Pretty straightforward. After almost derailing a thread discussing 6th and not getting a definitive answer as to the pros and cons, I decided to come up with this thread where we can discuss the pros and cons. Also, as more and more Oldhammer communities are popping up, this seemed as good a time as any to discuss.

Now for my views on the edition, and I will preface that these are indeed opinions and will not be treated as absolute law/fact unless specifically stated so.

Pros:

I feel this edition was the most complete feeling edition we've had in quite some time. We had an army list for every race in Ravening Hordes, so that each army was playable and balanced from the start. While a couple armies got stuck with that list alone, they were at least marginally supported for play, if not model availability.

Characters were dialed back to a level that made sense and scaled better with the individual armies. In 5th, you'd look across at a Dragon rider and had serious doubts you could deal with it. In 6th, the thought of that creature charging you and crushing your unit under a wall of attacks wasn't as terrifying as, well, Terror test.

The Force Organization chart, for lack of a better term, was also introduced which steered armies away from wall to wall elites mixed with allied elites and game ending wizards to massed lines of standard infantry with cavalry support and a couple elite regiments to taste. Armies started to look more like armies, and that is always a good thing. This also worked even better to establish balanced forces when combined with Composition scoring in tournaments, and with tournament play one of the considerations for the list building portion of the game.

The tweaking of the combat resolution system to emphasize weight of units. Gone were the days of ten man regiments of uber killy elites, replaced now by deeper Core regiments, the tide of battle ebbed and flowed with the pressure of the battle line. Leadership mattered, as well as strength in numbers.

Army specific magic items were yet another boon, as the lethal and exploitable combos of 5th were cast down.

Magic was also not a game changer anymore unless exploited, and fortunately there were not that many ways to exploit it.

Cons:

Fear autobreak. The main problem with this rule is that it was far too easy to exploit, and combining Fear with pretty much any cavalry made for a rather short combat. This is one change that 7th did that I approve of, giving Insane Courage as a speed bump to Autobreak. While it feels right to me that a mass of 60 skeletons pushing against a 15 man halberdier regiment should show some ill effects, I don't think having it be automatic without at least some way to save from it is very sporting at all.

Wizard batteries. I'm sure I speak for many when I roll my eyes at the thought of a Lizardmen army with three Skink Shamans filtering all their dice into a Slann to 5 dice every spell in his list. This is the other 7th Edition change I preferred, forcing people to think before sinking points into the Power Dice Council. It also made spell casting more tactical, and changed the dynamic of the movement phase as far as wizards went.

Certain army books hit that knocked the balance of the game off kilter, usually tied around FOC exploits or Comp exploiting. "Oh, you have a comp score tourney where you gain benefits for running more Core than anything else? Here's the new Chaos book, which lets you run every elite as Core depending on the general." And it wasn't just the four OP books, it was also underpowering or unnecessary penalty rules for armies simply because they were made after a strong book. This was probably the worst thing about 6th, as it wasn't fixable without either houseruling the hell out of said books, or dialing back to Ravening Hordes, which led to far less variety on magic items.

What were your thoughts? Do you or would you still play? Do you have nothing but contempt for that edition. Let your voice be heard and let the discussion commence.