Thread: End Times Fluff, Where to Start?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Veteran Sergeant Lamont Cranston's Avatar

End Times Fluff, Where to Start?

I am starting to read the fluff for Fantasy now that the End Times books are out. I have the Nagaash and Glottkin rule books, but I havenít started the fluff books (Canít remember if they are the Book I or Book II in the sets) that came with them yet because I didnít know if there were books that I should read first? Also I see that there are also actual books for these as well, are those just the same as the fluff book that came with the rules or is it something else that I need to get as well?
    "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows."

Re: End Times Fluff, Where to Start?

I'm glad someone else is getting confused with this.

I'd like to see a complete list of all end times related books and what order to read them in.

I'm sure I read somewhere it started with Sigmar's Heirs?
    Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011 :cries:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimstonefire View Post
    I'm glad someone else is getting confused with this.

I'd like to see a complete list of all end times related books and what order to read them in.

I'm sure I read somewhere it started with Sigmar's Heirs?
    I would think you mean Sigmar's Blood as it's more recent. But that's the tie between storm of chaos and end times
    Proudly servicing the Warseer community with eccentric, if not foolhardy comments since December 30th, 2013.

My 8th Edition Homage (and SDE) Blog

It's Nagash first followed by Glottkin and then Khaine. My first response was going to be "don't they'll force you into bankruptcy." but you've already got the books so it's too late I think.
    There aint nowt a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer canīt achive.-Old Redmane

Visit my dwarfs at http://kazad-grund.webs.com/

Veteran Sergeant

I don't think he meant which of those three comes first, but if he needs to read books before hand. I was wondering the same thing.
    "Look, its like I told my last wife, I said, Honey, I never drive faster than I can see, and besides... it's all in the reflexes." -Jack Burton

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    I don't think he meant which of those three comes first, but if he needs to read books before hand. I was wondering the same thing.
    You don't. Nagash works without reading Sigmar's Blood which is the supposed tie in. Haven't read Sigmar's Blood and didn't miss anything.
    There aint nowt a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer canīt achive.-Old Redmane

Visit my dwarfs at http://kazad-grund.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Leogun_91 View Post
    You don't. Nagash works without reading Sigmar's Blood which is the supposed tie in. Haven't read Sigmar's Blood and didn't miss anything.
    I was about to argue that point with you, having thoroughly enjoyed Sigmar's blood. But you're right. As long as you know that "Mannfred wanted Volkmar, and he got him," you're caught up. But I really did enjoy it. You should read it anyway.
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

The End Times books basically explain or at least allude to what happened before them.

I don't have Sigmar's Blood, but presumably its covering Volkmar the Grim's invasion of Sylvania and the disastrous conclusion of his crusade which will explain in more detail why Volkmar is Mannfred's prisoner. Whereas reading Nagash will tell you that Volkmar got himself captured by Mannfred and then go from there.

The End Times series gives nods to tons of existing background but you don't need to have read everything to follow the story, only to fully savor the flavor.

You don't need to get the Black Library books. Think of them as companions to the campaign books. They're good reads and they complement the big campaign books, but they largely cover the same material albeit as a novel rather than as a narrative campaign book.

Like Return of Nagash is basically expanding on the first half of Warhammer: Nagash.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; 22-11-2014 at 06:50.
    Trying to figure out how to play 9th Age with round bases...

Its kinda been stated before but the order the end times books go in is actually Nagash, Glottkin and Khaine. Timeline wise Glottkin starts at the Battle of Heffegan and ends when Nagash finishes down south. I am not sure where Khaine fits in to the timeline at the moment but it probably starts during the Nagash book as well and probably ends around the same time as the other books. If I had to guess anyway.
    "Semper Fi" -Marine Corps

"Glory to Dorn and the Emperor!"

I've been a bit out of the loop of late, the novels they've released alongside the hardbacks, are they really worth reading? Do they add much to the story (no spoilers please)?

If I just read the big 3 (nagash/glottkin/khaine) would that cover pretty much everything?
    Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011 :cries:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimstonefire View Post
    I've been a bit out of the loop of late, the novels they've released alongside the hardbacks, are they really worth reading? Do they add much to the story (no spoilers please)?

If I just read the big 3 (nagash/glottkin/khaine) would that cover pretty much everything?
    Return of Nagash fills in the first few chapters with lots more details and goes into much more depth about how exactly Nagash's resurrection came about, but doesn't cover anything beyond the immediate aftermath of his resurrection. It does however expand a lot more on the motivations of all the characters involved and goes more into the backgrounds of the supporting cast.

The Fall of Altdorf provides a different point of view on events and again goes more into the motivations of the key players. It also gives different perspectives on some of the characters, particularly the new Supreme Patriarch who becomes a completely fleshed out character beyond the bare bones from the game books. Finally the epilogue explains the situation of the surviving human characters in the aftermath of the battle.

Mainly though the books are good for giving a lot more life for the characters involved, but they don't go much beyond the main books into the actual events themselves. So IMO they're very nice and make the story as a whole much better, but aren't required reading. There's also a number of inconsistencies where GW have changed their mind on something down the line, particularly in Fall of Altdorf (Gutrot Spume's alternative name is especially glaring).

Josh Reynolds and Chris Wraight are two of BLs better authors though and the stories themselves are good even as standalones.

Veteran Sergeant

Depends how far back you look.

The Orion trilogy shows he got touched by khaine and fell in a heap. Gotreks last book was set at the fall of Kislev, and he has a mighty doom approaching.

I think theyve been working on the end times longer than people think

Veteran Sergeant

i would recommend

8th edition army books fluff
    archaon: everchosen
    sigmar's blood
    the bone cage

Veteran Sergeant

Might not be the place to ask for this but is there any way to get the End Times fluff books without buying the rule book that comes along too ?

Since I don't play anymore because of lack of time and logistic reasons, I'm not really interested in the second book so kinda useless to buy it. I heard the BL books about End Times are worse than the background ones so I'm not to keen on getting those either.

Commander

Im also have a doubt about gotrek canon, seen the 9 and 10 book(orc slayer and manslayer) deals with archeron invasion of the old world, to the point Gotrek goes into a PSD when he miss the siege of middleheim, so everything that happen in those book is now non canon thanks to End times, dosent it?

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Razios View Post
    Im also have a doubt about gotrek canon, seen the 9 and 10 book(orc slayer and manslayer) deals with archeron invasion of the old world, to the point Gotrek goes into a PSD when he miss the siege of middleheim, so everything that happen in those book is now non canon thanks to End times, dosent it?
    The Gotrek "canon" is all over the place compared with the rest of the setting. The timeline was off even when the books were first published, by about ten years, and the opportunity was never taken to correct it either when the series was revived in 1999 or after Nathan Long took it over and inserted an IC gap. (Specifically, the Gotrek novels - in common with all the early Warhammer novels for some reason - have Karl Franz coming to the throne in 2492, whereas every other source uses 2502). I think at this point Gotrek and co. effectively exists in their own continuity which occasionally intersects with the main one.