Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "Remember, we just here for the loot" A Warhammer Quest Tale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Remember, we just here for the loot" A Warhammer Quest Tale

- They crept down the stone stairs as silently as possible, not daring to announce their presence to whatever foul minions lurked in the shadows. The faint glow from
    Leoric’s enchanted stone did little to illuminate the gathering dark. Jain slowly notched an arrow, gracefully pulling her bowstring taut as the small silhouette of
    Tomble spun his knives behind her.
    “He is here somewhere,” Avric whispered, “be prepared.”
    “Greetings, brave heroes,” a boisterous voice suddenly announced from the darkness. “You have come so far! ‘Tis a shame your journey ends here...”
    As the voice faded to the sound of distant cackling, dozens of monstrous shapes emerged to surround the heroes. The chamber soon rang with the sounds of battle...

(Intro Descent Starter Booklet- I know its not Quest but I like it)

Hey to all who read this, this log contains all that I have tried and failed and due to family commitments have started sold and now restarted again. All posts up to 50 are old and as of now old and don't have anymore. New project hence fourth is from 50 onwards, but please feel free to read my journey up to that point. - Richard

Greetings to all now & to all those who read after, my names Richard and I'm a veteran gws player since the year of the Warhammer Fantasy Starter Kit - Bretonnian's against the Lizardmen. I've been a long time viewer of this forum, and restarted my Quest enjoyment through the great threads I've seen on this board as well my own passion. I was never able to get the game back in the day but play it at my friends. The love stayed with me to this day, where real life has taken over, house, wife, 2 year son and another due soon.

I'm more known for my very thought out ideas and 40k wackey conversions, such as my all deffkopta bike army, My Grot Rebellion Buggies.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC14433.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	188670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC11825.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	188671
    or my solo models just coz I had a idea like my Nurgle Libarian in Terminator Armour or my WordBearer truescale model I just had to produce.

Name:	Nurglefinished015.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	188664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nurglefinished008.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	188665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nurgle008.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	188666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	models169.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	188668

My actual hobby modelling started on my Quest project was two weeks ago, so all my work you will see is back logged for now, till the green starts rolling back in. However what I have been doing for the last two years (slowly, bit by bit) like so many before me on this forum is design and created my own cards for quest. The main reason is each time I got my hands on cards from ebay they were either fake or stuck on card with pva glue. I never had much luck, I was a art student back in college so I decided to work on my own cards using images from google, and a close friend (he knows who he is) files to get the actual look as close to the quest feel that I could get & I would be happy with.

My project will be Quest or Quest to how I see it, my quest 3D board I'm going to make will keep the feel of the quest game but will be... little different to all other amazing projects I have seen on this forum. which I'm glad as well in respect. I couldn't really think of what dungeon I wanted to produce. Whatever project I would undertake, would be a themed dungeon at first I was going to do a ice palace with orcs in furs and earmuffs, then a dark forest of beastmen, then a vampire counts castle, sewers of morheim with skaven. Or Savage orcs jungle themed, even Tomb Kings but a lot of these ideas were taken by others or the idea didnt have a strong enough vibe for me and I didn't want to go down the same route.( No point looking at two similar themed dungeons.) Then three things when put together settled the argument, a D&D display board, the last white dwarf armies on parade and the Black Library Book "Skarsnik" really got the balls rolling on this project.

Name:	CavernDisplayArt1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	188661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CavernDisplayArt.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	188662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3040039.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	188660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3040044.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	188663

I wanted to do a themed dungeon and the characterful night goblins seem to just click for me. Creepy critters plus trolls and a bunch of night goblins I felt would be a focus approach at least to start with. I was inspired by Eboli's WHQ 3D Egyptian Dungeon and after a small conversation on the hirst art molds I was convinced this is the road for me. I found dungeoncastings a uk hirst arts mold maker which I brought a chunk of cavern bits pre-made from him(easier than making them for me with a little one around and only time to hobby is ten at night). Great customer service if you ever try them out, very helpful. Hope I haven't bored u all, hope you got the jist of what I want to do & going forward I doubt a type this much again in a single post lol.
    <

Re: "Remember, we just here for the loot" A Warhammer Quest Tale

I wanted to make it a proper board so I had made 8 boards of 10mm mdf, all board would link up 7 be standard measuring 6 x 6 40mm gws tiles as I wanted the tiles to be that size to play on and then the objective board being 12 x 6. when the parcel arrived it was very well package and the contents was great... well to me anyways. I started to test the placement of the tiles when I found to my puzzlement that the tiles are not 40mm as they intended to be. I could of had the boards recut to the 36mm that they are but I was to anxious and thought I could fix this so It measure that the last tile was 50ish so I used other tiles pieces that i ordered to fill in the gap.

Name:	P2260382.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	188680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2250346.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	188683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2250353.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	188681

Name:	P2250349.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	188682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260383.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	188679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2270385.jpg 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	188685

Name:	P2250355.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	188686
    I wanted the whole Quest experience to be personal to me so its been taking me awhile as you only get 8 dice in a tin, I been collecting the mines of moria dice with the dwarf rune which the number 1 is shaped like a B, not only coz the dice look cool but my last name begins with a B so I thought it suited my idea. I also been able to get untouched game critters on ebay more in the post and I be putting touches to my boards with different bits of scenery pieces like these snails I was able to get.

Name:	P3060034.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	188688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260381.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	188684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2160034.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	188687
    <

Ok like I have said I have been messing around with trying to make the cards of Quest since I have had bad luck, getting actual game cards and just to let you know I don't reget it, although it taken me a long time I really enjoy it. I have remade cards from the game as well as my own rule wise for cards I cant find and cards from the app game by rodeo of Warhammer Quest. If they don't make sense i.e my Squig Hopper idea please let me know, their not perfect, I just wanted to have a go. The files are too big apparently and im no wiz at trying to reduce them so I have given links to my photobucket page so you can see them. The Spell, Event and Character Record sheets are all game orginal description rules wise I just tweak the background as I couldn't get originals and added to character sheet as I wanted faith and blessings on the sheet.
    http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/Ri...tml?sort=3&o=0 Squig Hopper Monster Card
    http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/Ri...tml?sort=3&o=1 Fist of Iron Spell Card
    http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/Ri...tml?sort=3&o=2 Falling Block Event Card
    http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/Ri...tml?sort=3&o=3 Character Record Sheet
    <

Heres some items I've got along the way from the last three weeks. I didn't know till last week about the terrain basing set had these little gems. I knew it had rocks and the green nercon crystals but I had no idea bout these pieces. Playing the Rodeo Quest game, got me liking the gigantic spider and I thought the lotr spiders would fit nicely I wanted them to look like they just came down from the ceiling on their web, so I got 8 altogether. The gws Night goblin box set which I will be purchasing soon , comes with 20 bodies and 16 sets of bows, spears and swords, seem a waist to let the spare arms go to unused. If I bought two boxes I be in the same boat. So I bought spare bodies and shields off ebay to get the full used out of one box. I did want to use the plastic fanatics, but when these came up on ebay I knew I had to have them and being one piece and fits on one tile I thought would be better for bases alignment.

Name:	P2260359.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	188690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260372.jpg 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	188698

Name:	P2260361.jpg 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	188691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260362.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	188692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260363.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	188693

Name:	P2260365.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	188694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260366.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	188695

Name:	P2260367.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	188696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260371.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	188697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260378.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	188699
    <

Loving it, my own goal is to have a cavern for Night Goblins to raid from and get raided in. Really looking forward to seeing your project evolve!

- Seb
    [Eastern Empire] [The Scythes][Warhammer Quest]
    Tau, Marines and Warhammer Quest Adventures.

<

Nice project! I love a terrain project with such a clear theme and focus! (I'm still very undecided about my own terrain's theme, I seem to be stuck in the "I want it all" phase of planning....)

And thank you for bringing that basing kit to my attention, I never realized it had such cool bits!
    Games Workshop's cunning plans: Now with 50% more turnip!

[Modhail's Meanderings, a blog]
    <

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing how the multi-level aspect comes out.
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: Marital Matches & Terrain Tales
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it
    <

Hi thanks for replies Shas'EL Tael,
    Modhail- I was in that phase a long time and really had a idea for all even a fimir themed dungeon. and the basing kit I never knew it was so good. Thanks as well to S_A_T_S- I'm hoping it brings a atmospshere to the board of a cavern theme.
    I'm gonna raise the actual playing field so no one can knock the terrain, but I found from real pics that stagmite caverns paths are rasied and slope away anyway.
    <

So this was my first mock up of tiles that I tried and very happy with the result, I just underestimated the amount of walls for one tile. I thought two sets would be enough but for 2.50 a set I'm happy to spend a bit more so when I do my next order I know I got one complete board of tiles. not glued down yet as I'm thinking I might do something different for a straight.. they stack up well, I still wanted that original board feel which is why the slope is on all four sides of the path as the original cardboard tiles has a black rim around the path. if my head idea works when the place all the boards together the terrain would fit together to form a random placement that would effectively work with what ever board is place next to it (At least I hope). mock up of the pieces from the terrain set. and manage to get my Grey Wizard. As I mention before I was going to do a undead dungeon necromancer why I got the skulls but not sure how to use them at the moment. and my hostage. long shot idea but I think I can make it work.

Name:	P2280399.jpg 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	188789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2270387.jpg 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	188790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2270391.jpg 
Views:	102 
ID:	188791

Name:	P2270392.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	188792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2270393.jpg 
Views:	91 
ID:	188793

Name:	P2270394.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	188794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2270395.jpg 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	188795

Name:	P2260377.jpg 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	188788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260376.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	188787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260379.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	188786
    <

Looks really good. I'm a bit confused though, is every tile going to be on one of these squares, because if so your dungeon is going to be massive. (Can you walk about the stalactites or only on the raised areas?

Also, and I really hope it's not to late to mention this, but what wood are you using as a base. When I first started making my tiles I tried using thin mdf and floorboard tiles and I found that once glue had been applied they warped a bit - nothing drastic really but enough to look bad when trying to have pieces which are meant to slot together seamlessly (hence why I moved to resin)

They do look good though, I can't wait to see them with a bit of paint on!
    <

Hi all,

Daemonslave thanks for your thoughts, but you need not worry although thank you for your concern. At the hobby shop I go to, I measured the table for which they use in the shop and there's a clear - elbow to wrist - space between the board and table edge all the way round 3 x 3 of my boards. the games be playing will not have more than 7 cards before the objective room, so it gives more quests and game time to play as the hobby shop is very propular down Swansea. As for walking it is going to be on the raise areas but open to ideas of some sort of house rule about being pushed off the path and using the rule lost in the dark just like the game rules of not being on the same board as the lantern.

The Wood am using is 10mm thick mdf I saw 8 and 6 but wanted a solid base so I went for ten am using no nails to glue them together as glue does not work believe me I've tried. Also as for pieces to slot up together of the same size I move the actually path off the edge of the board so there's a little bit of gap between the paths when they meet up, very small but when painted these small lines will be purely painted black to represent the edge of the unknown next tile, so its the door in game but is the shadow on my board before the lantern is moved onto the next by the party.

I'm worried about the painting as I'm bad at well painting lol in general but at matching up tones. thinking of painting it in one big bash for the colours all match up. but if I get bored or spare money I will tackle the boards before I do the models. again its to find a place to paint as I know my wife will be worried bout me painting (reason why is because she has seen me at painting our house lol.
    <

So I decided to hold off with the straight for now as I got one or two different ideas. so I went for the corner instead. Everything you see besides the plastic is now glued down. I broke some of the smaller pieces off to make different levels which you can clearly so in pic 4 and pic 7 where I used it to make a higher level for the terrain. when I order the next batch I will also order another wall set as well to finish off this one.

Name:	P2280402.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	188871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2280406.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	188872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2280407.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	188873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010427.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	188874

Name:	P3010428.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	188875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010429.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	188876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010430.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	188877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010432.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	188878
    <

Looking great mate, really come along leaps and bounds since i last saw the tiles in person. Ill happily help you with the painting side if needed mind.
    Looking for Terminator Deathwatch shoulder pads if anyone has any ill buy em or trade em!

Trade log......http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269490
    <

Smashing, I like the look of your boards, very different. The built up surround will give them a real feel of "cave-ness". Look forward to seeing them painted.
    <

Hi all
    thanks Daxio and I know you help with the painting peterjameslewis711, I'm gonna need someone to help me keep on track when the time comes lol. Some more up close clips of the terrain I be starting the River Trolls tonight let you know how I get on. Has anyone had a look at the cards I done? any comments?

Name:	P3010429.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	188932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010432.jpg 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	188933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010430.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	188934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010431.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	188935
    <

Well I started my river trolls and I never knew the legs were so awkward to put together. I wanted the trolls to be squat on each base but that wasn't meant to be. I cut away the straps as I wanted them to look as wild and natural as possible, so here are two of three bodies so far.

Name:	P3020002.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	189020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3020003.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	189021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030010.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	189022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030011.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	189023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030017.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	189024

Name:	P3030018.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	189025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030019.jpg 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	189026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030023.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	189027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030025.jpg 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	189028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030026.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	189029
    <

I have to admit I really like the river trolls, even if their pain to put together. I really like the nature of my last one, mainly because it was design like that, hunch over its freshly caught fish.

Name:	P3030028.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	189220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3040031.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	189218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3040032.jpg 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	189217

Name:	P3040033.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	189216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3040035.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	189215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030030.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	189219

Name:	P3040037.jpg 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	189214

Also this is the first of my stone trolls I be using, again I wanted three different stances and this iconic troll from skull pass will suit nicely. just a little work on the dwarf statue, good job its plastic. The other two are mail order only, so they will have to wait. I already decided that I wanted a room called the Spider's Lair seems only rite to decorate it as such lol.

Name:	P3060024.jpg 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	189212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3050018.jpg 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	189213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3050019.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	189211
    <

And here are the finish pics along with the only two heroes to got to my name so far. A Dwarf Miner and a Grey Wizard.
    Really taken the first one, why I wanted them in anyway, the other two are good arms are going to be a pain squaring them up to other monster bases.

Name:	P3060025.jpg 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	189225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3060027.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	189226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3060029.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	189227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3060030.jpg 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	189228
    <

Hi all not much has happen but some small impulse buys, my time and money is being put to these two. This project will be slow for awhile as my darling wife is due soon but the game and project we still be here when I get back to it.

Name:	P3220139.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	190055

Anyway I manage to pick up some spiders from the Big Spider Box set in the orcs and goblins range to further complete my Spiders Lair, I also manage to grab the skull pass Goblins Archers and a box of normal ones. I will be doing a campaign once it is up and running so I manage to grab a box of mighty empires as well. Making a different aspect to the game. and I got my second cave troll with club. along with a pic of my first in my dungeon.

Name:	P3200115.jpg 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	190054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3170098.jpg 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	190053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3070021.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	190052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3070020.jpg 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	190051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3060031.jpg 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	190050
    <

Brother Sergeant

Hey there Richard, it looks like you have got off to a great start. Humbled to read that you mentioned my 3D dungeon as encouragement. Lessons I have learnt is that you really need to set some goals and deadlines for your project. I have not and it has been over 2 years since I started and have yet to finish. Still have about another 5 pieces to go before I feel I can have a good variety and then there is the painting of the mass amount of themed figures I have...

SET GOALS!!!

Keep up the great effort and this reminds me that I should get back to my project - winter is coming here so I have no excuse.

Cheers!
    Eboli.
    <

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast