Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Games Workshop looking for Freelance Writers

Re: Games Workshop looking for Freelance Writers

Why don't you have any copies? I can't think of any e-mail applications that don't have a 'sent' folder.

Quote Originally Posted by argentinatango112 View Post
    Have had a tab open for this for a while. Just need to work up a good sell of myself and my passion for the background side of the hobby/fanfic writing chops.
    It seems like you're a little too late. They took down the posting a while ago.
    Man, I've seen this all before, and there's only one way it can end. In blood, tears, and the limp-wristed flailing of nerd-slaps.
    How To Fight a Striking Scorpion: Do not make eye contact, if you do, you have been shot in the face.

Has anyone heard from GW regarding their submission recently? I submitted my test pieces on the 31st and have yet to hear back from them.
    Currently mustering the 34th Grand Host of the Word Bearers. Glory to Chaos! Death to the False Emperor!

Proud member of the Plastic Crack Rehab Clinic: www.pcrc.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Bookwrak View Post
    Why don't you have any copies? I can't think of any e-mail applications that don't have a 'sent' folder.

o.
    Haha silly me, your right.

Test 1

Before the old White Scar stood a towering hulk of gnarled green muscle, clattering with snake shaped glyphs and adorned with the helms of a number of Captain Nahu's clansmen. The monstrous beast was a braying maniac fighting with nothing but a heavy axe forged from bone and crude steel.

As the Ork came screaming forward swinging the hefty blade with abandon Nahu roared in return arching his own power sword in the hopes of cleaving the beasts side. To try to parry its attacks would shatter his blade. Nahu felt the wind rush through his topknot as the powerful axe screeched overhead, seeing his opening the Captain took his chance. Jabbing the power sword into the beasts flank Nahu dragged downwards serrating a jagged hunk from its body. Unperturbed the monstrous creature backhanded Captain Nahu, the blunt force proved powerful enough to topple the old space marine.

Pain screamed through the Captains shoulder as he found the beasts axe buried in his pauldron. The beasts stinking breathe washed over him as it leaned for a victory bellow. Nahu wrenched away and brought his blade down on the beasts shoulder, the power weapon cleanly slicing through muscle and bone. The beasts limb flopped to the ground with a wet thud and it looked strangely impressed with Nahu.

As the beast regained its bearings and turned for another strike with its axe Nahu punched through the beasts skull, his blade jutting through the back of its head like a gory horn.

Test 2

Sergeant Rodus stood before his squad of scouts, huddled together in a nervous quiet. A silence the old veteran had learnt to recognise in his freshest brothers. Not yet tempered in the fires of war to be forged into the weapons of death they had yet to realise they were.

"Brothers" he barked "the Necron menace dares come to our shores, here on Haephestus, to gather lost trinkets and to steal this world. Millions will perish and many more will feed their filthy, witchfire weapons".

The scouts looked up at this grizzled veteran whose face was a mess of scar tissue and bionics, in him they saw their fate.

"But we are the angels of death, we are the swords of the Emperor, the iron will, the symbols of hope to all mankind and the fulfilled prophecy of doom to our enemies. We are death, we are wrath and we are judgement. Brothers, you are amongst the ranks of heroes, demigods and champions, your names are legend. Live or die this day your deeds will be remembered by those who will be long forgotten."

Sergeant Rodus' voice reached a booming crescendo "Go forth, you are death and destruction; even to these tin men. You are Ultramarines, go forth and forge your chapters legend".

With a roar the Scout Sergeant stabbed his crackling power sword in the direction of enemy and charged forth towards the ranks of glistening, metal skeletons. Echoing their sergeants war cry his disciples followed.
    "Whom the Gods notice they destroy...be small and you will escape the jealousy of the great" The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Just an update, I got my rejection today, and also heard that one person has gotten an acceptance letter. Close, but oh so far? XD
    Man, I've seen this all before, and there's only one way it can end. In blood, tears, and the limp-wristed flailing of nerd-slaps.
    How To Fight a Striking Scorpion: Do not make eye contact, if you do, you have been shot in the face.

I notice everyone writes about the Greenskin losing, perhaps they wanted to see the Greenskin win?

Banned
    Maps used to say there were dragons here...

Quote Originally Posted by Khaines Wrath View Post
    Haha silly me, your right.

Test 1

Before the old White Scar stood a towering hulk of gnarled green muscle, clattering with snake shaped glyphs and adorned with the helms of a number of Captain Nahu's clansmen. The monstrous beast was a braying maniac fighting with nothing but a heavy axe forged from bone and crude steel.

As the Ork came screaming forward swinging the hefty blade with abandon Nahu roared in return arching his own power sword in the hopes of cleaving the beasts side. To try to parry its attacks would shatter his blade. Nahu felt the wind rush through his topknot as the powerful axe screeched overhead, seeing his opening the Captain took his chance. Jabbing the power sword into the beasts flank Nahu dragged downwards serrating a jagged hunk from its body. Unperturbed the monstrous creature backhanded Captain Nahu, the blunt force proved powerful enough to topple the old space marine.

Pain screamed through the Captains shoulder as he found the beasts axe buried in his pauldron. The beasts stinking breathe washed over him as it leaned for a victory bellow. Nahu wrenched away and brought his blade down on the beasts shoulder, the power weapon cleanly slicing through muscle and bone. The beasts limb flopped to the ground with a wet thud and it looked strangely impressed with Nahu.

As the beast regained its bearings and turned for another strike with its axe Nahu punched through the beasts skull, his blade jutting through the back of its head like a gory horn.
    There is a lot of 'beast(s)' in your test. As well as beast you could have used beast, brute, hulking monster, green skinned xenos, savage foe etc etc.

I sent in a submission and i failed,

I only failed on one thing, and that was grammar

That was the only thing!!!!!!

Did it also include punctuation?
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Banned

It rather reminds me of when some mathematicians offered a prize for proving Fermat's Last Theorem. Loads of people sent in their "proofs", hoping to win thousands of pounds for solving one of the world's oldest mathematical problems. The people checking the proofs would examine them and respond with something like, "your first error is..." It wasn't worth their time for them to find second and subsequent errors, because one error was all that was necessary to make the whole so-called proof worthless. There might have been more than one, but one was enough.

In other words, someone who wants to be a writer probably needs a reasonably strong grasp of grammar - editors might offer some guidance in various areas, and proof-readers can pick up typos and misplaced apostrophes or what have you; but ultimately being a writer involves writing, so you need to be good at it. Just like it probably helps accountants to be able to add up, and cabbies to be able to drive. Of course, understanding the rules of grammar doesn't inevitably make you a good writer, but it's a necessary (if not sufficient) condition.

Chapter Master

It's one of those things where BL has a very specific writing style that some authors ignore (Dan Abnett for instance, though he is increasingly doing non-GW work including script writing) but to get in you have to master it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrucillaCorker View Post
    Freelancing is on its rise at the moment.
    Have you been paying attention to what GW is doing to independent freelance videos on Youtube? Whole channels of original content have been closed down due to GW declaring ANYTHING pertaining to the worlds that they create, even if they are using it only as a backdrop, as a violation of their IP. Want to make a Youtube Video of your home made chapter? Not any more. Those who have independent channels have their days numbered due to Warhammer+ being rolled out there in the internet ether, with a monthly subscription of course. All of those people who have years worth of painting tutorials or bat reps, are now going to be in competition with GW as they are releasing their own tutorials and bat reps on their channel. Do you honestly think that GW is going to let that content simply be on Youtube without contesting it? I am not sure what possessed you to believe anything else, but I can guarantee that Freelancing is NOT on the rise at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffymcfluff View Post
    Warhammer for me is more fun when I can drink, smoke and swear at my dice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Vaughn View Post
    And dont tell me the rules are "Designed" to work better at certain points values, because the rules are many things but Designed aint one of them...
    My miniature blog. http://tinylegions.blogspot.com/
    www.classichammer.com - New Games with Old Rules

The two websites linked by DrucillaCorker have absolutely nothing to do with Games Workshop and any of their products. I suspect that this guy is at best a troll or at worst trying to setup a phishing expedition. Please avoid.
    And dont tell me the rules are "Designed" to work better at certain points values, because the rules are many things but Designed aint one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    The two websites linked by DrucillaCorker have absolutely nothing to do with Games Workshop and any of their products. I suspect that this guy is at best a troll or at worst trying to setup a phishing expedition. Please avoid.
    Weird that a guy with exactly 2 posts uses both of them to push a product.

Nope, nothing suspicious there!
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!
    Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wonder what could have happened if someone competent wrote them? Look no further.
    A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.
    Check out my bestselling book about the Spanish Civil War.

Get your custom title 'ere! Zemlod's Avatar

Can we report posts as spam and/or phishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Zemlod View Post
    Can we report posts as spam and/or phishing?
    Yeah, I think you can do it in the help forum.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!
    Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wonder what could have happened if someone competent wrote them? Look no further.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar von Toussaint View Post
    Yeah, I think you can do it in the help forum.
    I did that actually. CB showed me where to find the report button on these posts. I have reported it to CB, and he has an eye on this.

I have removed both posts; I will keep an eye on this user as the only two posts they have made promote other sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

From a certain perspective, this is a positive sign. Someone thinks the site is getting enough traffic make spamming worthwhile.

I will say that while the place is by no means hopping as it once did, I am sensing a bit more activity. The onset of cold weather is making think about getting back into working on my armies and it may be fun to post pictures. That part of the site seems to have the most activity so why not play to the strength?

That's true- the painting fora get the most attention these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3