Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer Quest : Mission To complete

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Warhammer Quest : Mission To complete

I'm still a bit unsure how to paint faces very well, especially eyes. Ive left the barbarian blank faced for now until i get some tips
    As for the monsters, I was generally pleased with how they turned out. It surprised me how poor some of the details were on the heroquest figures compared to models these days, in particular the boots on pretty much all of the monsters had no detail at all on them, so i just did the best i could! The camera flash doesn't exactly bring out the best in these figures, however, I will try to take daylight photos from now on.

Please let me know what i can improve on with my painting, I can take a bit of criticism !

The other 3 heroes from HQ are half done ( the bottom pic shows my inspiration for the colours) as you can see in the photos, couple more bits of furniture, and its the whole set done in less than 2 months!

Hopefully my next update will include the first few figures from WQ. Ive got the rats and bats primed ready to start on first, so any tips on painting those will be greatly appreciated also. Got to up my painting game a little bit now im gonna be starting the proper set

Veteran Sergeant

Making great progress.

Your paintings coming on great, couple of tips. Try using inks more and avoid drybrushing. Use a couple of different ink tones and they will really help to pick out the recess and show off the raised areas. then go back and pick out some edges and raised areas with your base colours, then just tickle the edges with a highlight. The more shades you use the smoother they will look. The only criticism i would make and its not much of one is it looks like your paint might be a bit on the thick side, aim for the consistency of full fat milk and build up coats, you will find that using the paint thinner helps smooth out your highlights too.

Keep at it its great to see your progress.

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by twchdyn View Post
    Making great progress.

Your paintings coming on great, couple of tips. Try using inks more and avoid drybrushing. Use a couple of different ink tones and they will really help to pick out the recess and show off the raised areas. then go back and pick out some edges and raised areas with your base colours, then just tickle the edges with a highlight. The more shades you use the smoother they will look. The only criticism i would make and its not much of one is it looks like your paint might be a bit on the thick side, aim for the consistency of full fat milk and build up coats, you will find that using the paint thinner helps smooth out your highlights too.

Keep at it its great to see your progress.
    You are absolutely correct, I do use my paint straight from the pot lid usually! My usual painting steps are : prime > basecoat > super wash or ink wash > heavy drybrush > edge highlight.

I usually thin my paint a tiny bit when edge highlighting but thats the only time.......... i guess i thought i could get away with it but il try to stop being lazy!
    Do you think i would get better results by using a thin layer of paint rather than heavy drybrushing it for the first highlight?

thanks for the help twchdyn

Veteran Sergeant

Just try without the drybrushing and spend a couple of extra minutes on the highlights. I know its tempting to give things a quick tickle with the drybrush. I promise once you get used to using your paint thin and building up colours it will take your painting to the next level.

Veteran Sergeant

I did the space marine and BloodThirster without dry brushing ^_^ didn't think they turned out as good but probably because I need more practice and thinner paint like you said..... maybe the photos say different but I don't know I find it hard to judge my own work!

In other news, this project might of become just a tiny little bit out of hand already......although my original missions still stand I have added some additional stuff to the list:
    1. Obtain an original copy of Warhammer Quest.
    2. Practice on Black Reach + HeroQuest minis/furniture. the latter to be used in games of WQ eventually.
    3. Paint Warhammer Quest base game minis.
    4. Obtain Monster Table Level 1-10 minis.
    5. Obtain Lair of the Orc Lord and Catacombs of Terror.
    6. Obtain All additional character packs
    7. Obtain extras such as Deathblow/White dwarf rules and minis to go with.
    8. PAINT THAT **** UP!

Haha wish me luck, I know this is no easy task to say the least but I have gone ahead and made a substantial start on gathering all this stuff together. my rough timescales at the minute are to have the core set finished by end of October at the latest, and the monster level tables obtained by Christmas. I'll post some pics of the stuff I have been buying soon.

Ive finished HQ now and can post some pics of the finished lot when I get round to taking some more, but I think you all pretty much got the idea. I have now made a start on painting the WQ base set and I'm currently halfway through all 12 rats.
    Artful.

Good luck with that list, especially number 3.

Another thing you need to do though, is 9 - Build your own 3d dungeon - it's the in thing - all us cool kids are doing it!

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    Good luck with that list, especially number 3.

Another thing you need to do though, is 9 - Build your own 3d dungeon - it's the in thing - all us cool kids are doing it!
    HAHA, whats one more to the list eh?

Your list is similar to mine. Altho I've painted my base game minis. Good luck. I will be following your progress.

Veteran Sergeant

Here are some rat pictures :-

I am going to need to decide on some bases soon, nothing really looks finished without them! anyone know of any cheap resin ones??? Aside from finishing the rats, and making a start on a couple of bats, I have mainly been buying up miniatures like crazy. I'm only missing 2 entries from the 1st level on the monster table (some are stand-ins like Mantic Orcs in place of Savage Orcs, and Mantic skeletons etc..) and Overall I probably now have about 50% of the models needed for all 10 Levels. The ones that I have left to collect are all the expensive ones like Dragons and Greater Daemons. So in money terms I've probably spent about 30% of the total spend needed. Not Cool, cause let me tell you, it has cost a small fortune even to get this far with cheap stand-ins ( as many of you will probably know!!!)
    Thats all for now
    -Artful

Chaplain

For bases for my WHQ stuff I just use cheap washers with some business cards cut up to make shattered stones and a bit of sand. Painted grey and drybrushed and then a touch of green flock.
    I do the same for my WHQ characters but I use proper bases for them. A bit of additional height to make them more obvious.
    http://gwpertinent.blogspot.com - A blog to do with all things GW pertinent I'm toying with.

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by natsirtm View Post
    For bases for my WHQ stuff I just use cheap washers with some business cards cut up to make shattered stones and a bit of sand. Painted grey and drybrushed and then a touch of green flock.
    I do the same for my WHQ characters but I use proper bases for them. A bit of additional height to make them more obvious.
    thanks for the idea natsirtm, I will give that a go and see what it comes out like ^_^ nice page btw! I thought my mission was pretty tough, without thorough reading yet, it seems like your collecting everything for every game, not just WHQ lol. great stuff!

Veteran Sergeant

Have a crack at casting your own. Its really easy and you will never run out. Get a pot of rtv silicone from ebay for your moulds. You dont really need expensive polyurethane resin for bases. I use polyester resin for mine. My dungeon bases mould has 8 bases on and it takes about 20 minutes for the resin to cure, so its quick too. Cost wise it works out less than 5p per base.

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by twchdyn View Post
    Have a crack at casting your own. Its really easy and you will never run out. Get a pot of rtv silicone from ebay for your moulds. You dont really need expensive polyurethane resin for bases. I use polyester resin for mine. My dungeon bases mould has 8 bases on and it takes about 20 minutes for the resin to cure, so its quick too. Cost wise it works out less than 5p per base.
    have just had a look on ebay at the stuff you suggested. I didnt see much of a price difference between polyurethane and polyester kits, whats the difference? I know very little about casting anything, never seen it or tried it ( having said that I did used to use fibreglass resin to repair motorhomes in a previous job, but that was 10 years ago lol ) gonna have to do alot of research on this! thanks for the distraction twchdyn :-D

This is cool! How di you make the paint rack? Did you drill all those holes? its really good!

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
    This is cool! How di you make the paint rack? Did you drill all those holes? its really good!

Thanks Andy! Yes i drilled all the holes with a circular drill bit. because its cheap MDF, I had to drill half way through and turn it over and go from the other side to stop it from ripping bits off. Ended up sticking 2 bits of wood together, which meant I drilled 600 holes!

Wow! Top drilling skills- worth the effort as result is excellent

Andy T's Necromunda Plog

Warhammer Quest : Mission To complete

Also have you considered cork tiles for the floor? ( like in that deathblow magazine article which I ripped off! )

Andy T's Necromunda Plog

Veteran Sergeant

Still reading your necromunda plog, got to page 2 now o_O ..........
    haven't thought about cork yet, do you do square bases or just round ones ^_^?

Loving the rats...those old sculpts hold up well and the painting is nice and varied.

Veteran Sergeant

These minis are such a massive improvement on the HQ stuff. Painting them was good fun even though they are only rats! cracking through the bats and spiders now but can't decide on black spider legs, or colour matched to the bodies of them ( done in same variety as rats ). My horde of monsters is also building up at a stupid rate. The building que is now an entire wardrobe full of boxes of miniatures....... daunting!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast