Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Games Workshop looking for Freelance Writers

Games Workshop looking for Freelance Writers

Thought some people might find this interesting.

http://jobs.games-workshop.com/2015/...lance-authors/

Freelance Authors
    Posted on Friday 6 March, 2015

About the Job
    Do you want to write fantastic fiction of the highest quality for Games Workshop products to tight deadlines?

Are you excited by describing the unique worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 through gripping stories with evocative battle scenes that are full of character, whilst adhering strictly to Games Workshop’s intellectual property?

You will be able to provide written fiction that will be used in Games Workshop products. This will be on a freelance basis, to agreed deadlines. You will need basic knowledge of Games Workshop’s intellectual property and a desire to learn more.

Other Essential Information
    Closing date: We are always looking for new people who can do this job. Because of this, there is no closing date for this advert.

How to Apply
    If you wish to apply you must send us an email telling us what you want to write about the worlds Games Workshop has created and why (no more than 250 words please). This is a great opportunity for you to let us know that you understand what we are looking for.

We don’t need to know how long you have been in the hobby (if you are enthusiastic about writing fiction we’ll take that as a given) or your writing credentials (complete novices or Pulitzer prize winners are equally welcome). We want to know which part of the IP you are going to explore and why.

We will then ask you to complete two tests for us and, if successful, you will join our freelance author pool. All our correspondence will be via email. Because of the potential volume of responses, we cannot guarantee to respond to every application. However, we will endeavour to respond to successful applicants within 30 days of your application.

Please send your application letter to freelanceauthorsubmissions@gwplc.com.
    < This post has a report Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Commander

Re: Games Workshop looking for Freelance Writers

Does it mean they are throwing the old writers out?
    Originally Posted by IJW
    "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... It's a demon, kill it! Kill it with fire!"

More cost cutting, better to have writers on 0 hour contracts than actually retain Staff.

Or, you know, they could be looking to expand their current stable of writers. If other areas of the industry are any indication, it's getting more difficult these days to get new blood writing good stuff.

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Saunders View Post
    Or, you know, they could be looking to expand their current stable of writers. If other areas of the industry are any indication, it's getting more difficult these days to get new blood writing good stuff.
    Heretic. GW would never do that. Wanting to hire people is a bad thing. How dare you even suggest anything like that. :>)))

Also should be in General GW topic

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Primus View Post
    Does it mean they are throwing the old writers out?
    Yeah, sure. That's the logical conclusion to draw from this.

It means that they are looking for potential at the right places. If the rise of fan fiction told us anything, there are potentially a lot of great authors out there. I'll definatly give it a shot, this could be fun =)
    We both read the rumour, day and night,
    but you read black where I read white.

Quote Originally Posted by Scryer in the Darkness View Post
    (After someone claimed he was Phill Kelly) The real Phil Kelly would know how to spell his first name correctly.

Chapter Master itcamefromthedeep's Avatar

Good luck, BramGaunt.

Try bringing back the satire.

Also, more punk (class struggle) elements by emphasizing the disparate access to technology in the Dark Millenium.
    Play with more terrain.

Librarian

Hopefully guys with talent won't be drowned out by the million writers of bad fanfic going 'pick me pick me'...

Insert your own trite Mat Ward joke here.

I've only recently started putting my thoughts down in an attempt at storytelling. It'll be some time before I even attempt at an offering and that's after I've passed some stories privately among friends of the proper critiquing it'll naturally need.

Would anyone be interested in a writing circle thread specifically for people interested in this endeavor? I mean, who better to critique your work than like-minded hobbyists? Maybe we could make one in each of the background threads or just one in GW general?

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gobskrag 'Eadbasha View Post
    Would anyone be interested in a writing circle thread specifically for people interested in this endeavor? I mean, who better to critique your work than like-minded hobbyists? Maybe we could make one in each of the background threads or just one in GW general?
    Good idea, I think just one in GW General would be best
    Running out of things to build for the poor Sororitas.
    In the meantime planning and working on AdMech is pretty fun
    01000001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101000 01100001 01101001 01101100 00100000 01001101 01100001 01110010 01110011 00100001

Quote Originally Posted by stevegill View Post
    Good idea, I think just one in GW General would be best
    Well alright then, here it is: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...52#post7405852

Great idea, will definitely be contributing!
    To the thread (as well as hopefully to GW).

Whatever you try, do not expect this to pay well. A friend of mine writes novels to order for some RPG franchises and that's a lot of work for not so much money, paid unreliably.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodknight View Post
    Whatever you try, do not expect this to pay well. A friend of mine writes novels to order for some RPG franchises and that's a lot of work for not so much money, paid unreliably.
    Yeah, I figured. But getting paid any amount to tell a story (especially in such a rich setting) is the main draw for me.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodknight View Post
    I've written RPG supplements in the past, believe me I know it doesn't pay well, but that's not the point
    Running out of things to build for the poor Sororitas.
    In the meantime planning and working on AdMech is pretty fun
    01000001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101000 01100001 01101001 01101100 00100000 01001101 01100001 01110010 01110011 00100001

It would be interesting to know what they exactly wanted from you? Like how many projects per week, or words per story and the timescale for dealines?
    Warhammer Online - 24 classes miniature range plog

"Every man is a but spark in the darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    It would be interesting to know what they exactly wanted from you? Like how many projects per week, or words per story and the timescale for dealines?
    Exactly. I'm a freelance artist but I know my limits which are...deadlines. It's the reason I never felt 'safe' enough to apply for the artist vacancy. I'm an old-school oils and acrylics guy and those do not like deadlines, it's the reason for all the digital art we're seeing the last few years.

Writing however, I can do that. I'm certainly not the greatest writer but I've written a few well-received fanfics. Hopefully it is good enough for them.
    It really depends on how many stories they want and the word count. Don't care about the payment, I see it as an extension of my hobby involvement Definitely will be visiting the other thread as well!
    The only real unnatural act is one which you cannot perform.

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by LordFulgrim View Post
    Exactly. I'm a freelance artist...Don't care about the payment, I see it as an extension of my hobby involvement...
    The cynical part of my mind immediately latches onto this as exactly what companies out there want. TBH I'm surprised that as a freelance artist you would take that stance for any work - writing or not - as it devalues the freelance worker's product the more it happens.

Personally, I would love to participate in this but am assuming it would be a fair amount of time spent before finding out they are looking for a bunch of fans who want to "get the exposure" more than getting any value for their time producing an artistic (written) work. If that's what they are searching for, that's totally fair but IMO should be presented like that - not a call for "freelance writers".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast