't finish too much in December. Some converted partisans, as well as a German medic.

More pics in my plog...

I have also developed an increased interest in the first world war (which started 100 years ago), so my plan is to get two late war armies for it. The first one will be a French army which I will use for both WWII and WWI, the only differences in uniform is some of the bags, otherwise the WWI colonial troops look very much like the metropolitan troops of WWII. The second one will be a German army. I've bought, based and primed 40+ models for this (mainly French), but pics of black blobs aren't the most interesting, so I'll skip that.
    mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

Re: The Tale of Historical Wargamers Season 2, Month 5 (Dec. complete and Jan. WIP)

I finished off the last few musketeers for one sleeve and polished off the Pike unit... almost. Just a couple have to get their bases flocked and the ensign has to get his standard hung.
    The finished musketeers:

The pike unit:

... and the two together:
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

mrtn: Terrific work on the partisans, they look the part. The guy on the back row with the patterned hat is awesome.

codsticker: Pikemen are looking good. It's going to be a great looking army.

Thanks Killshot!

I finished the first of my Frenchmen:

mrtn's painting blog

Another excellent entry! Are they from Great War Miniatures?

Thank you! Nope, these are WWII Frenchmen from Warlord Games. I think you can see differences in the bags and rucksacks if you know what you're looking for. The one or two short guns are probably wrong as well. I haven't found WWI late war Frenchmen I like yet, I bought some from Scarab Miniatures (artillery crew), but don't like the sculpts, so I'll probably not buy any more. They gave good service though, so I may buy more GWM Germans from them. Great War Miniatures only have early war French, with kepis and not Adrian helmets.
    mrtn's painting blog

Looks like it's just you and me this month mrtn.

I finally started Rupert's Bluecoats:

Chapter Master

@mrtn: Nice looking partisans. For some reason, the guy with the Molotov reminds me of a crazy scientist... The french are looking good too, though I must admit that WW1 has never really caught my interest.

@Codsticker: Nice job as always. Though I must admit the the leaders of the pike regiment do stand out like sure thumbs due to the lack of green. Du you plan to flock the tray as well? It looks a bit odd as it is now...

As for myself... Well, most of my stuff has now been packed and I've organized most of the things (manpower, truck, money, etc.) needed to move. Now all I need is to get the keys to my new apartment and finish off some paperwork. Oh, and clean up my old apartment, of course...

Sounds simple, but it isn't. It's incredible just how much junk you can acquire over a lifetime. Honestly, you should be forced by law to move every other year, just to give you a chance to go though all your stuff and throw the junk out. So far, I think I've thrown out almost as much as I'm keeping.

To make matters worse, my local hobby store has decided to try to promote Flames of War and has organized a game-day on the same weekend that I'm moving. So I decided - 'cause I'm crazy, you know - to paint up 1000 point of very late war Germans from Desperate Measures while I'm packing the last of my stuff. So move on Friday, clean the old apartment on Saturday, and play on Sunday.

Great idea...

NOT!

Oh well... Truth to be told, I think I need a bit of a break from the Stützpunkt. I've got two MG Nests ready for undercoating, but just can't get myself to do it. Typically me, actually. I always tend to lose interest after a while - hence why I usually have at least a dozen different projects going on.

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    @mrtn: Nice looking partisans. For some reason, the guy with the Molotov reminds me of a crazy scientist... The french are looking good too, though I must admit that WW1 has never really caught my interest.
    Just see them as WW2 then, they're that as well. I'm just about finished with a new batch of Frenchmen.
    @Codsticker: Nice job as always. Though I must admit the the leaders of the pike regiment do stand out like sure thumbs due to the lack of green.
    You can't expect an officer to wear the same cruddy clothes as the common riff-raff can you? It's much more realistic this way. In this period uniforms wasn't mainly a question of getting everyone to look alike, it was much more "buy me some new clothes, I'm dressed in rags".

Good luck with the move!
    mrtn's painting blog

@Codsticker: Nice job as always. Though I must admit the the leaders of the pike regiment do stand out like sure thumbs due to the lack of green. Du you plan to flock the tray as well? It looks a bit odd as it is now...
    You know, I wasn't going to flock the trays but that may change. Honestly, it doesn't look as odd in person as it does in the photos.

Good luck with your xtra-cray-zee weekend; the tournament will be a well-earned reward.

Next up is a couple of artillery pieces. They both have both types of barrels and can thus both be heavy or medium artillery. The crew are the first of some Scarab Miniatures minis.

Next we have more Warlord French, two riflemen, one VB grenade launcher and a LMG with loader.

I used a darker than normal skin tone on most of these, should be fitting if they're French from North Africa.
    mrtn's painting blog

You, sir, are a painting machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    You, sir, are a painting machine!
    Too much time on my hands...

Here are some German Great War artillery crew.

This last pic shows how the "I'm sitting squatting"-guy is supposed to be. These are from Great War Miniatures* and I like them so much I've just ordered five more blisters from them.

*Except the guy to the left who's from Old Glory.
    mrtn's painting blog

The painting machine strikes again!

Yet more French:

mrtn's painting blog

Chapter Master

Jeez man! Slow down a bit will ye? You're making the rest of us look downright lazy...

Jeez man! Slow down a bit will ye? You're making the rest of us look downright lazy...
    It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it!

Warlord French:

Hotchkiss MMG from Scarab, and some barbed wire I made from the spiral from a notepad.

mrtn's painting blog

Revisited my unfinished French regulars and grenadiers for Muskets and Tomahawks.
    Painted warlord figures for Saga, Viking, Irish and Byzantines.
    Finished my Varangian guard

Excellent work! I like the idea of mixing things up: painting a few Andalusians, some P&S. I may do that next month.

Hm, talking about next month, I think it's already here...
    Nice ones emperorpenguin!
    mrtn's painting blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast