Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Enchanted Forest modular

Re: The Enchanted Forest modular

very nice - it all fits together well and has a really nice vibe to it.

Just a slight suggestion though, maybe add a little bit of grass to the tree base so that that blends in too (just a nit pick - feel free to ignore me like everyone else )

That might do the trick indeed, thanks.

In any case, here's one more themed picture. The elven scouts are investigating activity at an abandoned dungeon entrance... and find it well-guarded!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minotaur1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	406.4 KB 
ID:	195199

Veteran Sergeant

I love your work, it looks so fairytale and twisted.

Thanks, twchdyn!

I've been working on a couple more tiles, particularly this bridge, but also quick mud pit and graveyard. Will toss in some more pictures when they're about ready.

Name:	bridge1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	196201
    Bridge in progress

Very nice, like the detail in stone work, you gonna use water effect or paint for water?

As you know, I'm not a fan of commercial solutions, so I was thinking of just painting water over a thin layer of elmer's glue. We'll see how it goes. I'm no expert whatsoever in this area.

This is just a small bridge, wide enough for two. It's designed so that a GW river troll or similar monster can block it entirely, for a possible encounter.

Name:	bridge2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	196299
    Minotaur claiming the bridge

Name:	bridge3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	445.2 KB 
ID:	196300
    Swords at dawn

And here is the rather finished bridge. This must be my favorite of the Enchanted Forest tiles so far, even though it is very, very simple. Water is simply the bottom of the river painted blue and covered with a thin layer of Elmer's glue. Obviously no water effects or anything. Originally I was going to blend the water towards a green shade, but was so satisfied with how the blue turned out that I left it like that.

Name:	bridge1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	196436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	196437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge8.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	416.8 KB 
ID:	196440

Name:	bridge3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	459.0 KB 
ID:	196438
    Elf lady is having some quality time with her pet dragon

Name:	bridge4.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	466.8 KB 
ID:	196439
    Troll slayer is having some quality time with the minotaur

Name:	bridge6.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	196441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge7.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	196442
    A mercenary band meets a skaven ambush head-on at the bridge

Edit: The obligatory Fanatic Wizard added.
    Last edited by Nychthemeron; 06-07-2014 at 22:33.

Very nice set up Nychthemeron, and just to let you know im no expert either with water effects and stuff like that. The forest is coming alive. will you be making additional river tiles to blend in with the bridge?

Additional river tiles? That's a big maybe. The idea is that the characters have to follow the path (otherwise they get lost in the enchanted forest - just like with the lantern rule of WHQ), so making additional river tiles would be somewhat counterproductive, unless, of course, the road would follow the river.

Then again, a longer river would be visually nice to have around. I was planning to make some forest-without-road tiles anyway just for the looks. I will have to think about it.

Simply spectacular work!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Nychthemeron I never meant to throw you off your guard, I fully knew what you intended with the board before you even mention the lantern rule as it is what I was intending if I did the forest board but I chose the cavern one instead. Bare with me am not good with graphics so picture the picture(god im crap with words) as a 3x3 tiles that the game has progress that far. The tiles are standard size and the bottom left is a objective size room to make the look of the river going off somewhere off the board, you have stepping stones for a path and a river tile in the middle to complete the look. Its worth considering as it would look good however you do it river or plain forest. Well done so far.

Name:	752cec56-6591-4263-b179-af5e2afce286.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	196521

That is an interesting sketch and an idea! I could very well go with something like this, as it would only require making 2-3 more river tiles, including the one with stepping stones. I was considering a "more difficult" river passing anyway, and the stepping stones could involve a skill test or the use of a rope.

Besides, it would give an excuse to do a couple more river tiles, which was pretty fun stuff to do.

'Besides, it would give an excuse to do a couple more river tiles, which was pretty fun stuff to do'

That's what its all about at the end of the day, arraagh I'm giving away secrets here, fine a harder crossing I already thought of again for my forest idea which by the way I might still do for my cavern theme but would suit a forest more. its a three tier waterfall (objective size tile) you would need a little height or it could just be a fast stream with rocks at each level which a character could cling to and get off at that path crossing.

Anyway the idea I had with height was the crossing takes place on the top level. each warrior crosses on a roll of 1 3 or 5 the warrior losses its footing and goes down a level. on a 4 5 or 6 the warrior stops at the lower level if they get 1 2 or 3 fail they fall down another. Ech level is like a T-junction you put D3 dungeon cards next to each level crossing. this brings solo play into the game

Name:	32c33288-0b27-4302-ae68-d425d974e64c.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	196602

I gave my trees some base-flocking, like suggested. Here's a little arrangement - a forest trail circling the edge of a cemetery.

Name:	cemetery1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	412.5 KB 
ID:	197243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cemetery2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	379.4 KB 
ID:	197244

Looking good Nychthemeron, very atmospheric, its all pulling together well. Have you played on it yet?

Not yet, although now I have enough pieces to be actually do that. Hopefully get to testing this summer.

Meanwhile, I got bitten by the Mordheim bug again, and have been busy working with a couple buildings. I intend to make some sort of connection tile - a road leading into the city - to be able to combine the projects.

Look forward to that Nychthemeron sounds like a smashing idea, love the idea of joining themes/games/settings all together.
    You'll have to do a report to let us know how your play testing goes

Here's a little combination of this project and the second one in my signature: arrival to the inn! Weary travelers stumble from the wilderness to a roadside inn. Warm, cozy and welcoming, or cold, abandoned and mysterious?

Name:	road1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	201028

It's been a long time from the last update of this project. But I finally made some progress! I made a couple new tiles (3 river pieces and 2 empty forest squaers). I also added a troll for a river encounter. After finishing it, I noticed that the bugger's base is too big to fit to the bridge! Oh well. I suppose the troll can assault its victims next to the bridge as well as on it.

Name:	river1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	203528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	422.3 KB 
ID:	203529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troll1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	203530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troll2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	486.8 KB 
ID:	203531

You may also notice that I flocked - at some point - the bases of the trees as suggested earlier!

This project should see its playtest soon. I'll try to post some pictures when that happens.

Love the way these look Nychthemeron, would be a joy to play on, looking forward to seeing everything all laid out together.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast