Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Enchanted Forest modular

The Enchanted Forest modular

This is a little project of mine, in which I'm trying to create a modular forest for the purposes of WHQ (or really modified Hero Quest for a group of friends that don't have much experience with games of the sort). The Enchanted Forest follows WHQ in what comes to tiles. Each road (tunnel) tile is made of 15x15 cm board and each opening (room) tile of a 20x20 cm board (or 20x20 + 20x20 in some cases).

The idea is that the group often has to travel through an enchanted forest, maybe Athel Loren, to get to various dungeons. The journey through the forest is an adventure of its own. Sometimes, there is a pre-made map of what the forest is like. Sometimes tiles will be drawn at random. There are planned or random events connected with each tile, like meeting a traveling merchant, getting ambushed by bandits, stumbling into an abandoned, haunted graveyard, facing a river troll while crossing a bridge and so on. I'll detail these rules later in the thread if I manage to get the project physically forward first.

Here you can see an example of a road tile (road goes straight) I've been working with. I'm using 0,5 cm foam board over hardboard. Rocks and additional height differences are made using 2 cm or thicker styrofoam. I've also got two Citadel Woods to cover the trees themselves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ready1.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	487.2 KB 
ID:	193523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ready3.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	193524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail1.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	193525

The initial setup will be 3 straight road tiles, one turning road, one forking road and one road where path ends. For clearing (room) tiles I will make the beginning/end of a forest, graveyard, and a hill made of two 20x20 pieces. This is what I'm starting with. If the project kicks off well, I might be adding things like elven waystone, ruins, roadside inn, more road tiles and so on.

Some in-production pictures of the first road tile:

Name:	process1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	379.3 KB 
ID:	193526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	354.0 KB 
ID:	193527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	process2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	425.1 KB 
ID:	193528

Name:	process3.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	448.1 KB 
ID:	193529

Initial drybrush for the rocks

Name:	process4.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	193530

Muddy ground waiting to be flocked

Name:	process5.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	445.6 KB 
ID:	193531

Joining up with an unfinished turning road tile

I'm novice in making terrain so this whole project is mainly practice work for me. I'm pretty satisfied with how the rocks turned out, but the flocking needs some work... As this is "an enchanted forest", it doesn't necessarily need to look too realistic, but I'm still not quite happy with how it is. I'm also thinking whether I should fill the gaps of the road with sand. Now the idea was that the trail is rather elusive and filled with growth.

Questions and comments are very welcome!
    Last edited by Nychthemeron; 19-05-2014 at 10:18.

Brother Sergeant

Re: The Enchanted Forest modular

If you want 2 more ideas for your forest......you can take a look at 2 tiles I created for my forest set..........there's only 2 rooms at present but might give you some extra ideas.

http://quests-of-legend.weebly.com/board-sections.html

Thanks for the ideas! I might well be interested in doing something akin "the Faerie Ring" and perhaps even some swamp tiles along the idea of the "quick mud" later.

Hi great start I was looking into doing a forest theme dungeon myself using fantascape forest bases and the mirco art tree as it didn't cover a lot of the base so you have a better view. I hope this helps I found if you put one to a tile and fallen logs opposite. once the dungeon takes shape with three or four tiles it does to appear to look like a forest and still able to clearly see the models. forget I said anything if it is no help. really like the way you started. subbed

Questing in a forest? That's a great idea!
    I'll be keeping track or your project...
    Games Workshop's cunning plans: Now with 50% more turnip!

[Modhail's Meanderings, a blog]

Thanks for the comments, guys! Glad you're interested in the project.

Here you can see some drybrushing on the 3 WIP pieces. I'll post some more pictures when these are ready. You can also see some round-based rock formations that are meant to be used as an alternative to the trees on more rocky terrain.

Name:	drybrush1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	462.5 KB 
ID:	193746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drybrush2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	456.0 KB 
ID:	193747

very nice, check out ebay the broken tree branch covered in spiders from the orcs and goblins big ass spider box is being sold thought would add some character for you. are you going to theme the monsters around a certain area like beastmen or vary like dryads dark elf raiders and bandits?

I want to build rather than buy, Richard. So I'm avoiding kits, bases and such as far as possible. Citadel Wood set is a necessary exception. As for monsters, there should be plenty of variety. Human bandits, wood elves, dryads, undead, wolves, even a minotaur. To be added: a river troll for the bridge crossing tile, and possibly some more mythical woodlands creatures like an eagle or a unicorn. Possibly more at some point. I'm trying to get started with a rather limited and quick stock.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the ready four tiles arranged in a couple different ways. Cliffs you see in the background just for the effect are familiar from my other thread.

Name:	big10.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	193808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	four1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	193809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	four3.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	193810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big7.jpg 
Size:	481.1 KB 
ID:	193811

Chaplain

equally as good as your other thread. subbed to this too!
    http://gwpertinent.blogspot.com - A blog to do with all things GW pertinent I'm toying with.

Brother Sergeant

Looking really nice!

that's fare enough im the opposite due to my situation. The boards look sweet together cant wait to see the bridge ****

Here is a better look at the rock formations. I made their bases equal-sized to the Citadel Wood trees, so that they can be used in this modular anywhere as an alternative to a tree - when there is no tree available, or when I want to make the terrain slightly more open or rocky.

They are made of just waste chunks of foam, coated with thinned and textured Elmer's glue and painted. They turned out nicer than I thought.

Name:	rocks1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	464.9 KB 
ID:	194003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocks2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	453.4 KB 
ID:	194004

Love the work Nychthemeron, this is definitely enchanting.

Brill.
    I am planning a set of wilderness quest tiles too.
    This is great inspiration.
    Fantastic start. Can't wait to see more.
    Founding father of J.A.D.E.D. Jerks Against Directors Extraordinary Decisions.
    My Project Log "This week I have mostly been painting ...."
    My other log of Vintage stuff: "A Blast from the Past"
    You might also like: "'Ere be Giants"

I was thinking about doing some sort of graveyard type tile as an objective room but seeing yours makes me want to do others as well. I may have to pinch some of your ideas here, I like the swampy / forrest theme going on here and having removable trees and stones is very clever. Keep it coming mate so I can nick more of your ideas!

Thanks for the good word! Always appreciated, especially when coming from guys who have some stunningly good-looking projects of their own. Free feel to get inspired - I'm rather curious to see different versions of the same idea. For some reason, Questing in the wilderness hasn't been very popular this far. Time to change it!

I've been busy with other stuff, but I do have two "clearing tiles" (rooms) in progress. Some pictures incoming once I get painting and flocking them.

Some work-in-progress. Two clearing tiles (20x20), one featuring the beginning or an end of a forest (or if joined with the cliff piece, an entrance to a dungeon) and a little rocky hill. Plus some more road tiles in the background. All in painting and to be flocked.

Name:	hill1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	403.2 KB 
ID:	194638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	194639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill3.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	194640

Some progress! I finished the WIP above, and painted some woodlands-related minis. Some images of the latter later. But here are the terrain pieces: a small rocky hill and the beginning/end.

Name:	end1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	487.0 KB 
ID:	194895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	end2.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	194896
    The beginning/end of the forest - and how it can be turned to a dungeon entrance

Name:	hill2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	457.9 KB 
ID:	194897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill4.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	463.4 KB 
ID:	194898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	over2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	480.8 KB 
ID:	194899
    The fully flocked and painted hill along with other pieces

Name:	king2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	475.9 KB 
ID:	194900
    "King of the hill"

Some theme shots: dwarfs and wood elves fighting over the hill. From the last picture you can see that although the hill is not particularly large, it is rather steep from the miniature angle. In Mordheim, the troops could probably scale it, but it's still a lot easier to follow the stone-covered path leading around the top. In HeroQuest and WHQ, you of course need to follow the path, too.

Name:	battle3.jpg 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	194917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battle4.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	194918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battle2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	484.8 KB 
ID:	194919

These are looking great Nychthemeron, the more of them on the table the better they look. They link nicely together and give loads of height to the game, impressive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast