Thread: Daemons killed on the mortal realm?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Daemons killed on the mortal realm?

So in the End Times so far, a few Daemons characters got killed during fights. Is there any consequences for them when they die on the mortal realm? Does it banish them for a while, or are they free to come back whenever they want/can? Or does it hurt them and they need to 'heal' back?

Always wondered if there was any drawback for them getting killed, or if it was more of an annoyance to them.
    Rest in Peace Tomb Kings. May you forever ride the desert of 8th edition!

Eight Edition for Life.

Re: Daemons killed on the mortal realm?

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
    So in the End Times so far, a few Daemons characters got killed during fights. Is there any consequences for them when they die on the mortal realm? Does it banish them for a while, or are they free to come back whenever they want/can? Or does it hurt them and they need to 'heal' back?

Always wondered if there was any drawback for them getting killed, or if it was more of an annoyance to them.
    After being cast back into the Realm of Chaos, it will take some time for a daemon to reform itself and regain its power. How long this will take depends on the power of the daemon (year and a day, century and a day, or some other symbolic interval).

Though they suffer no ill effects of the banishments, they do seem to be rather annoyed by them. Many a daemon swears eternal vengeance against the champion who banished it, or else his descendants. N'Kari really seems to hate Anarion and his offspring.

Of course, it could be that a daemon's banishement will cause its god to decide to reabsorb the daemon into itself, which will end its existence permanently. Though I cannot think of any examples of that happening.
    The guards of the great citadel of Azyrheim hear thunder in the distance, even though the sky is clear. The sound suddenly gets louder as a great green tide crests a nearby hill.
    "Orruks! Orruks! Orkus! Orkurs! Orsuk! Sukkor! Kusor!"
    "..."
    "Oi, Stuff dis!"
    "Orcs! Orcs! Orcs! Orcs! Orcs!"

Thanks for your answer
    Rest in Peace Tomb Kings. May you forever ride the desert of 8th edition!

Eight Edition for Life.

They just respawn in the warp, think like call of Duty, but with an insane amount of time to appear again

There is some interesting info about banishments in the description of the Sould Grinder in the Daemons of Chaos armybook. Here it is mentioned that banished daemons will enter into a pact with the Forge of Souls to be placed into a metal contraption, in order to avoid the 'oblivion' that would otherwise await them.

Apparently, being banished and losing (for a time at least) its form and consciousness is quite a traumatic experience for a daemon.
    The guards of the great citadel of Azyrheim hear thunder in the distance, even though the sky is clear. The sound suddenly gets louder as a great green tide crests a nearby hill.
    "Orruks! Orruks! Orkus! Orkurs! Orsuk! Sukkor! Kusor!"
    "..."
    "Oi, Stuff dis!"
    "Orcs! Orcs! Orcs! Orcs! Orcs!"

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcollider View Post
    There is some interesting info about banishments in the description of the Sould Grinder in the Daemons of Chaos armybook. Here it is mentioned that banished daemons will enter into a pact with the Forge of Souls to be placed into a metal contraption, in order to avoid the 'oblivion' that would otherwise await them.

Apparently, being banished and losing (for a time at least) its form and consciousness is quite a traumatic experience for a daemon.
    For what I remenber deamons are a competitive bunch(which is a nice way to said they hate each other) so when a deamon lose, other turned out to face him for their faliure.

granted I which they said something more about this, I always hate the idea thata deamon cant be destroy, it make them a little bit of a villian sue

Does it actually matter much (that how long is respawn time), because there are almost unlimited amout of daemons in the warp? They (big 4) can just throw them at you as tidal waves (depends on how strong winds of magik are), but named daemons come rarely.
    Conversion blog in Warseer - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...haos-creatures
    Conversion blog in Chamber of Everchosen members - http://s4.zetaboards.com/cotec/topic/9887054/

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razios View Post
    I always hate the idea that a deamon cant be destroyed
    Daemons can be killed by some (rare) magical weapons, gods, or other daemons.
    In the last two cases the daemon will be fully absorbed by its slayer and in turn make the god/daemon in question more powerful.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Razios View Post
    For what I remenber deamons are a competitive bunch(which is a nice way to said they hate each other) so when a deamon lose, other turned out to face him for their faliure.

granted I which they said something more about this, I always hate the idea thata deamon cant be destroy, it make them a little bit of a villian sue
    I'm inclined to agree, but I think basically the only way to deal with that in canon - given that this is true - is to conceive of their banishment being worse than simple oblivion. The depictions of 40k ships travelling through the warp suggests that daemons are constantly being taunted by reality, so if you think of banished daemons as sort of being in the position of Tantalus for a period of time, maybe that's better?

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave View Post

They need to walk back to their corpse to get their stuff back; it's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    They need to walk back to their corpse to get their stuff back; it's annoying.
    Usually I just take the penalty and spawn at the graveyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    The whole "Thousand years and a day" clause doesn't say which thousand years and a day however. Since time in the Warp is pretty fluid, a Daemon could be banished next tuesday only to return last week to get revenge for the time it's been stuck in the Realm of Chaos.
    Yeah but our time flows normally so I think it would be the other way around. Their "Next Tuesday" might be a thousand years and a day before their "Last Week."
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; 25-12-2014 at 00:48.
    Trying to figure out how to play 9th Age with round bases...

Commander

As far as I know, to be banished is to be defeated for a period of time... which is in itself a bit of a contradiction because the warp lies outside it. But anyway, for a want of a period of time they remain sentient but are unable to re-materialize upon the material sphere. Some daemons get crazy mad about this situation and enter into a pact with the Forge of Souls to be reborn as a Soul Grinder, perhaps not quite aware of how much of a bad news it is as each time they become they seem to lose a bit more of themselves before becoming subsumed entirely for want of a better term (the oblivion).

Presumably, a Daemon that continually fails his God will eventually **** it off enough to be utterly destroyed and reabsorbed by its Creator as well, although this could be rather rare due to the fact that the Gods are truly timeless, and allow Daemons to perform tasks that are seemingly against their own creator's creeds. (see; practically anything that Tzeentch does)

Quote Originally Posted by Arijharn View Post
    As far as I know, to be banished is to be defeated for a period of time... which is in itself a bit of a contradiction because the warp lies outside it. But anyway, for a want of a period of time they remain sentient but are unable to re-materialize upon the material sphere.
    The whole "Thousand years and a day" clause doesn't say which thousand years and a day however. Since time in the Warp is pretty fluid, a Daemon could be banished next tuesday only to return last week to get revenge for the time it's been stuck in the Realm of Chaos.
    Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-pope
    Quote Originally Posted by nonnopj View Post
    i stand corrected. NOBODY but spiderpope plays unbound. go check the BR on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfblade670 View Post
    Spider-pope, Spider-pope, does whatever a Spider-pope does. Can he swing into a thread? Of course he can, 'cause he's the Pope. Lookout, its the Spider pope...

Commander

This is entirely supposition on my part, but maybe it's the will of the banisher that somehow puts roadblocks in the daemon's ability to reappear, maybe they can't actually be summoned back to that area as long as the banisher remains (i.e., their soul is teethered to a life anchor) that acts as a stopgap in addition to any other restrictions (such as realspace not being 'thin' etc, etc)