Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reimaging Armour in Mordheim house rule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reimaging Armour in Mordheim house rule

We all know that armour is pretty useless in Mordheim. I had an idea for how to make armour almost an essential part of the game.

How about instead of getting an armour save your armour modifies the to wound hit. Leather armour gives you the equivalent of +1 toughness, heavy +2. Shields would have to have a completely new set of rules otherwise the concept would become broken. gromril armour will also need to be changed.

For shields i thought they could give a -1 to hit bonus. as it makes more sense. I'd also add a rule that you can shield bash in combat with the same rules as a mace. Perhaps this would mean shields would need to be 10 gold though.

The other thing that would have change is black powder weapons rule. That could be easily changed to negate armour bonus. This would definitely make handguns more popular than crossbows though. perhaps an increase in price for them would be necessary.

axes cutting edge is -1 to armour bonus.

I see some possible pros and cons for this.

pro - getting armour for your captain would be more valuable than getting an extra warrior

pro- it would increase weapon variations. At the moment running around with two maces is pretty standard. Two handed weapons and halberds are almost never taken since dual wielding hammers is better math. Having this armour rule in the mix would make people think about trying for that strength bonus.

con- could make armour too OP.

con - high toughness characters that can take armour will become cc monsters, moreso.

con - some weapons would stop being used, bows would become pretty hard to use - on the other hand i feel this is more accurate since a guy in heavy armour and sheild should be hard to kill with a bow and arrow.

Any thoughts on this as a viable house rule?

Re: Reimaging Armour in Mordheim house rule

My opinion is that this rule makes armor much to strong. A Vampire with heavy armor is going to be 6s to hit, in addition to T4 and 2 wounds.

We've done 1/2 price on all armor, with some success. Shields have been another matter, and are only really useful if you manage to get Gromil / Ilithmar (sp?) armor. I think doing something like "Shields reduce the result on a critical hit roll by 1" in addition to their +1 AS might make them worth taking: never having to get "2 wounds, no armor saves, +2 on the injury table" is pretty nice, and being able to turn 2 wounds would be nice. Might play around with that for my campaign...

Brother Sergeant

Our group was quite happy with the effects of making armour /shields/helmets 1/2 price as well as making a change to critical hits. For critical hits we house ruled that they ONLY ignored armour saves if that was the only effect of the critical, so only 1 of the results on each crit chart negated saves instead of all of them. Try this out for a campaign and you'll see that armour becomes far more a part of the game.

Armour has always been a tough one to regulate with house rules as any changes to it will, more than most other rules in the game, have a direct knock-on effect on many other rules and overall play style (as nicely covered in the original post such as modifying other weaponry etc).

In terms of background and fluff I suppose it makes sense that armour is a rarity in Mordheim as fights tend to be primarily fought in single combat. Whereas heavy armour and shields would be more suitable for a soldier in a battle-line where tactics are implemented on the idea of a shieldwall and the unit as a whole, I see Mordheim adventurers taking an almost gladiatorial approach to armour, i.e lighter and scarcely covering to allow for greater mobility.

As for in-game rules I don't think there is a right or wrong answer and it depends on the thoughts and preferences of each individual gaming group. The potential for house rules - both within the core rules and general campaign specifics- is one of this game's major strengths I think. As for personal preferences I've previously toyed with the idea of combining separate bits of armour to create a greater overall effect, such as heavy armour and shield granting an additional +1 bonus to the armour save in addition to the +3 a model would get already.

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

We just upped the threshold for applying armor save penalties from Str4 to Str5, and have been happy with that so far.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitwort Stormbringer View Post
    We just upped the threshold for applying armor save penalties from Str4 to Str5, and have been happy with that so far.
    That's a great idea. Simple yet elegant.

All good suggestions. I agree fluffwise a bunch of guys running around in heavy armour only seems appropriate if you're dwarves. Then again it doesn't seem out of place friekland heroes to have it.

Perhaps i'll give the strength threshold rule a try. Half pruce is a good solution but doesn't feel right fluffwise. Peasants shouldn't have platemail.

Perhaps Armour just needs the buff to revolve around those that intend to use it. A popular idea I've seen floated around is having light armour give a 5+ save (then heavy 4 and Gromril 3). This has a similar effect to increasing the str which starts to modify your save. I'm half tempted to say that both should be used.

Where you don't want to see Armour is on elves and vamps. So I would say that armour should cap your initative for combat and jumping/diving/etc to your save. For example, if you wear light Armour the maximum initiative you can use would be 5. Heavy would cap at 4. Then I'm not really sure what to do about Gromril and Ithilmar, but I guess the former should cap at 4, and the latter either at 5 or not have a cap...

Chapter Master

One idea that came to my mind lately was that there could be more armour categories that just light and heavy, then there could also be a wider range of armour saves. For example, there could be:

- Light armour, 6+ save
    - Medium armour, 5+ save
    - Heavy armour, 4+ save

with costs to be discussed.

That would still leave shields a bit weak, though. Warhammer Ancient Battles had as a special feature large shield (for troops like Roman legions, that had very big shields) that gave +2 armour saves, but that might make shields a bit too good when combined with lots of armour. And swashbuckling adventurers dashing around with weapon in both hands might look more cinematic than a bunch of guys forming a shieldwall.
    Who is Griefbringer? Read his poem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenyu
    Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. YouŽd be a pioneer.

Me and my friends are going to start a new campaign soon and have agreed on halving all armor costs (except shields) and nerfing str armor reduction to start from 5. Will let you guys know how well it goes after enough games are played.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingGod View Post
    There, I said it, old Necrons are the Twilight of the 40k setting. Now they're Interview with a Vampire.

Brother Sergeant

Currently running a campaign and to make it more appealing, we've done the following:
    - Nerfed the huge advantage of being armed with 2 melee weapons, giving the off-hand weapon a -1 to hit
    - Armour saves also give you a save against serious injuries

This way, it's more appealing to have a shield instead of 2 hand weapons and armour means the survivability of a character increases.

What do you guys think?

@ GriefBringer I like the idea about the 'middle' armour, but in the WHFB universe that is heavy armour. You have Light, Heavy and Full Plate, which I'd be more inclined to use.

My group has instituted a 6++ parry save for people armed with shields, in the same way as 8th ed WHFB. Also works for shooting at a shield-wielder's front arc.

Seems to help somewhat to boost shields, though I still don't think it matches 2 hand weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth87 View Post
    I'm all for throwing starter boxes of age of sigmar into the Boston harbor. Maybe it'll work a second time?

Plog: http://angularmagic.blogspot.com/
    Battles: http://bayareawarhammerfantasybattles.blogspot.com/

We are more then 20 games in on our campaign and almost no one has any armor yet even after all the changes we made. Half the cost of heavy armor is still the cost of a complete new henchmen (without gear) and they keep dying so they need constant replacements...
    For my defence I play Skaven so I can't get heavy armor but it kinda surprised that our Dwarf player didn't take advantage of this.
    Well, maybe we still have some games to go before the gangs will have enough extra gold for armor, we'll see.
    Last edited by Grok; 03-10-2015 at 16:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingGod View Post
    There, I said it, old Necrons are the Twilight of the 40k setting. Now they're Interview with a Vampire.

Huh, i thought using the off hand was already -1 to hit, it's just so intuitive.

I'm surprised your dwarf player hasn't taken advantage of it. I thought the dwarf strategy was to have a small grouo of tough buggers in mithril. Or is gromril. I forgot the dwarf armour name.

Banned

Its interesting to see different ideas about armor.

Armor in warhammer is cheap and just a way to cut down on wounds from weak hits. Heavy/elite units tend to have strength boosting two-handed weapons, lances,or raw strength with the added effect of making them armor piercing. Armor in Mordheim is more costly than the wearer.

I personally favor armor reducing the strength of attacks. The high cost of armor means that the player would have to choose, have a large mob unarmored mooks or some professional soldiers.

A large factor is that you cannot keep equipment after character using it dies. It encourages players to use the most expendable and boring equipment. Anyone run a campaign using rules for recovering equipment?

PS: Anyone have ideas about ranged weapons that can pierce armor? Common Misc equipment: Bodkin Arrows, adds -1 armor penalty to Attacks from all kinds of Bows. Cannot be combined with Hunting Arrows.
    Last edited by ChaosTicket; 02-10-2015 at 21:38.

That's not a bad idea - You could do something like, if you get a dead result on a hero, then if you won the game you recover equipment, otherwise your opponent can recover it. If you get a sold to the pits, and loose then you don't get anything back. similarly you don't get anything if your hero dies after a captured result.

Henchmen could be something like a 5+ you keep the equipment... Or perhaps, when you roll to see if they die, a 1 is dead and you loose the equipment, but 2 is death, with you keeping the equipment...

That would make winning all the sweeter. Loot the dead bonus.

The PC game has a looting mechanic like that. It seems to work ok.
    So long Old World, you had a good run.

I'm playing dwarfs and I've got to say that I've found that not only does armour normally get removed by Strength alone, the number of times the crit table ignores it is ridiculous making it unusable. I picked up half price Gromril to begin with and that has been ok but given that to get it now it costs 150 dollar, and you only have a 1 in 12 chance of finding it anyway, it's not even a consideration. Even heavy is expensive and doesn't offer all that much protection.

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by JimboDeany View Post
    I'm playing dwarfs and I've got to say that I've found that not only does armour normally get removed by Strength alone, the number of times the crit table ignores it is ridiculous making it unusable. I picked up half price Gromril to begin with and that has been ok but given that to get it now it costs 150 dollar, and you only have a 1 in 12 chance of finding it anyway, it's not even a consideration. Even heavy is expensive and doesn't offer all that much protection.
    This is why in our group we 1/2 the cost of armour but also made it so that critical hits only ignore armour if that is the ONLY effect of the critical. So any that double the wounds or add to the injury rolls still have to get through your armour.
    we found that armour was bought and used fairly often...especially compared to campaigns that used the rules as written.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast