Thread: dood515's Ork Log (Kogbasha's Trakkboyz)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

dood515's Ork Log (Kogbasha's Trakkboyz)

::::::::: PASTED OVER FROM THE WAAAGH! :::::::::

After a while away from the hobby, I've been feelin' orky, and by that I've been feeling Mekky!

I'm 2 rulebooks behind now so only time will tell if I bother to start playing again ... but here's the start of the mekboss' new tank!

Started off with some old chimera tracks (from one of the old part-metal hellhounds), managed to pry 'em open and double 'em up for that fatboy look.

Tore the horrible lumps off the sides and bolted on some metal plates.

It's my first time makin' me own tracks so hopefully they'll look alright with a little bit of detail added to each one ...

Here's the basic mockup of the shape:

My only issue for now is how to mount the turret ... I've got a box of beakie bits on the way, including a number of razorback back hatches, I'd strike a guess they're the same size as the BW turret?

Comments and moanins' welcome.

Re: dood515's Ork Log (Kogbasha's Trakkboyz)

So I completed tread set #1 !

Quite chuffed, doesn't look half bad to me ... or it won't when it's painted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little bit late for startin' the other tracks so I thought I'd get some plating done. Whilst I'm making my own tracks, why not give rivetting a proper go too?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Took a rivet gun to the tracks and replaced the plates on the side with some of my own, which I think look more consistent and better overall

Now to start on the other trackks ....

Progress! Rather than working on the other tracks like I should have done, I did something more exciting and built up the hull for a big shoota mount.

.... aaaand bits!

Notable haul:
    - 11 razorback top hatches
    - vindicator plow construct ( I think it's complete! )
    - vindicator cannon with cannon surround + front armour plate to fit it to (plus 2 thirds of another cannon)
    - several rhino top hatch doors
    - several rhino and landraider style doors
    - 8 or so tank hatches
    - missiles
    - worky panels

Might get round to them damn tracks now ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got the other tracks done ... not as good as the first set but they'll have to do as I ain't startin' again:

I added a bit more to the hull too, to tie all the plating together and make it look less like bits were just tacked ontop.

Probably the most plasticard work I've done and I'm pretty happy with it so far ...

Comments and moanin' welcome!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update!

What people want to see ... pictures! ::::

The structure of the top / back. Razorback top hatch with a COD pole for support and that chimera/basilisk plate before more platicard some werky bitz.

Also, finished plating up the other trackside.

so all that's left is the turret which will likely be the battlewagon one with with a russ or similar turret for me BOOMgun.

Comments and whatnots welcome!

Here's the start of the turret. It's the base end of a basilisk gun. The leman russ cannon's were too weedy for my likin' and this one was broken anyway ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't fancy buildin' right over one of the tracks but I've fancied a ram on him for a while ... though about using the vindicator one but opted for scratchin' one up.

Couple of rhino doors and some spikes off one of the old chimera rams and voila!

Still need to detail the turret ....

So like any self-respecting Mek ..... I started something else before the first one was finished! A Gunwagon! I've loved that old forgeworld model since I saw and I've been thinkin' a pair of mk1 rhino tracks would work pretty easily as a basis for one so I went ahead!

One ebay find and a few layers of paint and superglue later ...

MOCKUP:

With google as my only reference I thought I'd be able to find a profile shot of one o' these wagons but even so I can tell the front cab's gonna be quite a bit bigger than the forgeworld model's and I haven't a clue how I'm gonna make the engine .... I haven't the werky bitz I thought I had.

To do list stands at:
    - engine
    - plating
    - details
    - possible crew member/gunner

Trials and tribulations welcome!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right then, close enough to a year later and I picked the ol' boomwagon off the shelf!

Added more rivets where rivets should be and considered a few (tamiya?) barrels for exhausts.

------------------------
    It's looking a bit too neat and well-balanced. Someone suggested building over one of the tracks to make it very assymetrical but I didn't like that idea, any suggestions ?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
    NOTE: Sad to see what happened to the site and the loss of some great threads by some great people, I hope THE WAAAGH! can continue and grow back to it's old size and popularity! I'll be sure to post if and when I get any more done. My inner mek is back ... must be the new MAD MAX film I'll be seein' next week. Don't you miss it orkfans!

And that's the lot up-to-date. Feel free to reply now

Nice log youve got here! Proper orkyness in recycling old bits into new machines Keep em coming!

Love the base of the battlewagon. I reckon the turret can do with more width, with side parts extending over the tracks, to balance out the height and keep the overall look nice and squat and powerful.
    My blog collects all my modelling projects in one place. Head to From The Wastes for more.

Tanelorn Wargames Club
    meets every Thursday and Sunday in Leytonstone, East London. We play Blood Bowl, 40k, Warhammer, Malifaux, Warmachine and more.

Pretty sweet homemade tracks and rivetwork.

Your first wagon rather reminds me of the old, old, battlewagon of legend. (though that one was wheeled rather than tracked I believe).
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

Lack of inspiration on the gunwagon has led to another project bein' started .... (ok, the new Mad Max might have had something to do with the new project)

Got some nice big wheels from a toy at work and started a truck!

Bonnet and cab look rough as mork at the moment but it should come together - Kogbasha himself and mekboy barry -

Sat next to my nearly-stock truck he looks a good size so far

Chaplain

Awesome work so far man! I would not change a thing. I think that once you get some paint on it it will look amazing! By rhe way......what clan are you goin with and I hope you don't mind me stealing some ideas. Really like those tracks. And the new Mad Max is wicked insperation for Ork conversions.

@ Dark Mago Gillam - Thanks man! Not sure if and when they'll find paint but that's one thing I really need to improve ... Clanwise I guess they're an offshoot of Evil suns. Feel free to use the fat-track idea, I looted it from other players myself

Here's where I'm leavin' it for tonight:

That windscreen was far too weedy so it got done fixed!

Cheers

Chaplain

Was thinkin ylu could give the looted wagon a wreckin ball. That would offset it just enough for the orky look. Also may I suggest goin with dethskulls paint scheme. That would look awesome with these builds.

Howdy folks!

@Xedric: Thanks, I'm all about the diy and recyclin' as an ork and a weedy 'umie! (and not always just for the cheapness!)

@Fold: Thanks alot! The next idea I'm kickin' around is buildin' a turret bolted on the side of the main one, with flimsy-lookin' legs holding it on, A little like the shoulder-mounted stompa one. Someone suggested raising it away from the hull a little bit too, which I think it would benefit from.

@Zywus: Thanks! That means alot, considering it was my first proper(read as: not half-assed) go at both! That old wagon was indeed wheeled. Do you mean the 'lellow one? I'm almost certain the FW gunwagon was based off the original battlewagon, and mine based on that.

@Dark Magos Gillam: I had a look at the wreckin' ball idea but really this one was built for long-range combat. I am considerin' a nice unbalanced turret though! The clan colours are definately red for my orks. Kogbasha's Trakkboyz like nothin' more than speedin' headfirst into the fight! ( ... apart from the aforementioned boomwagon >.>)

PICTURES:

The truck cab got some details:

The wheel arches bolted themselves onto the engine bay:

eep
    ... then I spent waaaay too long lookin' at Irondog's trucks to leave my axels as the *poop!* sprue ones I usually do .....

Cut the leaf springs off the front of the frame, made up some strengthening brackets, and repositioned them further out front to where I wanted the axel: EDIT: The bar at the front WILL be recieving a support, yaknow so the springs actually look like they work >.>

Which, in terms of runnin' over weedy gits, looks like this:

I'm savin' the grille as a bit of a treat to myself ... It's easy to lose patience, makin' axels and suspension for the first time ...

Last picture is what the stance should look like when I get the rear suspension finished (plus gearbox, driveshaft, and diff)

- Thanks for lookin'

Howdy folks!

So 4 years away from the hobby and I've started to look at my orks again

Blew the dust off the BOOMwagon and gave him some exhausts. Thinking about a stowage rack/crew platform too

After a trip into town to pick up more plastic card/tubes/etc and some PROPPA tools I found some old metal Big Guns pieces in my bits box and started work on the missing wheels/gunshields:

-

I'm just modelling for my own enjoyment so weapon layouts might be different/wrong-looking on this thread
    Taking a slow and purposeful approach to my modelling this time round, which hoperfully shows in the Kannon model

What do you guys think?

Been stugglin' a little with the BOOMwagon so I cracked on with the Kannon

Finished the wheels and added some brackets so the shield would clear them. Added some details to the back of the shield too:

Painting started:

And finished:

Just need to make up some grot crew and I'll have finished something

Also I found this with all the metal Big Gunz bits, anyone know what it is? I'm not 100% if it's even GW, couldn't find anything online:

Thanks for lookin' !
    Last edited by dood515; 25-03-2019 at 00:18.

'ERE WE GO ...

Got a whole bunch of work done on the wagon

Fuel barrel:

Rokkit Launcha:

Glyphs, rivets, checks 'n' details added about the place:

How he looked before the next round o' work:

A few days later ...

Decided I needed to break up the expanse of tracks (as many people had told me earlier in this thread) and what better way to do that than with more dakka!

Added another level to the hull so I could fit some sponsons in. This also gave me the space for more werky engine bits on the back

Added more exhausts too as they didn't look wacky enough to me. More platin' n Rivettin' to do on the new bits as well

Cheers and thanks